News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Remember the first time you broke __?
« on: June 30, 2016, 08:05:59 AM »
I was knocking on the door of breaking 80, and would get to the 18th hole, the first time I made a bogey, and shot 80, the next time I made double and shot 80 and the 3rd time, I made a triple ad shot 80, finally, I only needed a triple and shot 77. So excited, I found it, I told all my buddies, the next day I shot 91

I was knocking on the door to breaking 70 years later but never did it. The first time I did it I started out, birdie, birdie, hole in one...I was tempted to walk in but stuck it out and shot 69.

My best round was at Lakota Canyon. I started out with 4 straight birdies and the 5th hole is a par 5, I'm on in 2 with a vicious 40 foot downhill, left to  right breaking putt. All I want to do is get close for a tap in birdie. I play an enormous break and it falls in the cup for an EAGLE. 6 under after 5 holes...I finished with a 66, my best ever
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

David Whitmer

Re: Remember the first time you broke __?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 08:26:37 AM »
I don't remember the first time I broke 80, but I do remember the first time I broke 70. It was a par 70 golf course, and I had started out with 17 straight pars. I remember Nick Faldo making 18 straight pars at Muirfield to win The Open Championship, and always thought that would be a neat thing to do. I was so focused on making 18 pars that it never dawned on me that a birdie gets me my first ever score below 70. I hit my approach on 18 to about a foot, and was slightly bummed I wouldn't have 18 pars, if you can imagine that. When I realized what I would shoot by making the tap-in, I went from slightly bummed to euphoric.

I also remember the first time I beat my area's best player. His name was Brett Wetterich...played on the PGA Tour, won an event, was on the Ryder Cup team. He and I were the same age at different high schools, and we played a lot of golf against each other. I had never beaten him until our senior year. We were tied going to the last (they were 9-hole matches back then), and I made birdie to his bogey...shot a 33 to his 35. Still have the scorecard. So my golfing highlight happened when I was 17, I guess.

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 09:11:57 AM »
I don't recall when I first broke 70 as a kid, but I do as an adult...the one and only time.  18 August 2000 at Tenby...69.  Came close in 2005 with a 70 at Pennard, took a bogey on 17.  Came close again later that year at Droitwich with a 32 on the back nine to fall one shot short.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 09:14:55 AM »
Lie David I don't remember when I broke  80. It didn't seem to be a big deal. I do remember when I broke 70. It was in 1985 at Bay Hills GC in Arnold, MD. I lived in the community and joined the club. It is a short little course of about 6500 yards and a par 70. I shot 66. I still have the card. At the time it tied the course record.

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mac Plumart

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 09:43:59 AM »
I remember standing on the 18th at St. Marlo the day before my first hip replacement needing a bogey to break 100 for the first time. I'd been playing for, maybe, 6 months and this was a big deal.

I sliced that tee shot so far out of bounds, I thought I'd break a window on some unsuspecting house for sure. Breaking 100 would have to wait for several months, while I recovered from surgery.

I remember breaking 90. Benched my driver and, therefore, limited penalty shots from OB off tee.

Breaking 80 was fun. But I've never broken par. 74 is my best so far.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 10:19:08 AM »
I also remember the first time I beat my area's best player. His name was Brett Wetterich...played on the PGA Tour, won an event, was on the Ryder Cup team. He and I were the same age at different high schools, and we played a lot of golf against each other. I had never beaten him until our senior year. We were tied going to the last (they were 9-hole matches back then), and I made birdie to his bogey...shot a 33 to his 35. Still have the scorecard. So my golfing highlight happened when I was 17, I guess.

I played at Clovernook for a few years and I don't think I ever beat a Wetterich net, let alone gross. And I had three or four of them to take shots at. Well played.

My first time breaking 80 was at Odana Hills Golf Course in Madison, WI. I'd wager that it was July 14, 2011, but I'm not totally positive. I played with a few friends on the front nine and didn't play great, but I shot 39. I'd done that roughly 4,784 times in the past, and always found a way to gag it away on the back.

