News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mac Plumart

Ryder Cup Venues
« on: May 28, 2013, 06:55:35 PM »
Where do you most want to see a Ryder Cup hosted?

I'll say...

In the US, Bandon Dunes...and rotate through the courses.

GB&I, Cruden Bay!

Rest of the World, Royal Melbourne.  (I've got a serious fetish for that place.  I can't get enough of it).
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Ronald Montesano

Re: Ryder Cup Venues
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 07:28:04 PM »
USA...I think that Bandon is the anti-venue for professional golf. It represents all that is right about amateur golf. I would like to see a Ryder Cup at Sawgrass...I think that the TPC course would favor the USA side, as would the proud southern golf fans.

EUROPE...Ditto on Cruden Bay...haven't played it, but probably too short and amateurish (again, a compliment) for the professional game. I would like to see either the New Course or the Jubilee (or a combination of the two) in GBI. I would also like to see a nordic course host the game, some place mysterious, some place bewitching, as though we had left the realm of golf.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

BHoover

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 07:30:20 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing Whistling Straits host the Ryder Cup.

If I'm putting together a wish-list, I'll go with Shinny, Pebble or Cypress in the USA. In Europe, I vote for any links course with Turnberry being at the top of the list.

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 07:43:45 PM »
Bethpage Black.  Hard to find a better venue and the weather will be much better in September.

BHoover

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 07:45:57 PM »
Bethpage Black.  Hard to find a better venue and the weather will be much better in September.

I'm afraid to think of how NY fans would behave during a Ryder Cup. Hard to argue with the venue, though.

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 08:09:44 PM »
Trust me.  It would be electric and the facility is tailor made for the event.

It's also a nice plus that most matches won't make it to 18... :)

http://www.newsday.com/sports/golf/new-pga-president-has-major-plans-for-bethpage-black-1.4321159
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 08:15:21 PM by Geoffrey_Walsh »

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 08:14:30 PM »
Brian,

I am afraid Cypress would be a non starter. It's too short and could not handle the crowds.

It was fine for the Walker Cup in 1981 but even then, the American members of the team produced some very low scores. I think Jodie Mudd was something like seven under par, winning his match on the twelfth hole. Perhaps someone could correct me here.

Bob

BHoover

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 08:18:27 PM »
Brian,

I am afraid Cypress would be a non starter. It's too short and could not handle the crowds.

It was fine for the Walker Cup in 1981 but even then, the American members of the team produced some very low scores. I think Jodie Mudd was something like seven under par, winning his match on the twelfth hole. Perhaps someone could correct me here.

Bob

I know that Cypress never will host a Ryder Cup, but it still would be awesome to see the 16th hole play a role in the matches.

BHoover

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 08:20:56 PM »
Trust me.  It would be electric and the facility is tailor made for the event.

It's also a nice plus that most matches won't make it to 18... :)

http://www.newsday.com/sports/golf/new-pga-president-has-major-plans-for-bethpage-black-1.4321159

I think you're right that the facility is made for the Ryder Cup, and I think it ultimately will get a Ryder Cup. But if Boston was rowdy and at times rude to the Euros, NY will be downright brutal.

Imagine if Sergio had to face that crowd this year at the US Open. Philly will be bad enough.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 08:21:15 PM »
t it still would be awesome to see the 16th hole play a role in the matches

Oh man, would it ever!!!

BHoover

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 08:28:10 PM »
Somewhat off topic, but I think the Presidents Cup should be played at Royal Melbourne on a regular, if not permanent, basis, at least when not held in the USA.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 08:32:19 PM »
Seriously - The GCA at the Ryder Cup is irrelevant. If the K Club can host a GREAT Ryder Cup, and then what's that place in Kentucky? These are awful courses and the drama was fantastic... Don't sweat it - re Ryder Cup. The players will turn up an deliver.

BHoover

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 08:35:55 PM »
Seriously - The GCA at the Ryder Cup is irrelevant. If the K Club can host a GREAT Ryder Cup, and then what's that place in Kentucky? These are awful courses and the drama was fantastic... Don't sweat it - re Ryder Cup. The players will turn up an deliver.

But the Ryder Cup is arguably the game's premiere event. Why shouldn't we want the event to be held at great courses? I know that money, rather than history or architectural significance is the driving force behind the Ryder Cup, but I think it would only add to the event if it were held on a great golf course.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 09:56:04 PM »
I doubt that very many people care where it is played except a few on this website. It is after all a corporate drinking weekend with some great match play golf.
I think that courses that provide opportunities for 'car crashes' are what many are hoping for. I mean The Belfry provided plenty of entertainment and that is not exactly a Top 100 as I am aware!!!!!
Bandon is obviously a great golf destination but I think the crowds may be a little small up there!  ;)  TPC Sawgrass would seem like the ideal course for excitement and viewing.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Tim Martin

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 10:46:55 PM »
I doubt that very many people care where it is played except a few on this website. It is after all a corporate drinking weekend with some great match play golf.
I think that courses that provide opportunities for 'car crashes' are what many are hoping for. I mean The Belfry provided plenty of entertainment and that is not exactly a Top 100 as I am aware!!!!!
Bandon is obviously a great golf destination but I think the crowds may be a little small up there!  ;)  TPC Sawgrass would seem like the ideal course for excitement and viewing.
+1 on TPC Sawgrass. Plenty of drama!

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 02:50:14 AM »
Sunningdale and Oakmont. AND Brookline (just cause it'd remind the Europeans what happened there, at least the miracle at medinah will mean medinah never hosts another ryder cup again)
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 03:00:10 AM »
Co Down and/or Portrush.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ben Malach

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 03:34:09 AM »
Ron  I doubt that the New and Jubilee could suport the infrastructure and fans required for such an event. But it would be alot of fun toi see the pros tackle both layouts in match play.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 04:16:34 AM by Ben Malach »
@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

Mark Pearce

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 03:57:48 AM »
Why no mentions of TOC?  Surely a course brilliantly suited to match play.  Cut the rough, sod defending par, let them play.  Loads of half par holes, lots of birdies, plenty of bogeys if it blows.  Most of all, lots of holes where good players will take different scores, so plenty of movement in matches.  Purpose built for excitement.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tom Kelly

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 05:18:46 AM »
Augusta.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2013, 12:13:38 PM »
I'd just love to see some different and out-of-the-box courses. The Ryder Cup is such a unique events, it's kind of a shame that it's always being played on the same courses where we see various tour events and majors. Send it to a short, quirky course where it doesn't matter if a guy is shooting 15 under. Wouldn't that be exciting to watch in match play!

Carr Harris

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2013, 03:04:30 PM »
Other than the aforementioned TPC Sawgrass, the American course I think would be the best fit for the Ryder Cup would be Pete Dye GC. Because

A. You would be hard pressed to find a more beautiful setting in the Fall, and

B. The finish (and the 18th in particular) would be awesome for a high stakes match play event.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2013, 03:05:39 PM »
Great one, Carr.

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2013, 03:18:40 PM »
I can't comment on the logistics, but I would love to see one at Sebonack. I think they could really have a great match play set up with the elasticity of the tees and the pin placements.

Ash Towe

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2013, 03:22:28 PM »
For a combination of links golf and logistics I think Birkdale would be a good Ryder Cup venue.

Presidents Cup at Cape Kidnappers. :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back