News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Holyhead_ferry_1

Re:Reachable Par 5's - What Distance today ?
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2003, 12:56:23 PM »
The reachable Par 5's are where the golfer, the scratch player in most cases, may be able to beat par or better, where if the architect is worth his salt, a great golf hole may be created.

If we look at the par 5's, the great ones they afford a hole that gives the advantage to the player who uses his or her head.
A conversation comes to mind with a golfer on the US tour (who's in the top ten money list this week, being a gentleman I will leave it at that) who when we were looking at some plans stated, "but Ian I can't reach the par fives in two," the frustration on his face was a picture to which I repiled, "It's a par 5 -------, your supposed to hit it in three shots not two".

For the mere mortal, the par 5 is a rest bite in the round where he can, if the golfing gods smile, make a birdy. The design of the par 5 has over the years has created much debate, in our little circle too the cries ring out on length of hole.
475 or 700 yards, it matters not, the hole should provide the player with options, the more daring amoung us, if they desire crunching a drive  to the spot where they, at their own risk and reward may attack the hole.

The 13th at Augusta produces drama every year some where in the 4 days. This bastion of golf should not be belittled by the gorilla with length off the tee, to smash a long or medium iron to the green. There should always be a shortish par five on each nine if the regulation standard here, of par 72 is achived.Where the scratch player takes an Iron or three wood to keep it in play as most today hit these clubs 230-260 yards.

The missnoma of bunkering the hell out of the hole to create a great hole offends me as does other architects. I can think of several courses that do not have one bunker on the course, St Deniols Golf Club  in Bangor, North Wales, the course was laid out early in the last century and it's defense is it's ability to make the player hit golf shots. The greens undulate well but not to excess. The par 5 are fair the par 5 18th is a hole that hinges on the drive, a good drive will afford the chance at the green for the second shot. a bad drive and three shots are required.

That's the essence of the par 5, distance to the average golfer 18 to 26 handicap is of no relevance unless he hits his sunday best. The champion golfer should even with length, some where on the course be brought down to human level.

A great par 5 is one that exites the player where they look forward to the hole and the chance to beat the course. Not to have ahole that at 700 yards most players in the world would need A Howitzer or Exocet class golf ball to reach the green in three.

I challenge you out there to list your top five Par 5's for excitement and playability not because their famous just have a think.

1. 13th Augusta National, Georgia, USA.
2. 6th Carnoustie, Scotland.
3. 12th Holyhead, Golf Club, Wales.
4. 3rd  Kennemer, Netherlands (Holland to philistines out there)
5. 18th St Deniols Golf Club, Wales.

Regards
Ian

James Edwards

Re:Reachable Par 5's - What Distance today ?
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2003, 06:49:56 PM »
Ian,  

Fine point. (...I passed your regards on to the gaffer by the way).

I would add #16 Sawgrass as again, like you said, it's not long, it's not overly bunkered but comes at the perfect point in the round where 3 can be achieved to make ground up on the field come sunday, but 6 is also in the equation.

I've played the shot and it really is a thought provoker!

James
@EDI__ADI

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back