News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

O/T? Why is golf out of fashion for writers?
« on: September 30, 2016, 02:55:14 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/sep/30/why-golf-writers-out-of-fashion-ryder-cup

A blessedly brief look at the subject.  Doesn't go on to make the obvious(?) point that Golf was something done by those who were rebelled against in the great change decade the 60's.

If it's not cool for writers its hardly surprising it's not cool generally.  Hollywoood stars mostly spurn it, and the 'celebs' at the Crosby are as tangential to the front pages as that event now is to Golf itself. Apparently Iggy Pop's manager begs him not to mention Golf, as its bad for the image.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Niall C

Re: O/T? Why is golf out of fashion for writers?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 05:03:56 AM »
Surely Iggy is counter culture therefore eschewing what all the cool kids are doing and taking up golf is perfect for him. No ?

Niall

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 05:51:29 AM »

If it's not cool for writers its hardly surprising it's not cool generally.  Hollywoood stars mostly spurn it, and the 'celebs' at the Crosby are as tangential to the front pages as that event now is to Golf itself. Apparently Iggy Pop's manager begs him not to mention Golf, as its bad for the image.

I think I am cool, urbane*, and multi-cultural.

Reality is, I post on a web site with hundreds of other white males about a topic that 99% of the people that actually play golf, a shrinking sport, do not actually care about. Thus, if you looking for trend setting opinions and thoughts, YOU ARE IN THE WRONG PLACE!!

I am still waiting for the Mike Young splinter group - "Golf Dorks".  ;)

To answer your question somewhat seriously, I have removed Facebook from my phone and it is distracting when I am out in the world. No interest in Twitter, Snapchat.... I am also trying to read more paper books. I just can't make the switch to electronic books on a device. Short articles and social media yes, but thought provoking longer reading is better with a book in my hand, for me.

* Corrected with help from one of those Euro Ryder Cup team fans!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 06:49:49 AM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 06:04:35 AM »
I remember being at a golf conference a few years ago, and an open floor discussion was taking place. Someone said, we have to make golf cool, how can we do that? I tried to explain to them that a bunch of middle aged and above white males cannot make something cool. Only kids themselves make things cool. But I don't think it got through.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 06:20:28 AM »
I agree with Adam. Furthermore I wonder why we try to be cool or even chase the younger demographic. That younger demographic will get older in time, God willing, at which point golf will be perfect for them. Let them do what they do meantime.

As for reading, I too like Mike prefer a book in hand to a kindle.

Niall

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 06:25:53 AM »
Tony,
I am not convinced that Hutchison, Darwin, Wodehouse, Longhurst or Wind thought it was "cool" to write about golf.  Methinks they saw golf as a vehicle to portray dilemmas, humour, despair and human nature in their scribblings!

Now why as of today there do not seem to be any disciples, never mind apostles, of this genre is a very good question that is basically beyond me! However my simple-minded thought is that our present society simply believes it does not have the time or inclination to pursue these ideas and translate them into words of wisdom., fun and hilarity! Theirs and ours loss!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 10:55:50 AM »
It is writing, not golf, that has gone out of style.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 11:01:18 AM »
It's not golf - it's the pool of writers who've changed. More prominent voices from women and people of color - groups golf has broadly shunned for its history and largely continues to do so, to its own significant detriment - have arisen in fiction lately, making golf seem increasingly antique ground to cover.

I think the next great golf novel will have to be both critical of the negative elements of the dominant culture surrounding the game and celebratory of the game's potential for positive influence on those who play it in order to be commercially successful and help make golf seem more "cool."
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 12:13:14 PM »
Writers can by quite lazy.

They want ready-made conceits to drive the narrative and carry an emotional charge, and they search for accessible metaphors to do the work of universalizing for them their (usually) much-too-personal content.

Golf doesn't give the lazy writer any of that.

It doesn't mean what it once did; it's no longer (as it was in the jazz age, for the Great Gatsby, or after WWII for a safe and growing middle class) a clear and resonate signifier/symbol of much anything at all, and certainly nothing with an emotional charge or metaphorical import. 

Golf is also such a game of introverts, such a quiet game without external battles or violence, that in an increasingly harsh and extroverted culture it doesn't serve well at all as a dramatic vehicle, especially for the lazy and/or self-absorbed writer.

Finally: besides being lazy, many writers simply lack much talent. They find it easier and more satisfying to write about themselves (essentially, in thinly-veiled autobiographies) than to get into the heart, mind and motivations of a golfing character they have created from scratch.   

As a critic said once: a lot of modern writing isn't even writing, but merely puddles of spilled sensibilities. I guess that, less than ever before, those sensibilities don't revolve around or even involve in the least the game of golf.

