News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Moore

Erin Hills reopened on July 1st after closing last October for a series of enhancements many of which were requested by the USGA.  While I expected to see the awkward slope on the 1st hole made more friendly, the 2nd green expanded to accommodate more wear and tear, and to see new pin positions added to the 10th and 15th greens, I was surprised by the vast scope of the changes.  Almost every hole was affected to some extent with four, the 4th, 8th, 10th and 18th undergoing serious makeovers.  The controversial Dell hole has been eliminated from the routing.  Because of this the old 8th, now the 7th is being converted to a par 5 making the course a par 73.  

It is pretty clear the quest for the Open is what motivated and guided the changes.  The USGA has made several site visits since the course opened and hosted the Public Links qualifier and Women’s Public Links championship at EH.  Also as Dana Fry noted in his January 2009 Feature Interview: “owner Bob Lang asked us to make some revisions to the course that started in October 2008. Needless to say, we were happy to make the course more U.S. Open friendly. The only thing I would say we did differently than normal would be to stretch the course out so that if the USGA decides to host an Open it will have great flexibility. If they decided to go all the way to the back on every hole they could play it at over 8000 yards. Now, I don’t believe they would ever do that but the great thing is that they have the ability to make the course play whatever distance they like. The other thing we did was make numerous areas of 1 to 2% slopes in the putting surfaces so they could have several hole locations. In fact a few of the changes we did last fall included increasing those areas on a few greens.”  

Before I get to a hole by hole look at the changes, a few general observations.  When I first played there two years ago I termed Erin Hills a "Modern Glacial Links".  That holds true and it is the wonderful glacial character of the terrain is what gives Erin Hills its allure.  There is a scale and scope to the property that must be seen in person to be fully appreciated.  The somewhat abrupt nature of the glacial terrain however does not lend itself to the traditional links ground game.  There are some exceptions; the 1st green is very receptive to a ground approach as is the right side of the 3rd green and the 14th green.  Nonetheless, Erin Hills is an aerial golf course in tune with the modern professional game.  

Many of the changes involve new bunkering.  I also recently visited Cog Hill, another contender as a Midwest US Open site.  At Cog,  Rees Jones used bunkers to pinch fairway landing areas and tighten green approaches.  
Cog Hills 1st Hole

There is some of that at Erin Hills too, but also an effort to better define various approaches from an aesthetic point of view.  On #10 and #18 bunkers have been added to significantly redefine the playing character of those holes.  

Another major change is the remediation effort underway on the areas of long grass.  This stuff was waist deep when the course opened making those areas unplayable and virtually unwalkable.  Filled with invasive reed canary grass the areas were not all that attractive to the eye as well.  All of these areas have been cut short and in many places have been replanted with native prairie grasses.  While not looking very attractive now, this program was essential to improve the overall look of the course and make the areas of long grass playable for the everyday golfer and walkable for spectators.  It looks to be a huge project that will take time to complete.  The construction and grow in is not complete.  Photos should be viewed in this context.  

A puzzling aspect of the changes is the set-up of the new tees.  One of the problems with the initial version of the course was the absence of a middle length set of tees in the 6,700 to 6,800 yard area.  One had a choice of the 7,100 yard blue tees or the 6,400 yard green tees.  Now however the green tees stretch to over 6,838 yards and the next set of yellow tees is just 5,631.  This is just bizarre and another indication that th3 changes have been focused on the elite low handicap player.  The course can be made quite playable for shorter hitting mid handicapper simply by combining several of the yellow and green tees into a course around 6,300 to 6,500 yards.  New tees for this group of golfers are needed on several holes including 5,10,11 and 17.  

On the other hand the variety of longer tees on each hole is an ideal set-up for elite players.  The elasticity that is available on many holes is truly remarkable.  Two good examples are 11 (310 to 472) and 12 (318 to 509) which can play equally well as shorter or longer holes and could be varied day to day.  Also the par 5's can be varied from two shot to 3 shot holes day to day.  Mike Davis will have a field day with the variety of tee locations that can be used day to day to vary the course.    

