News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

"...rather than ignoring it..."
« on: January 07, 2014, 11:51:33 AM »
What a bullet of a comment from Ron Whitten in today's Golf Digest World Top 100 release on the web.

69. WADE HAMPTON G.C.
Cashiers, N.C., U.S.A. / 7,302 yards, Par 72
Built during the period when Tom Fazio was still working with the existing landscape rather than ignoring it, Wade Hampton is an exercise in restraint. The fairways flow through a natural valley between flanking mountain peaks. Some holes are guarded by gurgling brooks, but Fazio piped several streams underground to make the course more playable and walkable. Wade Hampton hosted the 2013 U.S. Senior Amateur.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/2014-02/worlds-100-greatest-golf-courses#ixzz2pjSFVgIO
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Randy Thompson

Re: "...rather than ignoring it..."
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 12:42:40 PM »
So, I am suppose to buy that working with the existing landscape is taking streams or brooks and piping them underground? That makes about as much sence as, Army Intelligents.

Matt Bosela

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 12:45:34 PM »
Riviera is undeniably great but enough to be named twice? (36th and 47th)...I assume they'll fix that.

Ron - you may want to edit the thread title, as many may skip over this topic unknowingly due to the vague header.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 01:01:59 PM »
I didn't even see the Riviera mistake.

Matt, I subscribe to the Patricio Mucci school of incomplete thoughts. I consider using quotation marks a step up.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 01:55:56 PM »
The bullet comments on my own courses are a bit odd, too.  He questions whether the green sites at Barnbougle Dunes are natural, because I rerouted the back nine before construction?  And he says Ballyneal has "a lot of hilltop greens".

But I'll still take three courses in the top 25!  And I'm pleased to see that Barnbougle is the highest ranked of the bunch.

Mark Steffey

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 02:02:18 PM »
no #32 or #94 either....

Randy Thompson

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 02:18:31 PM »
The bullet comments on my own courses are a bit odd, too.  He questions whether the green sites at Barnbougle Dunes are natural, because I rerouted the back nine before construction?  And he says Ballyneal has "a lot of hilltop greens".

But I'll still take three courses in the top 25!  And I'm pleased to see that Barnbougle is the highest ranked of the bunch.
Impressive and throw in the highest ranked course amongst living architects. Who would have thought such acomplishments could be possible twenty five years ago in a time period where just breaking into the business without a familar last name was almost imposible. Congrats, were fortunate to have your participation on this site!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back