News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

GCA Outing: Erin Hills on August 30
« on: May 23, 2016, 02:31:02 PM »
In 2014, Rich Choi hosted a GCA outing (King’s Putter) at Chambers Bay as a preview to the course hosting the U.S. Open the following year. At the time, I thought it was a great idea and one to try to re-create in some way for Erin Hills before the 2017 U.S. Open.

Thanks to John Morrissett, competitions director at Erin Hills and GCA member, we’ll do just that…

Date:  Tuesday, August 30, 2016
Schedule:
     1st round:  7:36, 7:48, 8:00, 8:12, 8:24 a.m.
     Lunch: Discussion with John and Erin Hills superintendent Zach Reineking
     2nd round: 2:48, 3:00, 3:12, 3:24, 3:36 p.m. (play until dark; sunset is 7:29 p.m.)
Caddies: Erin Hills is walking only. Caddies are available for $110/per bag (includes suggested gratuity).
Cost: Contact Howard via DM or email

As Erin Hills will close in early October and then re-open for public play following the U.S. Open, this may be your last chance to see the course until after the tournament.

A few links!... 

GCA tours
   Ran (2013):  http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/erin-hills/
   Joe Bausch (2011): http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48480.msg1092639.html
   Phil McDade (2010): http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,45966.0.html
   Dan Moore (2009): http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40451.0/
   Dan Moore on “A Modern Glacial Links” http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,29760.0/

Erin Hills
   Tour: http://erinhills.com/golf/hole-by-hole/
   Blog: http://erinhills.com/blog/

Also, for those looking to plan a couple days in Wisconsin…
   Erin Hills on-site lodging: http://erinhills.com/stay 
   Lawsonia (1.5 hours north): http://lawsonia.com   
   Kohler (1.25 hours northeast): http://www.americanclubresort.com/golf
   Sand Valley (2.5 hours northwest) is offering preview rounds at $70.     
      http://www.sandvalleygolfresort.com/reservations/ 
      http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,57622.msg1499932.html#msg1499932

I’m looking forward to an enjoyable day at Erin Hills.  Please contact me if interested.

List of Attendees:
1.   Howard Riefs
2.   Kevin Rafkin
3.   Jason Way (a.m.) / Telly K (p.m.)
4.   Peter Korbakes
5.   Buck Wolter
6.   Steve Green
7.   Dan Moore
9.   Andrew Fleming (morning)
10. Matt Bielawa
11. Brendan Chard (Bielawa)
12. Max Sternberg
13. John L. (morning)
14.  Steve Neumann

15.  Brian Bossert
16.  Bill Seitz
17.  Geoff Hanson (Bielawa)
18.  David Spires (morning)
19.  Jonathan Baran (morning only)
20.  Doug Siebert

PAIRINGS...

7:36 a.m.         
John Lewinski   
Jonathan Baran
Steve Green   
Doug Siebert

7:48 a.m.         
Dan Moore*     
Steve Neumann           
Bill Seitz           
Howard Riefs*

8:00 a.m.         
David Spires     
Jason Way       
Peter Korbakes             

8:12 a.m.         
Kevin Rafkin     
Max Sternberg
Buck Wolter     
Jim Eade

8:24 a.m.         
Matt Bielawa     
Brendan Chard*           
Geoff Hanson   

LUNCH & DISCUSSION

2:48 p.m.         
Howard Riefs   
Bill Seitz           
Buck Wolter     
Jim Eade

3:00 p.m.         
Matt Bielawa     
Brendan Chard*           
Geoff Hanson   
Dan Moore*

3:12 p.m.         
Peter Korbakes           
Jason Way       
Max Sternberg

3:24 p.m.         
Kevin Rafkin   
Steve Neumann           
Steve Green
Doug Siebert

3:36 p.m.                                             
NONE

* Caddie requested
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 12:30:14 AM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Joe Bausch

Re: GCA Outing: Erin Hills on August 30
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 02:44:38 PM »
Would love to do it Howard, but school gets in the way.

Here is my photo album from my visit back in 2011:

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/ErinHills/
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 06:59:33 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tim Fitz

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 04:57:57 PM »
Consider me "Interested (can't commit yet)".  Symptom of being a deal lawyer.

I played last October and thought the course was terrific.  Aside from the difference in stunning views, I liked EH better than the Straits.

Steve Lang

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 05:31:42 PM »
 ::) Howard,
Do they allow push carts?

Two tentative:
Steve Lang
Sheila Lang
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Howard Riefs

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 05:34:48 PM »

Two tentative:
Steve Lang
Sheila Lang

No, they do not.  From their online FAQ...

What options do I have for getting around the golf course?

Erin Hills is walking only. We highly recommend using one of our professional caddies or you may decide to carry your own clubs. Outside caddies and pull-carts are not allowed.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 07:09:37 PM »
Please add me to the Interested list. Thanks!

Andrew Buck

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 10:17:49 PM »
Consider me "Interested (can't commit yet)".  Symptom of being a deal lawyer.

Add me to this category ... well not the deal lawyer part, but symptoms are the same.

Steve Green

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 11:39:38 PM »
Howard, count me in and thanks for pulling this together.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
Bertrand Russell

Joel Pear

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 08:42:26 AM »
Howard, sounds like a great time, but August 30 is my 30th wedding anniversary.  Don't think it would play well with my wife.  Have a great time!