I started with a par at 10 and then a disappointing par at 11 after hitting it just over the green in two. I doubled 12, and then hit pretty nice approaches at 13 and 14. I cashed in the birdie on 14 to get back to +1 on the back. Then I got a nice drive away at the par 5 15th before pulling my second into some trees left and short of the green. I skulled a wedge through the green and onto the downslope that leads down from 13. The next shot was impossible - I had about 8 feet of green to work with from a downslope in the rough - but I knew where I stood and I needed to go for it. I hit the best flop shot of my life to 6 inches.

Having yanked one OB on 16 tee in the City Championship the year before, I teed off with an iron at 16 and left a 200 yard approach. I chunked it. Badly. My third was from 150 and I hit a beautiful 9 iron to the center of the green. Another bogey dropped me back to +2, but I felt pretty good considering I'd shown all the signs of ralphing on myself the previous two holes before finding a way to make acceptable scores.

I think I hit 7 iron on 17 and put it in the middle of the green for an easy two-putt par. 18 runs along a road and I only needed to make double or better, so I took out a hybrid and played the tee shot out to the right rough on purpose to avoid OB. My 2nd shot was from 180 to a back pin out of the rough. I took 7 iron, got it to come out low and hot, avoided the water right, and ran it onto the green to 10 feet. A huge sense of relief washed over me. I had come close many times before, and I knew I wasn't going to four-putt from where I was. I barely missed the birdie and tapped in for par and a 77. I then went to the car and called pretty much everybody I know.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Andrew Simpson

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 10:25:38 AM »
Remember the first time you broke __
a club, 7 iron 11th hole against my bag after a duck hook. Never again.
Someone elses club, 7th tee in the afternoon round Ray's driver. He said every hole he used driver in the morning he was going to break it after horrific drives. I said as I teed it up in the afternoon if he said it once more and didn't break it I'd do it for him. 5th bad drive of the afternoon on the 7th tee he said it and jokingly went to hand it to me saying I wouldn't dare,,,, that sealed the deal :-)

archie_struthers

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 11:01:44 AM »
 ;D :P

broke 70 at Centerton GC in southern NJ   easy course but fun . Monday caddie trip with the Pine Valley loopers and there  might have been twenty of us. Had just turned 20 and was getting serious about golf.

Feeling pretty studly came in and collected from all my boys . last on mynlist to collect was from Greg Farrow , a local pro who had just came off the mini tour and had finished 44th in Q school at Ponte Vedra . i sidled over to him and said hey Lizard , i think I finally got you today. he was giving me five shots gross.  He smiled and when I loudly proclaimed 68 he just smiled and put out his hand. His 61 easily clipped me for $5 , which was the standard individual bet amongst us all.  61 , and he wasn't good enough to play with the big boys  :o

It was quite a lesson in humility for me!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 10:31:55 PM by archie_struthers »

Andrew Buck

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 11:47:21 AM »
First time I broke 80 I was 11 or 12 years old and had caddied for my dad at a tournament at a course in a neighboring town.  He and his friends were having fun drinking post tournament, so one of the guys brought out his nephew and I to play.  I didn't have my clubs, so the 5'4" version of myself used my 6'3" dad's Wilson staff extended irons and I somehow got around in 78.  The scorecard hung in our kitchen for a bit.

Not sure the first time I broke 70, but I do remember the first time I did it in competition and the first time I challenged the course record (needed birdie on last hole to tie, hit pin and ended up off the green). 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 04:29:41 PM by Andrew Buck »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 12:22:23 PM »
First and only time I broke 80 I came to the par 3 18th needing a bogey for a 79. I hit it in the bunker. It was in water in the bunker so I took a drop and got a fried egg. Barely got it out with a looong putt for par. Left the putt quite short and made the breaking left downhiller (tough for left-handers) for the bogey and started celebrating my 79. My buddy calmly told me I didn't shoot 79, which I responded I'm 7 over, of course it is a 79. His response? It's a par 71, you shot 78.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 12:37:35 PM »
Back story.

Our former accountant scorekeeper was an 8 handicap playing with two 18 handicappers. The course and greens were very soft, allowing us to keep pitches close to the hole. We of course were playing for money and the two 18 handicappers both shot 78. The 8 handicapper who usually runs his balls up to the hole, wasn't having much success in the soft conditions with his balls stopping too far short, shot 77 to lose all money and was quite disgusted with us and our 78s. ;)

The pressure did get to me as I bogeyed at least a couple of holes late in the round three putting from the fringe.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Pat Burke

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 01:34:43 PM »
When I was 13 I had a good chance to break 80 for the first time.  The fifteenth hole at Deal(NJ) was always a thorn in my side.m I hit a good drive and decided to hit a six iron that flew over the green,mans bounced into the hazard way over the green.