Peter

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 12:16:19 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Steve Lang

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 02:22:48 PM »
 8)  Perhaps because modern writers can't incorporate a good zombie, zombie-wolf or wolf-man or man-child with super hero powers as a central character or create a complementary yet compassionate love interest.  Oh, and have them dancing and singing too!
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Thomas Dai

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 04:12:25 PM »
Are those who were once attracted to writing now perhaps more attracted to broadcasting?
Atb

Mike_Young

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 04:57:39 PM »
IMHO it is not a question of golf being out of fashion for writers.  It's the fact that there is nothing to write about.  So so many confuse real estate marketing and promotion with golf.  Once the boom was over all of the golf magazines shrunk including the "Links" types as well because all of the ads came from real estate.  Unless golf is driving real estate it is a very local attraction, and I mean local not even regional in most cases.  All of the rankings that the Golf Dorks (As Sweeney decribes) swoon over really have nothing to do with the sport itself but with selling the participants on the listed courses.  And more importantly allowing the writers to remain writing such.  Just imagine if there was a ranking of little league baseball fields or tennis courts.  Those sports don't have dorks writing about them.  they have people growing them as a sport not as venues.  So much of golf writing evolves back to a specific venue and that is not interesting to most.
Golf has endured 9/11, the bust of 2008 and is now in 2016 with much uncertainty.  Every single aspect of golf development is inflated by the small amount of writing out there.  You can take the writers,architects, builders and not a handful are really making a good profit.   Renovation will not continue the way it has and there just isn't the need for the number of people involved in the fields. However, the dork element of this site will continue to argue those points but they will never understand the reality of the creation side of golf courses.  So many come on this site and "play house" by acting as golf writers ( which only takes a blog whether read by anyone or not)  or as golf designers even though one might find they have a website full of work for clubs where they just decided to do a master plan on their own or redesign a hole on their own and the club either did not commission such or never knew it had happened.  This is a small , small business with very few making a living.  Itis a case of learning to live to fight another day and it will always be that way.  I DON'T THINK GOLF WRITING WAS EVER IN FASHION. 

The thing that concerns me more than golf writing being in fashion is that I don't see anything new coming out of golf design. Every single bunker seems to be a variation of the jagged edge.   I see much of the talent in the business relying on three or four prominent designers getting the work and letting them work.  That will not last.  Just face it...this stuff is never going to be in fashion.....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2016, 05:07:59 PM »
I read the article...
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Chris Buie

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2016, 06:14:37 PM »
Those who have nothing good to say about golf are more than just simple minded. Advocating, however subtly, against the game is advocating for diminished health. And advocating for diminished health is, of course, quite idiotic.
Sure, there are some elements of the game that could be better. There is nothing insightful or impressive about pointing that out. But even those who are only capable of advocating ideas pre-approved by narrow bandwidth groupthink should be able to see what the health stats say. If they were insightful, they would see that golf is an ideal response to the causes of those alarming stats. Since the 21st Century novelists have no ideas of how to contend with these matters they would do well to have another look at the game. I don't expect they'll be bright enough to see how much better having a walk with friends in the open air is than having one's snout in an electronic screen for hours each day. But they should at least quit advocating for diminished health and stick to their tedious novels.
As far as being cool, let's just say that 'cool' is not the first word that comes to mind when you see a photo of the anti-golfers.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 06:15:35 PM »
Just face it...this stuff is never going to be in fashion.....

Please define "this stuff". :)

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2016, 06:22:43 PM »
I don't expect they'll be bright enough to see how much better having a walk with friends in the open air is than having one's snout in an electronic screen for hours each day.

Hiking is having a different crisis:

"While reaching the top of a High Peak was traditionally viewed as a wilderness experience, climbers on the popular summits like Mount Marcy, Algonquin or Cascade and Porter are increasingly likely to be greeted with throngs of people."
http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Adirondack-High-Peaks-become-victim-of-success-9272783.php

Topgolf + Hiking = An interesting weekend combination....

« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 06:28:37 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Mike_Young

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2016, 08:50:33 PM »
Just face it...this stuff is never going to be in fashion.....

Please define "this stuff". :)

Constant conversation about the top 250-500 courses in the world and when nothing is left to discuss we go to whateveris being built even it it would not even be on the radar otherwise...

Top Golf is bowling w a smaller ball....

Love hiking....some good books on it but all the good trails are public...what does that tell you?  It's not that writers don't like golf; they don't like angry old white guys...or at least what they identify them with...

Actually I often wonder why I even hang out here...I love playing golf,designing and building.  I think it is a reality check to come on here and read some of this stuff.  There is not another golf magazine or outlet out there where a guy living in parent's basement can talk about firm and fast and his great ground game and knowing all the time he has no air game....OH Michael,  I played with Michael Christiansen Saturday...he says hello...we laughed at the first encounter....

"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

BCowan

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2016, 09:11:34 PM »
Top golf is the new RE golf development.  Hopefully the ROI is really good, it will go belly up in 5 years.  It's as if 08 never happened.  Oh yellen and bernyankme.  Rinse and repeat.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back