News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

William_G

Re: Irish Trip: Doonbeg - Day 1
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2013, 10:02:16 AM »
Have received numerous questions about Ireland v Scotland golf.
Character - Ireland (at least the courses we played) The dunes and landscape are a bit more compelling
Playability - Scotland - The gunge in Ireland is way nasty. The gorse in Scotland is way nasty. More gunge in Ireland and more open access greens in Scotland
Conditioning - Hard to compare, as our Irish trip was during great weather and our Scottish trip was during monsoon season. In both instances, conditions were very good. The brownish hue of Scottish photos belies a terrific and tight turf
Accommodations - Both equally excellent
Reception - Both equally, and genuinely, warm
Roads/driving - Both equally brutal and horrifying
Accents - Laura had no problem. For me, Scottish English is kjashvwiuehbgi

interesting in that our group offered Bandon into the comparison mix

most folks would agree with your assessment but when Bandon is in the mix
Bandon wins out on:
Playability
Conditioning
the golf is a combination of Ireland and Scotland
walking only (shocking to see carts in Ireland)

FWIW, I love driving in Ireland, the power of the diesel cars there is impressive, plus a sense of accomplishment surviving the journey form A to B, LOL

It's all about the golf!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2013, 11:43:08 AM »
I hate to say it, and bias notwithstanding, but I'm taking Bandon over South West Ireland. Bandon is very, very tough to beat.

wow, high praise indeed.

Under the Tebbit law, you lose your right to a Green Passport and gain a Green Card!
Let's make GCA grate again!

William_G

« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2013, 12:10:15 PM »
I hate to say it, and bias notwithstanding, but I'm taking Bandon over South West Ireland. Bandon is very, very tough to beat.

brave lad  8)
It's all about the golf!

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2013, 12:27:17 PM »
"I hate to say it, and bias notwithstanding, but I'm taking Bandon over South West Ireland. Bandon is very, very tough to beat."  Brian,S.

TURNCOAT!  For those of you who don't understand the meaning of the word....... "A turncoat is a person who shifts allegiance from one loyalty or ideal to another, betraying or deserting an original cause by switching to the opposing side"

First you dumped on Pat Ruddy, then you belittled the caddies at Lahinch and now you are selling out the fine golf courses in the South West of Ireland. Shame on you. You have been sucking down too many Gin and Tonics old boy.............

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2013, 12:43:59 PM »
You appear to have lost your sense of humour laddie. Slan.

Martin Toal

« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2013, 02:12:35 PM »
A course is not a proper honest links course unless there is a caravan (or RV) park next door.

William_G

« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2013, 02:23:13 PM »
I think a mobile home park immediately adjacent to a historic links golf course is a place I could live provided the proper accutrements.  :)
It's all about the golf!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back