I will give the yardages for the Back Black (8,348), Black (7,945), Blue (7,258) and Green (6,838) tees.  

Hole #1  655/624/574/545

The major change here is the expansion of the landing area to the right and lowering of the hill which made the 2nd shot blind.  A major improvement for the opening hole of the round.  New bunkers have been added to the hill, to the ridge framing a laid up 2nd shot and some deep greenside bunkers on the left of the green.

Opening Shot Before and After

2nd Shot

New Greenside Bunker

2nd Hole  362/351/333/314
The big change here is the expansion of the green and the surrounds.  Still tiny.  This could be played as a driveable par 4 where anything less than 3 is a defeat.    

Before

After

3rd Hole  535/501/451/422/314
New fairway bunkers added on the left side and the green has been expanded front left and the to right and front.  One of the more treacherous greens on the course featuring a shelf on the upper left side of the green.  

Before

After

View of the green from the hill behind the green.

4th Hole 445/403/395/386

The green has been moved to the left where the mound was leveled and back 30 yards.  New fairway and greenside bunkering.  An intimidating looking approach.  Removal of trees behind the green open views to the 16th hole and open the hole more to the wind.  Looks like a interesting improvement.

Before

After

Before Approach

After Approach

5th Hole  516/503/443/366

This hole did not change much.  The bunker fronting the left of the green was expanded and a new bunker was added behind the green.  

From tee a sole fairway bunker in the middle of the fairway at the crest of the rise.  Anything short leaves a blind approach.

From tee

Approach Before

Approach After

Close up of expanded greenside bunker

6th Hole  242/236/188/172

I did not notice any change to this hole.  This is a really good long par 3 from the back The green slopes front to back with a slight false front.  

Genius at Work (inside joke)

Dell Hole RIP

7th Hole (formerly the 8th)  620/605/587/560

In my view this was a weak link on the original course.  Because of the eradication of the Dell Hole, this is being converted to a par 5 as if the course needed another long par 5.   The new tees are still being built so its hard to say what this will look like when completed.  As seen in the prior photo the crest of the hill in front of the Dell green is being lowered to open a view of the fairway.  All new bunkers have been added to the fairway.  Likely a long par 4 for the USGA (472 from the yellow plays almost 500 due to the significant uphill approach.  Bunker behind green eliminated in prime viewing area.

From the old Dell tee where the new tees are being built.  Hill blocks view of fairway. Green visible in distance with bunker behind green.  (photo from Jason Blasberg post)

After from 472 tee Before

After

Second shot

Before Approach

After Approach

8th Hole (formerly the 9th)  521/496/450/421
One of the unchanged holes, this is a terrific dogleg left.  Tee shot needs to hug the glacial mound to the left.  Approach shot is a demanding uphill shot to a very well protected green.  This hole would have been unplayable as a par 4 for some in my group if we hadn't moved up to the yellow 367 tee.  

Tee Shot

Approach

9th Hole (formerly the Bye Hole)

Green has been expanded somewhat out to the edges of the bunkers added some pinnable positions.  
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 01:38:24 PM by Dan Moore »
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Jim Colton

Re: The Enhancements at Erin Hills: The Front Nine (with photos)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 01:09:41 AM »
Dan,

Thanks for posting.  The first hole looks like a big improvement.  I liked the old 3rd hole and didn't have a problem with #4.  Those new fairway bunkers on #3 look out of place.  #4 looks overdone but I'll reserve judgment until I can see it in person.

If you were a betting man, what would be your odds on EH vs Cog for 2017?

Jim

Steve Kupfer

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 02:40:52 AM »
Dan- Well done. Thank you for the insightful commentary (and photographs) on the changes at EH.  I was not under the impression that the changes being made were as significant as the pictures illustrate.  I would anticipate many to echo Jim's suggestion that some adjustments are overdone, though I think most of these changes had to be done. I will also reserve judgment until I return to the property.