That was the first time I broke........a golf club

Alex Miller

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 01:54:23 PM »
First time I broke 90 I shot 86 at Ojai Valley Inn as a 10 year old with my dad. He only started playing because of me and has since given it up (just wasn't for him) but it was a very special day. Also my first time breaking 40 for 9 holes thanks to a birdie/par combo on the back 9! My grandfather who was a golfer was with us on that trip and passed away a couple months later - he was very happy the golf bug had made it's way back into the family.

I broke 80 for the first time the next summer at Alisal Ranch. Later that summer I shot an even par 36 on the front 9 at the lovely and soon to be extinct Victoria Golf Club in Carson, CA. I decided I was done with the forward tees after that!

When I was 14 I broke par and 70 for the first time at what is admittedly one of the easier courses I've every played - Bonita Golf Course in San Diego County. I missed a 3 footer for 67 on the last hole and hoped it was the beginning of many rounds under par from then on. It wasn't...

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 02:00:51 PM »
par.
     One of the assistant professionals at Tualatin CC, Tom Marlowe, has played in a pro-am at Spring Hill in Albany and left something. He knew I often went to Corvallis, so I offered to pick it up next time I went south. The time arrives and I walk into their pro shop, and on the wall was a set of Browning irons. Had been looking to try some for about six months, and this was the first time I had seen any.   
     For the uninitiated Spring Hill had six par 3s, six par 4s and 6 par 5s, but what was unique about the course was that no matter what hole you started on, you never played successive holes with the same par.
     I had time for nine, so I left my clubs, played with the Brownings and was under par for 9, which meant there was time for 9 more and had to par a 200 yd par 3 to shoot par. One pure iron and a short putt and I finished at 71.
     Needless to say the Brownings were purchased and stayed in my bag for a number of years. They got to play St. Andrews (Old) but were retired when the roughs got too high.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 02:22:46 PM »
I really can't remember the first time I broke 80 in my career (now about 40 years).  Unfortunately, I can't really remember the last time I broke 80 either.   ;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike Hendren

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 03:48:37 PM »
Is there anything more boring than having even your best friend recount his round hole by hole?   I did shoot 68 with a bogey at the last when playing with my father and his two brothers at a family reunion years ago.  Dad was stateside during Korea.  One uncle fought in WW2, Korea and Vietnam while the other was Special Ops.  Great men - they're all gone.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Kalen Braley

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 04:09:30 PM »
Never sniffed breaking 70... But I did break 80  on 3 occasions.

First time ever I did it, shot a 77 with 3 birdies, a double bogey and 6 bogies. 

Jay Mickle

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 04:44:21 PM »
First time I broke a hickory club was 2015 at Mid Pines. On the tee shot on second hole, the head of my bulldog spoon flew about the same length as my ball. :'(
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Dave McCollum

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 04:50:48 PM »
My milestone round was more of an embarrassment than triumph.  I’d played for about four years and was still learning how to play.  My handicap bounced around something like 15—up to 18 down to 13 and so on.  I was in one of my bad patches when a friend asked me to play in his member guest two-man best ball, 2 rounds over the weekend.  I was about an 18 and playing badly.  Wednesday night before the tournament I went to the range to try to find a swing and something—I don’t remember what—just sort of clicked and I started hitting the ball well, at least for me.  We played a practice round that Friday and it was still working.  So, totally out of the blue, I shot 75-76 (par 72) on my own ball for the weekend.  We ham and egged a bit and our gross total BB score was under par.  Our net score was so ridiculous, I still remember it:  53+53=106.  Going out in the last match in our flight, we lost the gross match by a stroke, but won the net by such a margin we couldn’t go near the clubhouse.  We turned in our card, paid a kid to go in a get a couple of beers, drove out on the deserted course, toasted our victory and shook our heads in disbelief.  The irony was we weren’t sandbaggers.  In those days we turned in every round we played.  I’ve shot 1-over (73) a few times since, but never better.  Going the other direction now.

