News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philippe Binette

Golf par nature / Golf by nature - book, part 4
« on: September 20, 2016, 10:23:25 PM »
Hi GCA,

I'm publishing a book project that was waiting around on my computer....

http://binettegolfarchitecture.blogspot.ca/2016/09/golf-par-nature-golf-by-nature.html

As the title suggest, nature (the composition and landscape of a site and the society that creates and look after the site) is a major influence in golf course architecture

Enjoy your reading and it would be nice to hear some thoughts

« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 09:34:10 PM by Philippe Binette »

Peter Pallotta

Philippe -- thank you for posting this. That was a well written and enjoyable read -- in both languages! I think the strength of your writing and the clarity of your ideas must be due to how well you understand the subject, both as an architect and as a golfer. Many wonderful images/sentences/ideas. One of my favourites was when you described the match play at Prestwick, with both golfers trying to hit their shots over the Himalayas; and then, when a "7" wins the hole over an "8", you write: "Nature hadn't been beaten this time, but it was still a victory". A great line!

Thanks again
Peter   
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 11:00:47 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Ben Attwood

Fabulous! Congratulations. I enjoyed the brevity, the clarity and the pace. Thank you for sharing it.

Tom_Doak

Philippe:

I like what I've read so far.  Is it all complete or still a work in progress?

It looks like exactly the kind of thing landscape architecture students should read so that they understand the rationale of the game a little better.

Keep it coming ... though I am in England for a few days from tomorrow, so you can pause it a bit if you like  ;)

Philippe Binette

Re: Golf par nature / Golf by nature - book, part 3 - Course and routing
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 10:54:44 AM »
The part 3 is now available,

thoughts on routing and the perception of a course..

http://binettegolfarchitecture.blogspot.ca/2016/09/golf-par-nature-golf-by-nature-part-3.html

enjoy

Philippe Binette

Joey Chase

Re: Golf par nature / Golf by nature - book, part 4
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 09:59:45 AM »
Philippe,

As a golf architecture geek living in a french speaking region of the world, thank you for the lovely writing.  It is hard to get people here to really understand the quality of golf they have and the need to preserve and enjoy it.  Will you be producing a hard copy of this as well?  My entire greens committee could learn from a copy of this.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 12:36:49 PM »
Joey:

A hard copy would by nice, the cost of it is a bit of an issue for now

In which part of the world are you... You might have noticed that the text in french is slightly different than the one in english in some occasions.. It was a fun part to do during the translation

Joey Chase

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 01:57:28 PM »
I am currently in Switzerland at Domaine Imperial.  I can vouch for at least 20 copies!  I would love to get together, let me know if you want a game sometime.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back