News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Absentee designers
« on: August 20, 2004, 01:45:59 PM »
In another post I quoted Darius Oliver who mentioned that Huntingdale in Australia was designed by Charles Alison who 'never actually set foot on the site' (presumably because it was 1941 and, therefore, during the Second World War).  

Are there any other worthwhile courses designed by someone who never visited the site?

Jeff_Mingay

Re:Absentee designers
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 01:56:12 PM »
Mark,

There are a number of "mail order" Donald Ross designs across North America. Although names of specific courses that fit into that category escape me at present. Brad Klein?
jeffmingay.com

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 01:59:07 PM »
Never actually set foot on the site?

I think it'd be pretty hard to find a really good course where that was true. If there is one or  number out there though they might be Donald Ross's. Some say Ross may never have seen up to a quarter of all the courses he did (around 400). Ross, I believe, had a very efficient facility for topo routing and designing, and he also had a really sophisticated vertically integrated company and communication stream, and an excellent drawer (Johnson) for that early time. So there may be a number of good courses out there he never set foot on but hardly anyone at this point would probably know which ones of his inventory were the ones he never saw.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 02:01:39 PM by TEPaul »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 02:34:08 PM »
There are tons of courses where the designer has not been to the site during construction.  Several famous MacKenzie courses fall into that category, including most of his Australian work and Titirangi in New Zealand; possibly Lahinch as well.

However, I doubt there are many where the architect never set foot on the site.  The reason for this is simple:  not many architects are clever enough to figure out how to get hired and paid without ever meeting the client face-to-face!

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 04:13:06 PM »
I am sure James Braid is listed as the designer of Singapore Island CC ( Bukit Course ) , but never set foot on it .

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back