The work on 7 looks a little schizophrenic, no?

It will be fascinating to see what EH looks like in 2017 be it for an Open or not.  I'm looking forward to seeing how these changes are judged as the rest of the golf course grows around them.

Will we be spoiled with a review of the back as well?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 08:59:05 AM »
This is a nicely done report, as always, Dan.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dan Moore

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 12:57:29 PM »
Thanks Steve and RJ.  I will have a back nine profile up by Thursday. 

Jim,

The bunkers on 3 are located to impact play from the black tees which are 30-40 left of the blue and green tees.  They are very strategically placed from that distance and angle for US Open caliber play. 

Regarding #4, I think the hole looks good on the ground and will offer some decisions for longer hitters who can decide to lay up short of the bunkers or attack the narrow alleys between the center bunkers.  The green is fairly shallow so getting close will be an advanatge when things are firmed up to US Open standards.  I also think they probably felt the old hole was a little too short and needed the xtra 30 yards given that 2 is quite short as well. 

For me the jury is still out on #8 as it was hard to evaluate with the new tees not in play.  The bunkering is an aesthetic improvement on a nothing looking hole, but it was hard to see if any strategic value was added.

I played Cog and Erin Hills on sucessive days and also played Olympia Fields North 12 days earlier.  I have some thoughts but I'm going to reserve comments on the MW Open venue debate until I post the back nine. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 10:04:15 PM »
Thank you very much for posting.

I have to say I think the changes make the course look alot better...I can't speak to the playability though. I'm looking forward to getting up there soon!
H.P.S.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 10:07:31 PM »
Damn good thread, I love the look of Erin Hills.  It's unique in how freakin' huge those glacial hills are. 

Just ginormous tumblers......
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 10:48:02 PM »
Great job Dan.  I'm shocked by the changes to #4 and the former #8, and that new fairway bunker on #3 looks sketchy. 

Thank goodness #6 hasn't changed for those of us who've learned how to play it   ;D

Rob Rigg

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 11:41:53 PM »
Dan - this is really interesting.

Are all the grasses at EH "traditional parkland variety"? ie) no fescue or fescue mixes

Does the course play "soft" or do they try and keep it firm and fast (when the summer actually shows up and there is some heat)?

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 12:11:19 AM »
Wouldn't the way the bunkers were (a little more hidden) be more bothersome for the pros - as opposed to now where they can see their entire boundary?
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Bill Kubly

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 08:28:46 AM »
All of the fairway and immediate rough grasses are fine fescues.  The native grass adjacent to the rough was originally the natural grass that was on site, but last fall, Round-up was applied to these areas and they were overseeded with fine fescue as well so the grass will be more consistent.   In order to maintain the small details of the fairway areas, these areas were not tilled at all.  The native grass in the fairways and immediate rough was sprayed with Round-up several times and then these areas were rolled with a heavy asphalt roller to smooth the areas without destroying the small ridges existing details.  Then these areas were double slit seeded with the fine fescue grasses.  The other advantage to this method is that this area is very stoney and if we had disced the entire area, those rocks would have been brought to the surface where they could have created problems for years to come.  The only disturbance of these areas was for the installation of the irrigation system where some trenches were needed in addition to pulling most of the lateral lines to minimize disturbance.

The goal is for the course to play hard and fast and in fact most of the holes only have double-row irrigation so the outer roughs will brown out due to little irrigation in those areas.  This decision was by Mike Hurdzan which turned out to be the right thing to do at Erin Hills.

We continue to tweak certain areas of the course, but most of the changes are complete. 

