News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

Re: THANK YOU from Ben, Joe and Ran
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2017, 09:34:48 PM »
I'll vote for a permanent moratorium on brew pub related threads. I know the bearded youth like some suds after golf but gimme a break.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2017, 12:16:59 AM »
Ran - as always, thanks for creating this site and giving all of us the opportunity to know each other and discuss our favorite subject.

I will offer my same yearly suggestion... PLEASE, let's have a Ran Morrissett "Thread of the Month"

Just ONE new thread by you each month. It's not too much to ask... surely a man of your intellect can come up with one query every 30 days.  ;D

As Dabo says, "Let the light within you shine brighter than the light that shines on you."
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2017, 02:13:51 AM »
I think it isn't a big deal to have a couple week moratorium with a top line highlighted statement on first page clearly making it obvious that the moratorium is temporary BECAUSE as stated, you want to encourage people to look back at threads that were often well presented as a question or point of interest, but got too little response because they may have gotten lost in more superficial but fast moving threads.   

I personally don't post much these days, because there are newer posters that have their own exciting new GCA discoveries that they are anxious to discuss, yet may have been covered in years past where as an older poster I already offered my views, and it is more fun to see newcomers first realize some particular thing.  Not to say I or other older posters know it all, far from it.  Just that the redundancy seems to me to be a drag on the newcomers enthusiasm.  And, I must confess that I find myself forgetting details I used to know a bit about and have forgotten from atrophy of the brain, not using or applying learned tid bits in the real world.  So, why clutter up a discussion between currently knowledgeable people on matters like turf science practices, or construction techniques between actual professionals doing in real time.  I prefer to ask questions when something is said that I might have come across and and someone's new observation triggers a thought.

I still wish there were a direct photo posting function like people can post to Facebook or other social media directly from your own computer's photo gallery rather than a web photo hosting site.  It could be managed with an accompanying well thought out policy that if the poster starts posting too many photos that become less informative of the GCA involved and more about one's excellent adventure on a golf trip. 

I wouldn't discourage the friendly meet-ups threads that take place and get organized here.  I think it is vital to have the secondary outlet of actually getting together niblick to niblick at some of these courses that capture our imaginations, to really solidify the collegiality and fellowship that exists on this site, like no other site I know of..
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2017, 06:36:35 AM »
The 'Thank you from....' in the title is the wrong way around.
It should say 'Thank you to Ben, Joe and Ran' given all you do for this site, the participants and golf generally.
atb

Kevin_D

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2017, 08:05:52 AM »
Like many here, let me extend my thanks to Ran, Ben and Joe!
I don't post very often (I need something intelligent to say first!) but I do lurk, and must say that I agree that the content here (both discussion group and course profiles) is as good as it's ever been.
This site helped foster my love of golf architecture, so it was quite a thrill to see my very own club (Wykagyl) profiled in 2016.
Looking forward to seeing more of the same in 2017, and I will even try to chime in and add to the discussion from time to time!

Kevin

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2017, 09:23:53 AM »
It should say 'Thank you to Ben, Joe and Ran' given all you do for this site, the participants and golf generally.
atb

I'm glad someone voiced what I was thinking. This place has been a home from home for me in so many ways.
Live long and prosper.

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2017, 06:40:58 PM »

This is exactly right.  This website has done so much to improve my understanding of golf architecture and enjoyment of the game.  Thanks for that.

The idea of blocking new threads for a period of time is an interesting one.  Why not try a few days and see how it goes?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back