News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Dales

Irrigation heads in reclaimed greens
« on: October 12, 2016, 12:11:11 PM »
When attempting to reclaim lost areas of classic greens one of the objections is often the cost of moving irrigation heads that have crept into the green pad as well. I have seen some clubs that did it anyway (Detroit Golf Club) and I found it to be no big deal-just take relief if it interferes. Any thoughts on this?

Joe Hancock

Re: Irrigation heads in reclaimed greens
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 09:01:46 PM »
If it's worth doing, do it right.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 09:11:41 PM »
This is a very good question. Yes, I always prefer to do it right but if that is not an option I'd recapture and take relief as appropriate under a local rule.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 11:50:13 PM »
If you do it right, it doesn't take much to move irrigation heads.  Move em and nozzle up...problem solved.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 01:50:24 PM »
Jim: 

Jeff and I played the CC of Jackson (MI by Donald Ross originally) a couple weeks back and this discussion went on for 18 holes.  If this occurs in only one green or maybe two you could live with it until your next irrigation system project, but at Jackson we (including a well known super) thought the green recapture would be necessary on at least 16 of 18, if not all 18, greens.  That would get old in a hurry.  This is particularly true, because part of the greens recapture would be to get corner pin positions that have been out of play since WWII.  So the old heads would come into direct play in critical areas not just some occasional peripheral thing.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back