Dan Moore

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 08:32:57 AM »
Rob,  when the course was built the fairways and main rough areas were planted with fescue.  They were quite firm last week.  The greens are bent but are usually keep pretty firm as well.  When I played in the Publinx qualifier two years ago is was rare to even leave a ball mark on the greens.  The remediation on the surrounding areas of long stuff has also involved planting more native fescue grasses which have not started to grow-in yet.  In some of the photos (bunkers on 5 and 6) you can see some longer wispy fescue starting to surround the back edges of some of the older bunkers.  This might be the look they are eventually headed for

Eric,  my appreciation of the 6th has grown since I first played it as the complexities of the green have became more apparent.  The bunker on three still needs to grow-in but as noted is placed more for the tees on the far left where it will be more on the direct line of play than it is from the right hand tees we play.    
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 08:47:40 AM by Dan Moore »

Dan Moore

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 08:47:14 AM »
Bill,  understandably some of the new areas have not had time to grow-in.  When do you think the grow-in of the new green areas, bunkers and adjacent areas will be complete? 

Mike McGuire

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 09:46:38 AM »
The native grass adjacent to the rough was originally the natural grass that was on site, but last fall, Round-up was applied to these areas and they were overseeded with fine fescue as well so the grass will be more consistent. 

The area's adjacent to the rough needed attention. Unfortunately this vegetation was mostly NON native, consisting primarily of Reed canary grass.
This sod forming grass will quickly take over an area with a tall thick mat -  crowding out any fescue.  No chance to find a ball, much less hack it out. It is unlikely one application of round up will wipe it out, and even if it did, without a constant effort it will take over again, especially in low lying areas. Where it has formed a sod mat, excavation of 16" of soil is sometimes needed to eradicate.

IMO all maintenance staff should be trained to ID invasive plants.

fact sheet   http://dnr.wi.gov/invasives/fact/reed_canary.htm

Jim Colton

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 02:30:05 PM »

Jim,

The bunkers on 3 are located to impact play from the black tees which are 30-40 left of the blue and green tees.  They are very strategically placed from that distance and angle for US Open caliber play. 

Dan,

I did play the hole from the upper left tee box.  Obviously I'm no pro (far from it), but I thought the left side guarded by the tall stuff was sufficient enough.  You can flirt with the left side to shorten a long par 4, but that brings the trouble into play and likely gives you a worse angle into the original green.  That seemed like an appropriate trade-off.  But I can see the logic changing if your building consciously or subconsciously with a US Open in mind.  My only comment about the fairway bunkers on #3 was that it didn't look like a 'natural' spot for fairway bunkers.  I'm sure they add strategic value.  I believe Mr. Doak commented, conicidentally in the armchair contest on this same site, that the easiest way to dictate strategy is to add a bunch of bunkers.  It may be because they are still under construction so they stick out more than they will in their natural state, but #7 and #8 look like a bunker minefield.

Dan Moore

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »
10th Hole  672/652/624/597

This hole has been significantly modified and in my view significantly improved.  The drive is an interesting one, somewhat blind over the crest of the ridge with a bunker and drop off to the right.  On the correct line a good drive can get a speed boost that can add 30-40 yards to the bottom of a hill about 320 from the green.  From there fairway bunkers have been added to confront the 2nd shot.  Previously there was a tiny upper fairway on the right that was essentially unusable given its size and drop off if one missed the small area.  Instead the fairway has been directed to the left with a series of bunkers added to a small ridge that that knifes into the fairway about 150 yards from the green.  This change is a huge improvement.  Another set of new bunkers have been added along the left side of the final approach from 50 yards in  and to the left side of the green.   The Biarritz green has had the front lowered and back flattened to offer many more pin positions and make the green easier to see from the fairway.  The hole is now much more playable, better defined on the 2nd shot and 3rd shots, and more challenging around the green.  The hole would benefit by the addition of a tee around the around the area of the 1st fairway bunker for the shorter player.  One shorter hitter in my group was unable to reach the fairway from the 597 tee.

