News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ed_getka

Ohio golf
« on: August 02, 2003, 04:23:42 PM »
I am traveling to Columbus OH on Aug 16 and am looking for golf course recommendations. Also I would like to meet any GCA guys in the area that are interested in getting together for the golf or a meal.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

JLahrman

Re:Ohio golf
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2003, 05:28:47 PM »
If you're going to be playing public courses, the following are all decent:

Darby Creek
Cook's Creek
New Albany Links
Cumberland Trail
Champions

All are relatively new except Champions.

ed_getka

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2003, 10:55:30 PM »
My cousin mentioned Longaberger, and I had read good things about it, but I don't think the treehouse was too impressed with it. Any feedback?

Also, with regards to the other courses, how far are they from Columbus?

What is within 3 hours of Columbus you would say is a must see architecturally?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2003, 10:57:01 PM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2003, 11:08:01 PM »
Ed,

Longaberger is long and hard modern golf course with some spectacular holes, but nothing architecturally overwhelming.  And the greensfee I believe is overwhelming.  I played shortly after it opened and got a good deal, but I think it is probably pretty steep now.

Cooks Creek is very close to Columbus metro (a few minutes south).  Longaberger is probably 20 min east of the city.  I dont know where the others are.

I will be in Ohio also.  Unfortunately I will be there next week and probably only around the Cleveland area.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Michael Dugger

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2003, 11:22:01 PM »
Turboe said....

"some spectacular holes, but nothing architecturally overwhelming."

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

T_MacWood

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2003, 11:26:06 PM »
I'm not a big fan of Longaberger. Within three hours of Columbus: every golf course in Ohio, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Indianapolis and Pete Dye GC in WV.

The best public course in Central Ohio is Champions by a long shot (the old Winding Hollow CC), it is better than the majority of private courses in Columbus--although condition might be a bit spotty and the course is in the hood. Just outside Columbus Granville is still a good Ross course even though they've replaced four of his holes with four new out-of-character holes. Rattlesnake Ridge is a very good new course near Sunbury designed by a female architect--it is the best new public course in the area IMO. Unfortunately I will be out of town on the 16th.

JLahrman

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2003, 11:02:54 AM »
Champions is the only course I listed within the 270 circle.  All the others are maybe a half hour out of town.  Cook's Creek is about a half hour south, almost to Circleville.

I have never played Longaberger although I have heard lots of good things about it.  The greens fee is in the $130 neighborhood, I believe.  I don't know about trying to get a time there though.  From what I understand, there is a day in March when you can make tee times for the entire season, and the tee sheet for the year gets completely booked within hours.  And I believe that Longaberger is actually at least an hour east of the city.

Cincinnati has some worthwile public courses:  Sharon Woods, Blue Ash, Glenview, and several new courses that I haven't had a chance to play yet.

Tom:  I forgot about Granville, that is a quality course although the four non-Ross holes are out of character and poor relative to the rest of the course.

There are a couple of decent courses about an hour west/NW of Columbus but their names are escaping me.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2003, 11:06:12 AM by JAL »

ed_getka

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2003, 01:36:00 PM »
I played Mill Creek the last time I was in Ohio a couple of years ago and enjoyed it so I'll try something different this go round. Champions is sounding most promising at this point, thanks for the feedback guys. I received one e-mail to join us so we are now at 3, if anyone else would like to play shoot me a message.

JLahrman

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2003, 08:15:45 PM »
You'll like Champions.  It used to be private and is still in pretty good shape.  There are 17 pretty good golf holes, and then there is hole #8.

Dan Grossman

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2003, 02:25:00 AM »
Ed,

I'd recommend Granville too.  The new holes suck, but the old ones are really cool.  Its a neat old course in a college down (Dennison University).  I played a couple of junior tournaments there and always really enjoyed the course.  Granville is maybe an hour from Columbus, I think.  

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2003, 10:14:49 AM »
I was going to suggest the obvious, OSU-Scarlet, until I found out it's not open to the public.  I guess with as many students as (T)OSU has, the demand is plenty high.  I'm assuming you contacted the right person for this one, Ed.

David Wigler

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2003, 11:07:22 AM »
Ed,

Tartan Fields is semi-private and a pretty good Palmer design.  It is right across the street from Muirfield Village.  If you are serious about 3 hours, Plum Hollow is exactly 3 hours from downtown Columbus (Southfield, MI).  Send me a mesage and I would be more than happy to get you set up.
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2003, 06:43:06 PM »
Tom MacWood has always touted Moundbuilders, an old design set among Indian Mounds, but it is pretty far out of town.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Paul Richards

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2003, 07:54:57 PM »
To weigh in on some of the comments above:

Longaberger is a bit out of the way, but it is worth seeing.  While you are out there, stop by and hit Granville - the Ross holes are wonderful, but, as Dan mentions, the other holes stink, but it is like a living museum of Ross.  

