News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Thurman

Sure, it's fun to play a hole with just a single club. It's also fun to fart in the bathtub. But what kind of lunatic would judge a hole on whether it can be played using a strategy that literally no one playing a serious game would ever use?
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Thomas Dai

Sure, it's fun to play a hole with just a single club. It's also fun to fart in the bathtub. But what kind of lunatic would judge a hole on whether it can be played using a strategy that literally no one playing a serious game would ever use?

Didn't Sam Snead in a tournament once tee-off on the short par-3 7th at Pebble Beach with a putter?

Atb

Adam Lawrence

It's code for 'can be played, finished and enjoyed by golfers of all standards'.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

David Davis

I think Adam would of quoted that directly but I'm thinking some Golden Age architect like Mackenzie coined a phrase about truly great holes being able to be played with a putter and apparently #16 at Cypress could also be played in this way.

Now I'm curious if I just made that up or actually read it in one of his books since no one posted it yet.

Must be getting old and losing my memory.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Jason Topp

I think Adam would of quoted that directly but I'm thinking some Golden Age architect like Mackenzie coined a phrase about truly great holes being able to be played with a putter and apparently #16 at Cypress could also be played in this way.

Now I'm curious if I just made that up or actually read it in one of his books since no one posted it yet.

I think you are correct.  It was Mackenzie and I think he was discussing the 11th at the Old Course.

Jason Topp

It's code for 'can be played, finished and enjoyed by golfers of all standards'.

That is what I mean by the phrase. 

Zack Molnar

So any hole with any element of cross hazard/cross bunker can't be a great hole?

Keith OHalloran

So any hole with any element of cross hazard/cross bunker can't be a great hole?

Zack,
You have to think outside the box. This guy (eventually) finished Sawgrass 17 with just a putter. Clearly it is now in the running for great holes.

http://espn.go.com/golf/playerschamp08/columns/story?id=3385374&columnist=sobel_jason

Jason Thurman

Indeed, if we're starting with the completely illogical premise that holes should accommodate a playing strategy that no one would ever use, shouldn't we also accept the illogical fact that even the most unplayable-with-a-putter hole can almost always in fact be played with a putter, as Keith points out?

Is it legal under the rules of golf to putt a ball into the boat at Couer D'Alene and then putt it out of the boat once in range of shore near the green?
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Josh Tarble

Pine Valley sucks.  I don't think you can finish a single hole with a putter there.

Jud_T

Aside from providing ground game options for golfers to bunt it around, the phrase also implies good draining, firm sand-based turf, something that doesn't apply to 99% (?) of U.S. golf courses.  Food for thought frankly...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

David Davis

Indeed and it naturally stems from a time that predates pure target golf (as in throwing darts into rings). Think 17th at Sawgrass, Island hole at Couer D'Alene etc.

On top of that perhaps it was just his philosophy and before it's dismissed as nonsense the guy applied this to some pretty decent courses pre heaving earth moving equipment.

Cypress

Royal Melbourne
Augusta
Maybe even Crystal Downs

To name a few. As far as I'm concerned without taking it too literally it's bloody genius. Pretty hard to argue against that list.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 05:14:04 AM by David Davis »
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Kalen Braley

Other than a true island hole....like CDA

Balls can be putted:

Thru sand
Along cart paths
Over bridges
Thru rough

Might take you awhile, but it can be done!  ;)

BCowan

David,

I agree completely.  Unfortunately ANGC, Oakmont, and Old Town need to be bulldozed they weren't built on sand  ::).

I think the phrase also implies a one cut type of design with no to limited rough and width.  Like TOC and ANGC

Jud_T

This from a guy who, at the drop of every hat, poo-poos clubs who spend a small fortune in maintenance to approximate what is naturally occurring elsewhere.... ::)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tom_Doak

One of the crazy / neat things about the new course at Forest Dunes is that there are only five places between the first tee and 18th green where the short grass gets interrupted - mostly, at the par-3 holes.  So, for example, you could putt all the way from the first tee to the 3rd green!  There are not many courses where it works like that.

BCowan

An Oakmont built on sand is going to drop it's annual maint budget by how much a year Jud? 

Maint budgets are 1/4- 1/6 of the yearly budget for high end places yet it gets blamed for high monthly dues...

BHoover

Pine Valley sucks.  I don't think you can finish a single hole with a putter there.

Preach it, brother. Trees and target golf. I'll pass. That's why I have a no-thanks policy in place when it comes to any PV invites.

Garland Bayley

Alister MacKenzie would be the lunatic.
He also mentions the possibility of playing and winning the 16th at Cypress Point with a bogey as I recall (loaned book to green committee chair) after opponent finds the ocean.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David Whitmer

I was checking out Bethpage Black online the other day, and was surprised to realize that, by my count, only 6 of the 18 holes can have a ball run up on to the green. The other 12 call for a shot to carry either bunkers, a pond, or a hillside. May be 7 and 11 depending on how one characterizes the 4th hole.

I've never played it, and I'm not passing judgment or coming to a conclusion on its greatness...just saying I was surprised that golf course calls for so many forced carries. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Mark_Rowlinson

Roberto de Vicenzo once played a proper course in Argentina with only a putter and recorded a 72.

Once, playing the 16th at TOC I hit my tee ball out of bounds. I put another ball down, took my putter and got a 4. Simple.

Niall C

David

I was looking for the quote a couple of weeks ago in Spirit of St Andrews and couldn't find it. The reason I was looking was I'd just got back from a trip where I was lucky enough to play Pasatiempo for the first time and couldn't imagine how you could play the 11th, 16th and 18th there with a putter unless you putted over the bridge. Great holes with great use of natural features but I did wonder how they fitted in with his philosophy as I remembered it.

Niall

BHoover

Jean Van de Velde once replayed the 18th at Carnoustie, maybe 6 months or so after the 1999 Open,  with only a putter and beat his score on the 72nd hole of that Open.

Surprisingly, he did not then use that putter to beat either himself or his caddie to death afterwards.

Jay Mickle

Back in the day, putters would have up to 7 degrees of loft making them just short shafted driving irons.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Jason Thurman

Jean Van de Velde once replayed the 18th at Carnoustie, maybe 6 months or so after the 1999 Open,  with only a putter and beat his score on the 72nd hole of that Open.

Surprisingly, he did not then use that putter to beat either himself or his caddie to death afterwards.

Reminds me of when Mark Calcavecchia went back to Kiawah Ocean and shot 75 from the back tees using only a putter, and parred 17 while never missing a putt inside 6 feet the entire round.

I assumed that we all were well-read enough to know the original quote had come from Alister Mackenzie. I also assumed we were all aware that many of Mackenzie's own favorite holes don't meet the standard. To Niall's point, I think we're oversimplifying Mackenzie's quip when we call it a "philosophy." He has plenty of work on the ground that shows it was more of a rule of thumb than a binding philosophical code.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back