Original Hole Lay Out

View from tee. Line is the large round tree in the center of the photo

View looking back to tee from landing zone showing large drop off; tee in front of small tree in center of photo

View of 2nd Shot with new bunkers at 150 and along the left side

View from 100 yards looking back at tee shot landing area showing hill that provides turbo boost

View of green from 100 yards
Before

After

Green Before

Green After

11th Hole 472/414/315/310
This Hole is unchanged except for the elimination of waist high natural area to the left; a huge improvement.  An interesting hole in that it can play long or short.  I think it is better played as a long  hole as there really isn't any strategic interest off the tee when played short.  A tee in between 414 and  315 is needed for mid-handicappers in my opinion.   Fairway without bunkers has a lot of movement with uneven lies common. 

From Left of the Tee

Approach from left rough

Looking Back

12th Hole 509/468/432/388

Another Hole that can be played long or short.  I think this is better played short where a drive reaches the lower level.  Tree near green was removed last year and another tree on the mound before the green also removed improving the look of the hole. 

From tee and base of fairway

Approach before from top of hill

Approach after:  note removal of small tree from mound

Looking Back from 2007 showing trees that have been removed next to the green and on the mound.

13th Hole221/216/193/170
A pleasing par three that is played over two kettle ponds to a green that falls away on all sides. 

14th Hole 650/615/505/469
Best of the par 5's which probably plays best as a 2 shotter.  Fairway bunker widened and new bunkers were added to mound fronting green which was originally covered with long grass.  Green features a big false front on the right; long narrow green is excellent.

From 469 tee (other tees back and right)

Approach Before

Today with new bunkers on mounds

Green showing false front

View of 14 from 15 tee

15th Hole 372/360/345/338
One can imagine this hole being played as a driveable par 4 on the back nine on Sunday.    Bunkers on the left have been expanded in size with several new bunkers also added.  The green was modified with a large ridge in the center of the green being softened.  Still a difficult green.  Hill behind green flattened somewhat??

November 2007

Today

Fairway bunker expansion.  Fairway should be expanded in this area.

16th Hole 205/196/184/163

Tee has been raised to add visibility of the green.  Bunkers fronting the green have been expanded which narrow and better frame the view of approach.  Another bunker  added to the rear.

Before

After

17th Hole 512/481/445/434
The main change here has been some flattening of the landing zone and removal of the esker from the fairway  which created a blind approach for those in the left side of the fairway.  A strong hole in route to the finish.   I think more of the esker could have been left in place. 

Esker Before

Esker After (note drive on right side of fairway is in almost identical position)

View of green from left side opened up by shave back of the esker

18th Hole  675/660/637/620
Another extensive makeover hole.  Construction was still ongoing so it was a little hard to tell what the final hole would look like.  Fairway has been shifted right, bunkers in the area of the drive have been expanded and the lone pot bunker in the center of the landing zone has been eliminated.  More bunkers are being added closer to the green making the final 75 yards to the green a bunker minefield.  Green is tucked back to the left so a long direct approach must cross this area of bunkers.  A par 5 finisher where anything from eagle to bogey could be in play. 

Old Hole Map

From tee. Drive over left bunkers is now in rough

2nd Shot Before showing pot bunker that was eliminated from middle of fairway

2nd Shot Today with fairway shifted to right (I think this was taken in vicinity of the old pot bunker)

New bunkers near green

Approach to Green from right 2007

Today

Steve Kupfer

Re: The Enhancements at Erin Hills: Back Nine Now Added (with photos)
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 02:37:14 PM »
Thank you once again, Dan, for the excellent documentation of the changes.  Since you are one of the few that have been on site since the reopening, what is your overall take on the changes as a whole?

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2009, 03:21:19 PM »
What does it say about the initial offering of Erin Hills if so much renovation work has to be done when the courses just a couple years old? Was Hurdzan/Fry trying too hard? Has an course in recent history needed so much work after such a short time?

Tony Nysse
Pine Tree GC
Boynton Beach, FL
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2009, 09:24:34 PM »
Dan, Thanks again for this thorough report.  These changes are significant and add up to much more than "tweaking" I'd say.  I hope Mr. Lang is getting a discount from his design/builders.

