News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

I'm back!
« on: July 27, 2003, 11:50:53 PM »
Well, almost, I'm stuck in Chicago tonight after a late connection on the way back home.  I'll get back at noon tomorrow, 20 days after I left.  (I'm looking forward to spending a couple of days with the family, so don't expect another post til the middle of the week.)

In between, I've been to Cape Kidnappers to assess the grow-in (photos to come) ... on to take the interns to play at Kingston Heath and Royal Melbourne (they liked 'em) ... eight days of shaping at Barnbougle Dunes (six holes ready for irrigation) ... a day in Bandon to show around a potentially very important new client (sorry, I can't tell you yet) ... and two days in Philadelphia for the opening of Stonewall Two.

Yeah, I know you'd all trade me, but it's also been twenty days since I saw my wife and family, and it's hard to go to sleep when it's still noon in Melbourne.  (And I'm sure I've got a few things on my desk to take care of, too.)  I'll try to get you those photos in a couple of days.  

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:I'm back!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2003, 11:59:05 PM »
Tom, You have had quite a month haven't you! NGLA, Friars Head, Shinnecock then OZ and NZ.

Me, I would be ready for rehab!:)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2003, 11:59:22 PM by Tommy_Naccarato »

Brad Swanson

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2003, 12:00:43 AM »
Tom,
   Welcome back.  I'm sure I speak for many others when I say I'm eagerly awaiting the photos you took on your trip.  ;)

Cheers,
Brad Swanson

James Edwards

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2003, 04:14:37 AM »
Tom, I believe your interns might be the envy of every aspiring golf course architect on the planet!

I bet they found it extremely diffficult to get themselves up that morning and play RM and KH.   ;)

Looking forward to the update.

(......and applying for an internship at your place!!)

JE
@EDI__ADI

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2003, 04:51:29 PM »
What's the opening date for Stonewall II?  It looks AWESOME (Congratulations!)....

Bye

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2003, 05:04:23 PM »
Dingle?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2003, 07:23:05 PM »
I will try to get those photos to Tommy N tomorrow for posting here.

As for Stonewall Two, it is open as of last Saturday if you're playing with a member.  It's still pretty rough in spots, and the greens aren't up to speed; I'm sure it will be better when I am back at the end of September, if they'll just keep the members off it.  But Sunday it was 28 rounds on the new course and 8 on the old!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2003, 07:38:00 PM »
Tom:

Can you provide the distance on the new course from the tips and has it been rated / sloped thus far?

Many thanks ... ;)

P.S. Last question -- will the new course in Lubbock be open by October?

Willie_Dow

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2003, 08:39:14 PM »
Looking forward to the Pennsylvania Open Championship at Stonewall, August 11 thru August 13.  Great oysters at Ludwig's, especially Rhode Island oysters!

Michael Dugger

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2003, 05:09:30 PM »
It's a 100 freaking degrees in Portland, Oregon today and I'm stuck in an office with no A/C and haven't played golf for two weeks.

Mr. Doak, when are you going to get your most recent pictures up?  

Pleeeeaaassseeee, I need a pick me up today, badly.

Singed,

DTSTTCK

(Dying to see TTech and Cape Kidnappers)
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Texas_Three_Putt

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2003, 06:41:32 PM »
P.S. Last question -- will the new course in Lubbock be open by October?

Grand opening is schedule for Friday Sept 12th. So yes, the course will be open by October.

http://texastech.ocsn.com/genrel/073003aaa.html

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2003, 10:51:35 AM »
The scorecard for Stonewall Two is as follows:

1- 419 yards.  Drive to crest of hill; second downhill to Oakmont-style fallaway green.
2- 205 yards.  Uphill par 3 diagonally across stone wall to difficult tiered green.  No bunkers.
3- 496 yards.  Based on #4 Royal Melbourne West, with drive uphill over bunkers, but a more severely downhill second shot.  Even I can reach in two.
4- 429 yards.  Dogleg right, three fairway bunkers in corner.  Second shot uphill toward church steeple, wicked green.
5- 414 yards.  Plays longer into west wind.  Fallaway left-to-right green.
6- 151 yards.  Drop shot par-3.  Green similar to Raynor "short" hole, not a horseshoe, but a nasty ridge running across middle of green combined with left-right tilt.
7- 455 yards.  Strong, uphill par-4 to tiered green.
8- 554 yards.  Drive to left-right fairway; second shot off hilltop (can be blind if you play too far back).  Narrow green on horizon of further hill, set diagonally with bunkers right and fallaway to left.
9- 183 yards.  Short hole over valley to small green on end of ridge.

10- 356 yards.  Dogleg right in narrow space shared with 18th fairway.  Severely contoured green set at angle to line of play.
11- 413 yards.  Drive uphill, second shot to "potato chip" green with valley through back half.
12- 356 yards from back; 319 from normal tee.  Plays right along a gentle crest to wide fairway; reverse tiered green a bit like #5 Crystal Downs.  We only built the back tee to be sure players wouldn't drive the green consistently, but it doesn't seem to be much of a problem.
13- 218 yards.  Flattish par-3 to angled green set near pond on right.  Bunkers left and right.  In stroke play, I'd strongly consider laying up and chipping for a three.
14- 421 yards.  Sweeping dogleg right with lots of bunkers from corner to green; one of the prettiest holes on the course.
15- 449 yards from back tee across creek (not grown in yet).  Plays uphill along the boundary with the original course.  One bunker in center of wide fairway; diagonal cross bunkers for second shot; wild green.
16- 479 yards par 4.  Tee shot over irrigation pond, requires solid carry (maybe 210 yards from back tee).  Small green with bunkers right.
17- 213 yards.  Redan-type hole; green has large wrinkles inside it.  Also framed by fairway bunkers on 11th hole behind.
18- 524 yards, back tee not complete.  Streams cross fairway at 300 yards and at 450; small green well guarded by bunkers and set right against stone barn at rear.  A fairly easy three-shotter, can get you in a lot of trouble if you go for it.

Total 6,735 yards par 70.  There is no course rating or slope yet -- I'd guess they're not really high, but there is a lot of contour in the greens so it depends how fast they're kept.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back