News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RBSpann

Black Mesa Presentation/ Discussion
« on: August 22, 2003, 10:32:08 PM »
Hello to all who are planning to make the journey to Nuevo Mexico in September. I have been asked to make a short presentation on the design and construction of Black Mesa Golf Club sometime on Saturday of the outing.  So... I have put together a preliminary outline of what I plan to talk about, and I would appreciate any feedback as to the type of things you all would like to hear about and see.  My basic intent is to try to give everyone a feel for the issues and amount of planning that goes into a project such as this.  I think the presentation will be a lot more meaningful after everyone has had the chance to get around the course a couple of times.  I'm very much looking forward to it, so here is the outline, for your review and comment:

Black Mesa Presentation Outline by Baxter Spann

Brief  Finger Dye Spann Background

Project History
 First Site
  initial site visit
  routing plan
  community issues
  easement from Santa Clara Pueblo
  introduction to Santa Clara site

Current  Site
   USGS maps
   initial site visit, initial impressions

Design Process
   Aerial Topo Mapping
   Initial Routing Studies
   Archeological Sites
   Revised Routing
   Design Development Plans
   Financing of Project

Design Refinement/ Construction
   Layout of Centerline Staking
   Limits of Work
   Revisions to Grading and Drainage Plans
   Refinement of Greens Designs

Budget parameters
Grow in challenges

Q & A

Drawings & photos to peruse and discuss:

Original Topography Maps
Preliminary Routing Study
Markup Study w/ archaeological sites
Revised/ Final Routing Plan
Design Development Plans/ Specification Package
Final Construction Plan Package
Plan Set w/ Field notes
Site photos before/ during construction

Steve Lang

Re:Black Mesa Presentation/ Discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2003, 10:38:44 PM »
Baxter,

Please show us entire project timeline.. initial client idea to opening play..  just summary overivew.  how long did it take?

thanks
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Jason Hines

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2003, 11:14:58 PM »
Baxter,

The outline looks very thorough and I am really looking forward to the presentation with the Q&A.  Thanks in advance for your time.

Jason

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2003, 10:31:17 AM »
Bax, it is darn nice of you to go to that much effort for such a thorough presentation.  Thankyou for all that! ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

RBSpann

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2003, 12:40:04 PM »
I am just happy that the course is generating some interest and that I can share with people who care what is involved in a project like this - that it really is a team effort and while my name is on it, there are many people who deserve at least as much if not more credit than do I.  I plan to try to run through the info on the outline rather quickly so there will be plenty of time for questions and group discussion.  

Steve- I'll be sure and gather my notes on the time frame this took place in - it was rather long and dates are somewhat fuzzy to me now, so I'll have to get out my old calendars!  

Doug Wright

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2003, 12:54:14 PM »
Baxter,

This looks great. Thanks for the time you're putting into this.

One question--I'd be interested in the most signifcant challenges you faced with this project. Looks like archaeological issues were one of them, but were there others? Significant routing issues (which I know is on your outline)? Any water issues? Issues with the owners where their ideas difffered from yours? Etc.

Also, looking back is there anything you'd do differently vis a vis this project?

Just some stream of consciousness thoughts. I look forward to meeting you next month!

Twitter: @Deneuchre

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2003, 01:12:24 PM »
Gentlemen:

I'm really disappointed I can't attend this get together -- Baxter's outline looks quite impressive. But I'll leave with you this -- the proof of the pudding is the taste and Black Mesa is simply d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s!

The golf course has all the excitement a round of golf can offer and if the wind "freshens" a bit you had best hold on to your h-a-t!

One last thing -- I still can't fathom how the course is still less than a 74.0 course rating from the tips!

RBSpann

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2003, 02:43:59 PM »
Jerry,
No, open burning is strictly prohibited in New Mexico due to wildfire concerns.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2003, 08:04:01 PM »
Baxter, Will any of those who deserve as much or more credit, be joining us there? For you to acknowledge them, is a great credit to you.

I think the section on grow-in challenges could take a few hours, ayuh? I described the guy who grew the grass on that ground as someone with a close relationship with a certain man upstairs. :)

Congratulations to everyone involved on Black Mesa.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2003, 08:06:22 PM by A_Clay_Man »

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2003, 11:27:37 AM »
Adam,

The builder - Apolonio Ortiz will hopefully be there.  Baxter has invited him, and without a conflict probably will attend.  He'd be a good one to have around.

I'd also suggest picking the topics you'd most like to hear about, as all of those items could get quite indepth....

Wind is everywhere, and water was quite the influencial piece to the puzzle.

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

RBSpann

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2003, 02:06:21 PM »
Yes, hopefully Apollonio (Paul) Ortiz will be there at some point, though he is beginning some work at Las Campanas about that time and may be tied up getting that going.  I think Pat Brockwell(the super./ part owner)  and Eddie Peck (project originator/ part owner) will be around, and it would be great to get their perspective on everything.  I know that Calvin Tofoya with Santa Clara Pueblo is on site quite a bit also, to possibly add some local history and insight into his first time venture into a golf project. Will know more on their plans in the next week or so.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back