I don’t play tournament golf anymore.  When we have tournaments and all of the players are bitching about sandbaggers posting low scores, I just say “it happens” and move on

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 04:52:39 PM »
Never sniffed breaking 70... But I did break 80  on 3 occasions.

First time ever I did it, shot a 77 with 3 birdies, a double bogey and 6 bogies.

And a slope rating of about 103!
 ;D

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 04:56:07 PM »
Remember the first time you broke __?.....a window?
Springdale Golf Club in Princeton, NJ on a Monday "caddy day". First tee right next to the clubhouse and pro shop.
Toed my drive so badly it went at a 45 degree angle right through the window of the pro shop. Caddy master deducted cost of repair from me obver 4 weeks.

Remember the first time you broke __?....a car light?

Metairie Country Club in Louisiana at a GCA member's wedding. Was so hunover I could barely walk and the bride's family took the groomsmen to play golf. This time I heeled my drive so badly, it shot left down a parallel service roud and hit a Lincoln Continental square on the left head light. It was magical.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2016, 05:11:57 PM »
Dave,

I had that experience once with my guest at our member guest not long after I joined the club.  My guest was a legitimate 10 - 14 that posted every score and played by all the rules, and was sitting at 13 as he hadn't played much that year (although his few rounds were good).  Our first 9 hole match was against a long-time member and his son, the sitting Director of Golf at a recent Ryder Cup venue.  My friend shot 36 with 2 - 3 par saves from 100 yards and I shot about the same as we took 8 points on 9 holes.  The other 3 nines he also played well and shot 38 - 40 range and we ran away with it, but it was as embarrassing as it was satisfying.  I always thought 13's simply don't shoot 75 - 79 ... but he did. 

Dave McCollum

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2016, 07:02:13 PM »
Yes, Andrew, in my tale it was a total aberration, completely unexpected, a fluke.  As I have become a geezer golfer, with perhaps something of a vanity handicap from not posting rounds when I walk off the course in disgust, I must say that this is what I miss most:  the possibility of shooting the occasional good round.  I call it the “hope of the possible.”  I think it is a major motivator for most avid golfers, no matter their skill level.  Play this game long enough on your home course and, whatever your ideal score—eagle, birdie, par, or bogey--you’ve probably done it on every hole on the course.  We can all entertain a sports fantasy: playing middle linebacker for the Bears, hitting the walk-off homer to win the Series, scoring a goal to win the World Cup, whatever.  Yet, as golfers, standing on that first tee, this is not a fantasy that we’ll never experience.  We’ve actually done it—birdied or parred every hole on the course, whatever the standard—and maybe, just maybe, we can do it today, play the round of our life, because it’s possible, we’ve actually done it at one time or another, so why not today?

When that possibility goes away, however delusional, whatever the standard of excellence for any golfer, the game changes and the enthusiasm for it diminishes just a bit.  Of course I know there many other ways to enjoy the game than shooting a score and most of us cultivate them to keep our interest.  I’m just saying this thread illustrates an important aspect of how we learned to love the game.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2016, 09:28:47 PM »
Very nice posts there, Dave. It's so true - the sense of 'possibility' that golf affords ever time we lace up our shoes and put a shiny new ball down on the tee. I took up the game late and didn't play very much, and over the years I've often felt a bit sad about that, i.e. what could've been (score wise) if I'd had a chance to start earlier. But lately I'm feeling fortunate -- it might be delusional, but I am convinced that I'm actual getting better!   

Peter

Carson Pilcher

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2016, 09:41:26 PM »
I was talking with someone a few days ago about them trying to break 80, and it reminded me of my first time.  I was living in Aspen, CO and working as a bagboy at the Snowmass Club.  I would play every chance I could, and experienced the needing a par...then a bogey..then a double...to then break through.

I remember the first time for 70 as well, but cannot remember the year.  I can recall my playing partners and every aspect of the day (weather, course, etc.). Shot 69 to take their money.  Ha!

Now, my goal now is to shoot 65. I shot 66 at Peachtree last year with a 2' putt missed on the 8th and a 3' putt missed on the 16th.  A friend gave me a 1965 Silver Dollar for motivation to use as my ballmarker.

My other goal is to break 70 at Settindown Creek.  I have shot 70 three times, but never in the 60's.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back