Mark Smolens

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 11:11:23 AM »

Two tentative:
Steve Lang
Sheila Lang

No, they do not.  From their online FAQ...

What options do I have for getting around the golf course?

Erin Hills is walking only. We highly recommend using one of our professional caddies or you may decide to carry your own clubs. Outside caddies and pull-carts are not allowed.

When they do, count me in. Until they do, I'll drive a bit further to Green Lake to play WI golf...

Howard Riefs

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 10:46:45 AM »
A nice response so far as we're more than a third full and have nearly a dozen others on the "interested" list.

A few guys have asked if they can invite other "non-GCA" players to participate.  Please give me until Tuesday. I want to first see if any of those "interested" can move to the confirmed list.

BHoover

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 10:48:53 AM »
Howard, feel free to let someone take my spot if you have others who are able to commit now. I'm happy to be on the standby list if needed.

Thanks.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 11:44:54 PM »
Howard,

can i sign up for only one round?   with some injuries i've been working through, walking 36 there would prob be too much of a challenge.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 12:42:46 PM »

can i sign up for only one round?   with some injuries i've been working through, walking 36 there would prob be too much of a challenge.

Yes, you can sign up for only one round. I'll follow up with you via DM on pricing.

A few guys have asked if they can invite other "non-GCA" players to participate.  Please give me until Tuesday. I want to first see if any of those "interested" can move to the confirmed list.

Ok... we can open it up to "non-GCA" players now. Thanks for your patience.

Also, for those interested in going up to Sand Valley, Steve Northrup is considering playing there on Wednesday, Aug. 31 (updated). Please reach out to him if you want to coordinate.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 02:40:58 PM by Howard Riefs »

Stephen Northrup

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 01:28:44 PM »
Thanks Howard. It's Wednesday August 31 actually, day after Erin Hills. I have a foursome reserved at 9 am at Sand Valley -- PM me if interested.

Ok... we can open it up to "non-GCA" players now. Thanks for your patience.

Also, for those interested in going up to Sand Valley, Steve Northrup is considering playing there on Wednesday, Aug. 30. Please reach out to him if you want to coordinate.

Paul Stockert

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 12:18:38 AM »
Howard,

Excited to confirm for the day at EH for me and my brother and fellow GCA'er Will Stockert. If you arrange groups we'd like to play together. 

Thanks for the info and setting it up!
PJ

P.S. I prob shoulda asked if they're setting it up open tough and making us play the tips...if so please don't publicize my score. :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 12:25:02 AM by Paul Stockert »
~ PJ

“Golf... is the infallible test. The man who can go into a patch of rough alone, with the knowledge that only God is watching him, and play his ball where it lies, is the man who will serve you faithfully and well.”
― P.G. Wodehouse

Howard Riefs

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 11:53:28 AM »
A great response and the event is now full.

I'll convert the "interested" list into the waiting list as we'll likely have cancellations as the event approaches. If you're on that list and no longer interested in attending, just let me know (via DM or reply) and I'll remove you. 

Thanks.

Joe Hellrung

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2016, 01:03:31 PM »

Howard,

Thanks again for setting this up and extending the invitation.  I unfortunately cannot attend, and can therefore be removed from the waiting list.  Thank you again - I hope you guys have a blast!

A great response and the event is now full.

I'll convert the "interested" list into the waiting list as we'll likely have cancellations as the event approaches. If you're on that list and no longer interested in attending, just let me know (via DM or reply) and I'll remove you. 

Thanks.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2016, 05:10:14 PM »
As a result of some cancellations, we have a couple open spots...

Howard Riefs

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2016, 05:48:36 PM »
Looking forward to the Erin Hills outing in less than two weeks. 

We currently have one open spot. If you're interested, please let me know and I'll provide you with the necessary information.

I sent the group a PM yesterday asking for their caddie needs for the day.  If you didn't receive that message, please let me know. 

Kyle Truax

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 11:57:22 AM »
Do you still need one more?  I'm interested.  I live only 8o minutes away.  DM me for pricing.  Thanks!

Buck Wolter

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2016, 02:41:27 PM »
Howard-
I assume Way and Seitz will be playing from the 7800 yard tees -- that would make 2 rounds really 3 for me.

Not sure how you're planning to pair but I am thinking Green in the morning and if I don't break 95 I'll do a White in the afternoon.

Anyone staying there Monday Night?

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 02:44:21 PM by Buck Wolter »
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Howard Riefs

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2016, 03:34:59 PM »
Howard-
I assume Way and Seitz will be playing from the 7800 yard tees -- that would make 2 rounds really 3 for me.

I encourage Way and Seitz to play from one step from the back of those black tees, which would be about 8,100 yards.

Jason Way

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2016, 09:58:30 PM »
How about the group just draws straws to see who gets to punch me in the testicles, and then I'll tee it from the whites and limp around all morning instead?  One shot to the yarbles sounds better to me than 18.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Bill Seitz

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2016, 11:34:06 PM »
Howard-

I encourage Way and Seitz to play from one step from the back of those black tees, which would be about 8,100 yards.

I'd be comfortable from the blue, but 6,700 is plenty of golf course for me. I mean, I survived the Ocean Course from the tips, but it wasn't what I'd call fun. Driver - 3 wood on every hole gets kind of boring.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back