News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Connolly

Re: Most Dumbfounding Thing You Have Seen or Heard Regarding GCA?
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2017, 10:52:54 AM »
Sorry, JK, I cast my net a wee bit further than that. If the comment was indeed directed at Jeff, it was bush league. And as an attempt at "grown up fun," it was ham-fisted.
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2017, 11:17:38 AM »
Sorry, JK, I cast my net a wee bit further than that. If the comment was indeed directed at Jeff, it was bush league. And as an attempt at "grown up fun," it was ham-fisted.
Add another voice to those surprised and disappointed by Joel's comment. The harshness would be out of line for just about anyone - but especially when directed at such a reasonable and solid guy like Jeff.  And if for some reason it was meant as a slag against the organization and/or Jeff's courses, it was just plain silly.,  as if an entire career of good and sometimes exceptionally good solid work was something to be looked down upon. How do *you* judge a man, Joel -- by the size of his wallet?

BHoover

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2017, 11:42:44 AM »
Muni courses should be shut down because they aren't fair.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2017, 11:55:57 AM »

Get over it people. This reminds me of when you make fun of a guy for talking too much about going to Harvard. In the end..the guy went to Harvard. The brag post is a GCA staple and it never hurts for someone to call us out on it. You're a member where, you're playing where, you rate for whom, you were the president of what? It's all in good ole fashioned grown up fun.

JK,

Although I am proud to be an ASGCA member and past president, I actually switched to that signature line in part so newcomers here at least have some idea who they are talking to.  And that in part owing to Ran outlawing fake names so posters couldn't hide behind some of their more disgusting posts, i.e., back when you regularly posted as "Barney."

And you can call me out without calling me names, although, to be completely honest, there have been a few posters (mostly Merion related heated discussions....) I have called names myself.  So, I don't expect perfection, but did ask for clarification for a comment that seemingly comes out of nowhere. 
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Garland Bayley

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2017, 12:14:20 PM »
I was in the pro shop at Redtail in Portland hearing the pro telling a golfer how his swamp was as good as the courses at Bandon Dunes.

A green committee chairman, who was clearly trying to reroute a creek so that his tee balls wouldn't go into it, explained how he planned to dry out the area where the creek was by putting drain pipe to the new location. Clearly he didn't understand what Sir Isaac Newton told us about gravity.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

BCowan

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2017, 12:19:21 PM »
That Mid Pines was a Doak 5

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2017, 12:19:58 PM »

Garland,

I have seen two examples of that situation.

One was a golf befuddled by a tree between two fairway, wondering why it should be there to force him to decide whether to aim right or left.  Have hears similar things about creeks, steep banks, bunkers, etc.  Total waste of time to convince them that decisions making was probably the reason they were put there......or to offer punishment for bad thinking and swinging combined.

At Wild Wing, I had carved a grass bunker in front of the 15th tees.  Lack of grade required me to let water in through a flared end section, rather than catch basin with a rim.  A golfer in my group topped a tee shot, which got in that pipe, which flowed to a pond near the green.  After putting out, we saw his ball plop out of the pipe on to the pond.  He retrieved it and was happy to get the ball back, considering that a win (at $4 per ball, it probably is)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2017, 02:08:26 PM »
Jeff,

Do you really believe that there is a soul in the world that doesn't know that you are an architect that has heard of the ASGCA? Most likely people read your tag line and think you like kittens.

Steve Lang

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2017, 02:33:12 PM »
John K,

I think its funny that you have Myspace link on your signature and was dumbfounded that it says you have NO CONNECTIONS!
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2017, 02:49:57 PM »
My attempt to bring back MySpace as an internet tour de force could be construed as a failure.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2017, 04:11:35 PM »
"I must apologize as our waterfalls are not working today"
Proud member of a Doak 3.

MCirba

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2017, 04:49:54 PM »
My attempt to bring back MySpace as an internet tour de force could be construed as a failure.

;D
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Mike_Young

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2017, 06:25:27 PM »
I just went back and read my post reply#3 which is the statement Joel was replying to.  And I read Joel's statement again.  He never mentions anyone by name and I have seen the "past president" thing used many times on websites and in presentations by others in my area.  One past president used to have the website  www.asgca.com and the organization had www.asgca.org but at some point it looks like he gave it up.  BUT, back to the post.  He may not have been talking of JB since the past president thing has been used in California before a few times I am sure.  The more pressing thing for someone like me is that I would have to assume JB and others in the ASGCA believe the statement quoted on their website and copied here by me.  And that is fine by me if he does.  It doesn't change my good opinion of JB but it does put myself and others in a defensive position and it puts them in an arrogant position.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Randy Thompson

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2017, 07:13:08 PM »
I don`t want to think when playing golf, I want to execute good shots and be properly rewarded!

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2017, 09:45:52 PM »

Jeff,

Do you really believe that there is a soul in the world that doesn't know that you are an architect that has heard of the ASGCA? Most likely people read your tag line and think you like kittens.

JK,

Honestly, I am not well known, and I have had interchanges here before realizing I was speaking to a foreign based architect or someone's design associate.

And speaking of insults, I am a dog person. ;)  While cats can be part of the rodent control team, whoever heard of a golf course cat?  Is there a superintendents cat calendar?  Or, walking your cat on the golf course?  Talk about dumbfounding statements.....LOL

Garland Bayley

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2017, 03:00:03 AM »

???

Garland,

I have seen two examples of that situation.

One was a golf befuddled by a tree between two fairway, wondering why it should be there to force him to decide whether to aim right or left.  Have hears similar things about creeks, steep banks, bunkers, etc.  Total waste of time to convince them that decisions making was probably the reason they were put there......or to offer punishment for bad thinking and swinging combined.

At Wild Wing, I had carved a grass bunker in front of the 15th tees.  Lack of grade required me to let water in through a flared end section, rather than catch basin with a rim.  A golfer in my group topped a tee shot, which got in that pipe, which flowed to a pond near the green.  After putting out, we saw his ball plop out of the pipe on to the pond.  He retrieved it and was happy to get the ball back, considering that a win (at $4 per ball, it probably is)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back