I haven't heard much about the CC of Dublin here or elsewhere.  I stopped by and played it just after it was opened, and, in general, was pretty impressed with the holes.  I didn't care for all the man-made water hazards, as they detracted from some pretty good golf holes, and, in general, was pretty impressed and thought it might show up on someone's "best-new" list.

Cook's Creek is certainly a fine course as well.
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Matt_Ward

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2003, 08:14:10 PM »
Ed:

The private side of the ledger in and around Columbus is the way to go to see some really superb golf but if the public side is your only option I would recommend a course that's in Zanesville -- about 60 (?) miles east of Columbus.

There's a course in town called Eaglesticks by Hurdzan and Fry. In fact, it's the course that really got this duo going for all the jobs that came down the pike for them.

The course is on a very restricted piece of property but given the manufacturing by man's hand the holes are quite good in many spots and the course maxes out to just over 6,500 yards if memory serves.

Cook's Creek is another Hurdzan / Fry design but I found it to be formulaic in its presentation and style. In California Cook's Creek would be just another long layout with little outstanding qualities to it.

Years back I also played Indian Springs in Mechanicsburg and liked it at the time I was there but I have heard comments from people who believe this Jack Kidwell design is lacking in a number of areas. Maybe someone locally can comment on its present situation.

jg7236

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2003, 08:33:58 PM »
Bent Tree Golf Club
   740-965-5140
      Dennis Griffiths

Cooks Creek
   740-983-3636
      Michael Hurdzan/John Cook

Darby Creek
   937-349-7491
      Geoffrey Cornish/Brian Silva

Eagle Sticks Golf Club
   740-454-1032
      Dr. Michael Hurdzan

Foxfire Golf Club
   740-983-2801
      Jack Kidwell/Barry Serafin

Golf Club of Dublin
   "  "
      Dr. Michael Hurdzan/Dana Fry

Granville Golf Course
   740587-4653
      Donal Ross

Indian Springs Golf Club
   937-834-2111
      Jack Kidwell

Longaberger Golf Club
   740-763-1100
      Arthur Hills

New Albany Links
   614-855-8532
      Barry Serafin

Raymond Memorial Golf Course
   614-645-3276
      Robert Trent Jones, Sr.

Tartan Fields Golf Club
   614-792-0900
      Arnold Palmer

Westchester Golf Course
   614-834-4653
      Dr. Michael Hurdzan/ Dana Fry

Neal_Meagher

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2003, 08:48:06 PM »
I knew it was only a matter of time before The Buckeye checked in.  Nice list, John.
The purpose of art is to delight us; certain men and women (no smarter than you or I) whose art can delight us have been given dispensation from going out and fetching water and carrying wood. It's no more elaborate than that. - David Mamet

www.nealmeaghergolf.com

Paul Richards

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2003, 10:08:40 PM »
jg7236:

Your thoughts on CC of Dublin?

also, I'd like to add my agreement with Matt that Zanesville is a pretty neat place as well. ;)
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Jim H

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2003, 10:36:34 PM »
Indian Springs is the best Jack Kidwell course of the Jack Kidwell courses I've played. It's about 40 minutes West of Columbus, near Mechanicsburg.  

It has an interesting mix of holes with good variety, and a great closing four.  Some of the greens complexes are not imaginatively finished. It is surprisingly difficult. It also has many of the touches that Kidwell is known for; example, holes that run straight down a fence row with corn (or soybeans, depending on the rotation) on the other side of the fence.  

Indian Springs had ferocious greens in the original design.  The greens were legendary.  They were redone about 10 years ago to make them easier.

T_MacWood

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2003, 10:44:30 PM »
Eaglesticks was built on a site unsuited for golf...the architects did an admirable job based on the limitations...I still would not recommend anyone go out of their way...sources close to the architects are shocked the raters continually elevate this course...its their opinion it is not one of their better in state. The course is also unwalkable.

The Devil's Pulpit and its sister course were the springboards for these architects.

JLahrman

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2003, 11:35:25 PM »
Indian Springs is the name I couldn't recall.  I haven't played it but know people who have and liked it.

Paul Richards

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2003, 06:58:55 AM »
Tom:

Outside of the issue of conditioning, I found Eaglesticks to be an excellent use of the terrain, despite what an 'unusable' piece of property they had to work with.  I really enjoyed this course.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2003, 07:27:28 AM »
Anyone know anything about the new Links at Firestone Farms near Youngstown I think?

A friend of mine lives near it, and I wondered if anyone has played it yet?
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Dan_Belden

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2003, 10:44:58 AM »
Hey Ed:

If you are interested in coming up to Canton to play Brookside, send me an e-mail.  I am fairly sure that I am going to be in town that week.
    The greens surely won't dissapoint, and I belive we are starting some tree clearing by then to accomodate expanding the fairways.  I would make for a fun day.  

jg7236

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2003, 12:26:16 PM »
Paul,

I haven't played it yet.  I was suppose to play it when I went home in May but the course was completely filled for corporate outings during the Memorial Tournament.  From talking to my friends back home I heard the course is a links style course with lots of native grasses that makes one feel as if they are on a true links course.  What are your thoughts on the course Paul?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back