News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean Walsh

King Island Trip
« on: January 13, 2017, 05:01:12 AM »

I'm looking to visit King Island some time this year and was wondering if others on the board wanted to put together a group.

My plan would probably be to just do King Island for 3-4 days but I could also be convinced to do 2 days KI and 2 days Barnbougle.

Either reply or DM me if you're interested.

Also if anyone that has already visited has any tips re airlines or any other aspects of a visit drop me line

Mike_DeVries

Re: King Island Trip
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 02:03:55 PM »
Sean,

Check out http://capewickham.com.au/ for the most up-to-date information on bookings, getting to the island, etc.  GM Debbie Fisher does a great job of informing and taking care of visitors to the course.  Lots of options from all three Melbourne airports and only 40 minutes to the island.

Have fun!
Mike

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 03:47:39 PM »
Sean
I saw Duncan Andrews (the CK owner) and he was thinking of closing the course in winter - so check on that. It's often the best time to play Barnbougle - less wind,very few golfers and often decent weather.

Sean Walsh

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 12:27:10 AM »

Thanks guys.

If Tom and Bill Coore chime in I'll have the set.  :)

Simon Holt

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 12:58:37 AM »
I hope they don't close in the winter - I've booked flights for the end of April!

A kick in the balls would be defined as 10555miles from North Berwick to King Island, to be told "we are shut today".  Debbie said they have lots of availability when I asked how busy there are at the end of April.
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Joe Zucker

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 01:04:16 AM »
According to their website, the course will be closed June 15 - Sep 15.  I emailed them a month or so back to see if there is any flexibility with the dates and they said probably not.  Debbie said I could check a week or so in advance of the reopening in September, but not to bet on them being open before the 15th.

Greg Gilson

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 01:04:54 AM »

Simon...from the website:
GOLF SEASON: Golf and accommodation season at Cape Wickham Links – Opens 15 September. Closes 15 June.A slightly smaller kick in the balls may be to make that journey only to experience the best of Bass Strait weather in April. That said, coming from North Berwick, you will probably not be perturbed.
If you have 17 minutes, take a look at this:
http://www.aussiegolfer.com.au/the-golf-show-travels-to-king-island-to-play-ocean-dunes-and-cape-wickham-video/

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 09:56:57 AM »

Sean:

I assume you've been to Barnbougle more than once.  If so, I wouldn't try to combine that trip with King Island.  Play both of the King Island courses twice, and do play the nine-hoper in Currie as well -- either on your way in, or saving it for the windiest day, since it's fairly wide open and forgiving.

I personally don't think they're as good as Barnbougle and Lost Farm, but of course, I wouldn't.  ;)

If Tom and Bill Coore chime in I'll have the set.  :)

I imagine this is as far as you'll get, but good luck with that.

Simon Holt

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 10:09:36 AM »
Thanks Glen.  I took a peak at that the other day.

I'm not sure the time of year matters from what I hear.  A few guys had made the trip mid-Feb last year and said it was unplayable wind their day at Ocean Dunes, not much better at Cape W.  I'm really looking forward to it either way. 
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

David Davis

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 04:00:29 PM »
I'm heading over second week of February and combining it with Barnbouble. Mainly because I like to go against the grain and do everything wrong. I'm hoping for high winds given it's mid Feb, anything less that what most claim is unplayable would be a disappointment but I'm sure I'll have fun anyway.

Barnbougle 6-8 and King Island 8-10 Feb.

Crossing dates with anyone?
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 07:52:36 PM »
One of my best friends just got back. Said he saw a tiger snake on the second hole and couldn't shake the fear.... ;D

Three hours to live if you're bitten.

1. 30 mins to get off the course.
2. 60 mins to the airport
3. 40 minute flight to Melbourne
4. 30 minutes to the hospital

Didn't like the math...

But thought the course was as good as golf gets.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back