News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Brauer

Most Dumbfounding Thing You Have Seen or Heard Regarding GCA?
« on: February 17, 2017, 11:17:45 AM »

Been thinking about this for a while. And have posted these before, but my two are architects telling me:

1. I allow 3-4 days for design of an 18 hole golf course.

2. (different architect) "Well, you're going to have a few bad holes, so I don't spend much time worrying about eliminating them, if it takes more than a day or two design time."

3. (Club Member) "Don't you think it should be just as easy to reach a par 5 in two from a fairway bunker as it is from the middle of the fairway?

Not sure where the non-designers responses might go here.  Thinking more of stupid statements rather than pictures of holes you don't like, unless really bad design that could have seemingly be corrected.

Discuss, and I will check in later.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

David McIntosh

Re: Most Dumbfounding Thing You Have Seen or Heard Regarding GCA?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 02:20:08 PM »
Only yesterday I heard Ewan Murray (I think) on Sky Sports say "that's just bad design" about the 10th at Riviera when Luke Donald tried to drive the green, ended up short right and had to chip out to the front of the green about 90° from the pin.  ::)

To his credit, Rich Beem protested that he didn't agree and that he'd argue the point with Murray all night!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 02:53:56 PM »
I think you mean "confounding." "Dumbfounded" is an adjective, but means something else.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#safe=strict&q=dumbfounding

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mike_Young

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 08:17:15 PM »
"When you choose an ASGCA architect, you can be certain you are hiring the best the industry has to offer."   ASGCA website

Just could not resist ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

John Connolly

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 08:31:21 PM »
"Trees make a course prettier."
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

mike_beene

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 12:03:16 AM »
Don't pull that Royal Melbourne is great crap on me. I have played it. It's a pasture and you have to cross roads.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 09:32:20 AM »
If you're on the green you should be able to one-putt.

BHoover

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 09:44:50 AM »
That is unfair.

You should not be permitted to mark your ball on the green.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 09:48:30 AM by Brian Hoover »

BCrosby

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 12:41:49 PM »
Not sure they are "dumbfounding", because you hear them often:

1. X is unfair.

2. If on the green, I should have a reasonable chance at two-putting. Lots of great greens don't give you a reasonable chance at two putts if you are on the wrong side of the hole. What greens do owe you, I think, is a reasonable chance at keeping your first putt from rolling off the green.

Bob   

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 01:21:08 PM »
Not sure they are "dumbfounding", because you hear them often:

1. X is unfair.

2. If on the green, I should have a reasonable chance at two-putting. Lots of great greens don't give you a reasonable chance at two putts if you are on the wrong side of the hole. What greens do owe you, I think, is a reasonable chance at keeping your first putt from rolling off the green.

Bob   
  Your last point reminds me of Tiger Woods putting off the 13th at Augusta into the creek.  At that time he was the best putter in the world!   So I don't think the GCA owes us much more than an opportunity to make fools of ourselves.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 01:39:17 PM »
The grass is not green so it is not a good course.

Why would an architect make me chip away from the hole?

BCrosby

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 02:49:23 PM »
Bill -

Good point. I once putted off the 11th green at Crystal TWICE. Humiliated, I picked up and tried to disappear into the forest on the way to the 12th tee.

Though not about architecture per se, another one I heard while Green chair at my club:

"The fairway grass is not all the same shade of green." I heard that from several people actually. You can imagine what the same guys thought about the US Open set-up at Pinehurst No. 2 a couple of years ago.

Bob

Matthew Essig

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 05:06:50 PM »
"Why put a bunker in the middle of the fairway? Why punish a perfect drive?"

That left me dumbfounded.
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 05:27:57 PM »
"When you choose an ASGCA architect, you can be certain you are hiring the best the industry has to offer."   ASGCA website

Just could not resist ;D

+1. 

Also past presidents who prostitute their names as a past president.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 06:55:20 PM »
The guy who couldn't understand why anyone would ever play Rustic Canyon when Moorpark Country Club is right there.

Paul Jones

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 09:29:37 PM »
If we cut down the trees, the rough would be too thick and make the course harder...
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 09:49:11 PM »
As a Golfweek Rater, you represent the crème de la crème of the golf world. Our exclusive Rater Collection allows you to show off your elite status as you trek the globe in search of the game’s top tracks.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2017, 11:05:12 PM »

Just could not resist ;D

+1. 

Also past presidents who prostitute their names as a past president.

Been called a lot of things here in my 16 years.....this is the lowest. :(

Would be interested in knowing just what about using my ASGCA initials makes me a prostitute?  Or whatever thing I have done or said here that makes you think so lowly of me.  Thanks in advance.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Steve Lang

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2017, 11:39:10 PM »
Joel Stewart,

I believe you owe Jeff B an apology or recant of that comment, it was really uncalled for, rather crass in my opinion. 

Aren't you proud of any professional accomplishments or titles you've attained?   
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2017, 11:52:41 PM »
"I can't stand links courses. They never water the greens properly. You can hit a great wedge in and it just bounces off. Absolute rubbish!"

RJ_Daley

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2017, 12:02:57 AM »
You beat me to it Duncan.  I hear many a men's club member complain that the Super didn't water the greens enough because they are not holding shots that land on the green. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2017, 12:54:24 AM »
You beat me to it Duncan.  I hear many a men's club member complain that the Super didn't water the greens enough because they are not holding shots that land on the green.

I actually had a GM that once told me that.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Scott Warren

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2017, 05:46:36 AM »
I was talking about the Bonnie Doon renovation today at my new club and saying how massively OCCM has improved the course.

Playing partner looks me dead in the eye with a straight face and says "what have they done? Planted lots of trees?".

BCowan

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2017, 10:09:38 AM »
Joel Stewart,

I believe you owe Jeff B an apology or recant of that comment, it was really uncalled for, rather crass in my opinion. 

Steve, I agree

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2017, 10:38:00 AM »
Get over it people. This reminds me of when you make fun of a guy for talking too much about going to Harvard. In the end..the guy went to Harvard. The brag post is a GCA staple and it never hurts for someone to call us out on it. You're a member where, you're playing where, you rate for whom, you were the president of what? It's all in good ole fashioned grown up fun.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back