News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Frank M

Photo Tour: Dismal River Red, Nebraska (All 18 Posted) New
« on: April 27, 2017, 11:27:18 PM »
I was fortunate to be able to take a trip out to Dismal River last June. I had never visited Nebraska, but have wanted to for quite some time. There is nothing like the Nebraska Sandhills and Tom Doak did an absolutely stunning job of routing this golf course up, down and around some wonderfully dramatic topography.

The front nine plays among the dunes and the back nine dives down into the Dismal River valley offering a very different experience from the White course. We were there during a particularly ferocious bug season, which kept me from getting a couple of photographs. It was literally so bad the camera would pick up bugs across the entire photo. All I'll say about that is I had a nice bug collection after the round, both alive and not so much, and in places I didn't even know existed.

I forgot to take a scorecard home with me (which is really sad, as I collect them  :'( ) and with no real teeing areas to note yardages from, I won't be listing any.

Also, if anyone can tell me why photos come out lower res once posted here that would be great.

Enjoy.

HOLE 1

Fairway

Green

HOLE 2

Fairway

Green

HOLE 3

Green

HOLE 4

Fairway

Green

HOLE 5

Green

HOLE 6

Fairway

HOLE 7

Look towards the clubhouse from 7th tee

Look across the front nine from 7th tee

Fairway

HOLE 8

Fairway

Green

HOLE 9

Fairway (no photo of green :( )

HOLE 10

Dismal River and the 18th hole from 10

Fairway

Fairway 2

Green

HOLE 11

Green

HOLE 12

Aiming Point

Fairway

HOLE 13

Fairway

HOLE 14

Fairway

Green

HOLE 15

Fairway

HOLE 16

Green

HOLE 17 (No tee shot photo :( )

HOLE 18

Fairway
« Last Edit: July 04, 2024, 05:02:13 PM by Frank M »

Mark Kiely

Re: Photo Tour: Dismal River Red, Nebraska (Holes 1-6 Up)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 02:20:36 AM »
Looks spectacular! (And the bugs sound awful!)
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Matt Elliot

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 10:43:25 AM »
Great pics. Love this course! I will be doing my first Hundred Hole Hike on the Red Course on June 19th!  I can't wait!  My goal is 150 holes in one day.  I can't think of a much better place to do it than Dismal River Red!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 11:00:23 AM »
Never mind.... Looked at the photos too quickly.

Looks great
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 12:49:37 PM by Ally Mcintosh »

RJ_Daley

Re: Photo Tour: Dismal River Red, Nebraska (All 18 Posted)
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 01:06:13 PM »
When I was there last June, I can't say as I noted any significant mowing lines narrowing.  I would say that they apparently received more rain over winter/spring of 2016, and that effects the rough, dry pasture density out there considerably.  But, I'd say that 70% or more of the rough areas are ball-findable and playable.  Like Carne, there are some steep slopes into rough areas that a fellow would maybe choose not to go down there and risk twisting and ankle, etc.  But, where the breeze blows irrigation into rough and low areas, there are unplayable areas.  Not that many as one would think, however.  There is a great deal of cart traffic and mowers and such that do leave tire traces in the fescue, which are not a playable issue, just appearance. 

I played SHGC that same June week, and the rough there is notably even more sparse and playable.  I can't explain that being 5-6 miles up the Dismal R. as the crow flies.  Nicklaus course also being a few years more mature, is a bit more dense rough, but mowing lines there also not notably more narrow. 

Maybe someone else has a different observation.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Frank M

Re: Photo Tour: Dismal River Red, Nebraska (All 18 Posted) New
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 03:31:17 PM »
When I was there last June, I can't say as I noted any significant mowing lines narrowing.

I was there same month and didn't notice anything I can speak of.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2024, 05:02:40 PM by Frank M »

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 04:00:48 PM »
Thank you for sharing Frank
Great pictures
Why is there an aiming point on 12?
The fairway is 100 yards wide.
An obfuscated target seems like the intent.
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Frank M

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 04:16:05 PM »
Thank you for sharing Frank
Great pictures
Why is there an aiming point on 12?
The fairway is 100 yards wide.
An obfuscated target seems like the intent.
Cheers

;) good question.

If I remember correctly, it's used for line, something like left of it you see the green and right of it you don't, but I may be remembering incorrectly. Truthfully, I just recall thinking it was completely arbitrary to me other than for a photo. They can take it or leave it and it would make absolutely zero difference to me. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 04:19:15 PM by Frank_M »

glenn.hackbarth@gmail.com

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 06:17:50 PM »
Nice photos!!  Thanks.

Fairways look lush.  More than I expected.  Do they play firm and fast?

Jason Thurman

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 09:28:24 PM »
Never mind.... Looked at the photos too quickly.

Looks great

Man, party foul on editing the post that provoked rebuttals from the next two posts.

Especially because I think your mistake is one that others will make at first glance too: that the half-and-half mowing pattern is a little deceptive in photos. It almost makes the right side of 1 fairway look like part of the rough, for example.

Glenn, on my visit the course was firm and fast, though maybe less so than some other modern courses on sand. Kingsley and Ballyneal both come to mind. And I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Dismal plays fast and firm by any standard, but it's softened enough from what Mother Nature might provide on her own so as to keep the course fun to play even as conditions become harsh.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Frank M

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 11:28:17 PM »
Nice photos!!  Thanks.

Fairways look lush.  More than I expected.  Do they play firm and fast?

Driving into the club, I was a bit surprised at how green the Red course looked as well. That said, it played about as perfect as I could have hoped for. Lots of fun!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2017, 02:53:03 AM »
I'd edited it before the rebuttals, Jason.... Dick must have taken a Proustian time in composing his post.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2017, 01:58:26 PM »
Yes Ally, all my memories of DR are vivid and tasty, though not so brief.  You sent me to the Google define....  ;D ::) 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2017, 02:39:06 PM »
The cart tracks are my only beef.  They detract.  A single mowing height is my second suggestion.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Jason Hines

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2017, 06:52:54 PM »
Played 3 rounds on the Red Course one late July afternoon and my smile grew throughout the day...  Not one weak hole in my mind..

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back