News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

One Round during business trip to London?
« on: May 14, 2014, 12:16:04 PM »
Looks like I'll be in London for 2-3 day business trip in mid-June and might have time for one round while there.  I'll probably only make the effort to play a top-tier course, but proximity/travel convenience is important too.  Is Sunningdale the top option, especially if I can swing it the morning I arrive at Heathrow? 

Gib_Papazian

Re: One Round during business trip to London?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 01:30:57 PM »
Either Sunningdale track is wonderful; I guess I'd choose the Old if only one round, but my blood brother I've traveled with (all over the UK, Ireland and America) thinks the New is even better. Of course, the "New" is something like 90 years old - as silly a moniker as the "New Course" at St. Andrews.

One impression I took from the Old is a certain magical quality. It meanders along in such a wonderfully elegant and seamless way, two hours later you find yourself standing on the 16th tee, wondering how you got there without the tiniest sensation of rushing along.

I guess the ultimate selection is Swinley. I don't know if Sec. Ian Pierce is still there, but he was kind enough to play with me many years ago and it remains one of the high points of my golfing life. I wandered into the bar for a quick pint afterwards while Ian went off to deal with something.

There was a small table by the window - the room was otherwise empty - and this man comes tottering in, grabs a pint and asks if he might join me. He pulls up a chair and to my shock, it is the great Peter Allis - only my favorite golf commentator in the universe.

And yes, he is every bit as erudite and charming in person. I am not impressed by celebrities, but I got on the train wishing I'd been able to spend a day just hearing his wonderfully told yarns.

As to the golf course, when the heather is in full bloom, you've never seen anything like this, I promise. Every single element is in perfect proportion, in just the right place. #12 is the epitome of simple genius; it will rate top-5 most outstanding longish par-4s you've ever seen.

And like Sunningdale, you'll want to run straight back to the 1st tee and do it again.     

Carl Nichols

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 01:51:45 PM »
Gib:
Thanks.  For reasons I probably couldn't explain,* Swinley and Walton Heath are the two non-links English courses I have most romanticized in my mind, but I was under the impression that they were both less convenient to London than Sunningdale.  Looks like that's wrong, at least with respect to Swinley.  

*Maybe too much Dickens and Hardy in my youth?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 01:54:43 PM by Carl Nichols »

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 01:53:01 PM »
Ian Pierce is at least _two_ secretaries ago at Swinley! George Ritchie, late of Woking, is the current incumbent - a very good guy.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 02:41:21 PM »
New Zealand is a wonderful heathland course, very private but a delight to play, that is probably closest to Heathrow.  I believe a letter or email to the secretary would work depending on the day's events. 

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 03:15:23 PM »
Another vote for Sunningdale. You cannot go wrong playing either course. It is probably the easiest course to reach by train from central London.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 05:58:30 PM »
If you want to pay south of £100 rather than north of £200 then consider the 3Ws in Woking. Simple train and cab to the courses.
Cave Nil Vino

Greg Taylor

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 06:00:48 PM »
Sunningdale on expenses!

Bart Bradley

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 06:01:06 PM »
Sunningdale or Swinley would be my picks.

Bart

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 06:22:11 PM »
Looks like I'll be in London for 2-3 day business trip in mid-June and might have time for one round while there.  I'll probably only make the effort to play a top-tier course, but proximity/travel convenience is important too.  Is Sunningdale the top option, especially if I can swing it the morning I arrive at Heathrow? 

Carl

It depends on where you are going in London.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 06:27:47 PM »
I would add a day.
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

BCrosby

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 07:14:39 PM »
If you want to pay south of £100 rather than north of £200 then consider the 3Ws in Woking. Simple train and cab to the courses.

What Mark says. All great values. Woking in particular.

Bob
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 07:27:46 PM by BCrosby »

Stephen Northrup

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 07:31:19 PM »
From research I did for a similar trip to London last year, Sunningdale seemed to be the easiest to reach by train from London.  The front gate is a driver and mid-iron from the train station.  If cost is an issue, Woking is definitely worth a look and gets bonus points for being the original heathland layout.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 10:43:55 PM »
Carl, you can't get a much better day than Old and New Sunningdale.  Both are superb.  It is one of my favorite places to play anywhere.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Carl Nichols

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 03:52:48 PM »

Carl

It depends on where you are going in London.

Ciao

Canary Wharf

Carl Nichols

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 03:53:28 PM »
I would add a day.
Cheers

That would be great, of course.  Assuming an extra day, where would you play?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2014, 07:11:06 PM »
Deal or Sandwich ultimate variation 90 minutes from London.
Cave Nil Vino

Ash Towe

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 08:09:19 PM »
Either course at Sunningdale.

One of the great places to play golf.

Swinley next choice, not far behind.  A unique experience.

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2014, 03:33:52 AM »
Carl

You have fantasies about Walton Heath.  Its doable by train in about an hour plus cab ride from Canary Wharf to Epsom (maybe 5 miles from the course) or Tadworth (maybe 2 miles from the course). 

Swinley is slightly further away by train, but no more hassle really. 

If you want to play coming off the plane it may be more hassle unless you are traveling very light and assuming you aren't renting a car.  Training it from Heathrow out to Sunny or Ascot is not good in any case.  I am sure its actually quicker from Canary Wharf. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jud_T

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2014, 06:00:39 PM »
I may be nuts, and it certainly wouldn't be the most convenient, but the course I'm most keen to see is Royal Worlington.  1 free day on a business trip?  I'd probably check out the Addington if conditions were up to snuff.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 06:14:42 PM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2014, 07:52:02 AM »
Not sure how The Addington is getting on now Noades has died.

Brian - it's a big step from "might get a game on a 2-3 day business trip" to 36 at Sunningdale!
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back