I agree that 14 looks like a 2-shotter--plus, why have that as a par 5 and call it 73 overall?  The changes to 15 look promising--can you challenge the bunkers on the left side and have a shot from short grass?  The area over there used to be Jurassic Park long grass, lost-ball territory, and it didn't make any sense.

The changes to 16 and 17 don't thrill at first glance.  On 17 they should have expanded the fairway right instead of ripping out the natural feature--that seems a shame. 

What does it say about the initial offering of Erin Hills if so much renovation work has to be done when the courses just a couple years old? Was Hurdzan/Fry trying too hard?

Anthony, don't forget Mr. Whitten had a hand in this too.  In my view from the retail golfer peanut gallery, in its original form Erin Hills was the work of designers who didn't do enough sifting through all the potential of the property and making the most of the outstanding natural features--then doing some work, then revising, then thinking about it some more, then revising again, then working , then revising again, then finishing.  See Bandon Trails for a shining example of this technique.  The existence of the Dell hole and the Bye hole is an example--couldn't you have eliminated the goofy Dell hole after the first draft--in fact, isn't eliminating excess holes one of your jobs as a golf course designer??  Couldn't you have foreseen that the 2nd green as designed, was a non-starter--especially after it was built??  Thank goodness the Dell is gone and the 2nd green has been altered.  I still think there might be a better second hole on the property.

I hope Mr. Lang gets his US Open and it's a great success--he has earned it with all this consternation.

Jim Colton

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2009, 10:20:17 PM »
Dan, Thanks for posting the back nine.  I'm looking forward to getting up there soon (also, so I can watch Mike Wags hit the ball again).

I agree with Eric on the changes.  It looks like the esker was designed to play a prominent role in that hole and the routing overall.  Shouldn't they have figured it out that it wouldn't work before or during the initial build stage, instead of coming to the realization after it opened and having to scrap it.  Maybe the routing would've been significantly better if the Dell never made it into the equation.  And the relatively simple changes to 16 seem to enhance it visually enough that it makes you wonder why they didn't just get it right the first time.

All in all, I like the changes.  I hope Mr. Lang gets his Open after the significant re-investment.

Dan Moore

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 12:56:27 AM »
I doubt they would have changed anything by now had the USGA not shown the interest they have.  In fact some of the changes seem to have been made with spectators in mind. 

If anything it seems as though they tried too hard to do move as little dirt as they could, sometimes overdoing the quirk in the process.  The changes at 1,2,10 and 15 were probably needed at some point.  I'm not sure what the story is with respect to the 4th hole, seemed like a good hole before, but maybe was just a little too short.  Love to know the back story on that change.  The vast majority of the other changes involve adding bunkers that redefine (8,10,18) or better define (14,15,16) the playing options on the holes. 

Eric, not sure about the left side of 15.  Looks like a trench was dug to the right of the bunkers, not sure if that's drainage or irrigation.  Agree that area should be short grass to provide an option to play up the left side by challenging those bunkers as the left side provides the best angle for a right hand pin. 

Jim,  I would have liked to see more of the esker on 17 maintained; it was the dominant feature on the hole.  Of course if they had done it before the course opened we'd never know. 

While the jury is still out on holes 8 and 18 which are hard to evauluate with construction ongoing, overall I think the course has been improved.  The 10th while it still needs a tee shorter than 597 is much improved.  It still needs time to grow in and the work on the areas of long grass needs to be continued.  I think we continue tro see more trees and bushes removed to clear vistas.  There are still some areas that may need further enhancements and a few shorter tees are needed for mid-handicappers, so I won't be surprised to see another round of improvements after the 2011 Amateur. 

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2011, 09:35:46 PM »
Dan, I enjoyed watching the play and getting back to your thread on the course. I think this will continue to evolve and turn into a a great course for the USGA.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back