News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Pitner

Re: Denver City Park redesign
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2017, 11:42:13 PM »

I'm not a particular fan of the existing course--it's generally uninteresting and rounds there take too long--but I don't have the sense its clientele, including old-timers, other regulars, and people out for an afternoon round with beers and mountain views, is clamoring for an upgrade. This obviously is being driven by the I-70 project (the highway is actually some distance from the course), not the golf. If Denver were to invest in its golf courses, I'd prefer to see money spent on a restoration of Wellshire, which, in contrast to City Park, actually has very good bones. With that said, Wellshire too is okay as it is.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2017, 11:45:15 PM »
Thanks for posting Doug. I've been anticipating this decision for awhile. I wonder if they wanted a "local" product or perhaps felt Hale Irwin's name on it was important. I don't believe I've played anything he's worked on.

I suppose the creek system being installed on the western end of the property is the "flood control" portion. I wish the holes were numbered; I'm unsure what holes are where. Is there a more detailed plan anywhere?

I don't know who's doing most of the work under the Irwin name, but I've played a few of "his" courses--Highlands Ranch (CO), Prescott Lakes (AZ), and an 18-hole par 3 course in AZ that are all perfectly serviceable. I haven't played his course at Cordillera, but I have heard many good things.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2017, 08:01:02 AM »

I went to the Glacier Club and Lodestone websites, which make them look decent of course.  Looks like semi-interesting upscale design (pictures don't tell the story necessarily, I know).

I had to giggle when I read on one of the above sites "shaped by Hale Irwin."  I know the regular golf course visitor doesn't care, but even a likely-incorrect "designed by Hale Irwin" would have been more accurate than "shaped."
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Doug Wright

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2017, 11:03:06 AM »
Doug,
Do you know if the other routings were posted from the other design firms?
I would be curious what the Dye Design firm considered for the storm drainage area and clubhouse relocation?

Jim, I haven't seen the other routings posted anywhere, but I know someone on the committee and I'll see if I can get them.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Doug Wright

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2017, 11:23:13 AM »

I'm not a particular fan of the existing course--it's generally uninteresting and rounds there take too long--but I don't have the sense its clientele, including old-timers, other regulars, and people out for an afternoon round with beers and mountain views, is clamoring for an upgrade. This obviously is being driven by the I-70 project (the highway is actually some distance from the course), not the golf. If Denver were to invest in its golf courses, I'd prefer to see money spent on a restoration of Wellshire, which, in contrast to City Park, actually has very good bones. With that said, Wellshire too is okay as it is.

Tim,

As you say, this is all about the drainage issue. Probably most of the $40 million is going to that. Despite pretty strong neighborhood opposition, this will go through as planned. It does have a loyal local golf presence that hopefully is participating in the process. I've always enjoyed playing City Park for what it is--basic, affordable golf--except one time years ago when we were literally chased off the course by some menacing characters. Now I only play City first thing in the morning, when pace of play is terrific and such characters are sleeping. I've been saying for years that Wellshire (Donald Ross 1926) could be really good with the right people (Iverson? Urbina?) for not a lot of money.

billb

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2018, 03:43:41 PM »
I drove by the site a couple of days ago. Lots and lots of dirt being moved, stacks of big concrete culverts, piles of rocks all over the place, this is a serious construction project! Outside of a couple of tee boxes and some trees there is nothing left of the golf course. There are poles up for greens and tees, best guess is that the are keeping 9 of the old green sites. However, the routing is almost all new, only a few of the holes look similar to the old.
The final design is here: http://icongolfstudio.com/uploads/3/4/1/9/34198584/180125_final_1.12.2_final_plan.pdf
Several things jump out:
Old yardage (Bronze/Gold/Black) was 6708/6285/5863, new yardage is 6709/6281/5794, that seems like a neat trick.
There will be a full size driving range (yay!).
The old course had back to back par 5s (10 and 11). The new 15 and 16 are back to back par 5s.
The old course had 2 very reachable par 5s (4 and 17), the new 16 looks very reachable at 455 yards from the Gold tees.
There is a par 3 / First Tee course located right next to the new clubhouse.
All in all, it looks like an excellent use of the space. Assuming the new greens will not be raised and overly tilted like some of the old ones, Denver will have a new and improved City Park!

Matthew Rose

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2018, 03:56:38 PM »

It looks like they've changed the routing from the plan I saw. I think 10 and 18 were #8 and #9 at one point. I think they obviously wanted to get away from having the first hole parallel to 26th Avenue. I think I'd probably flip the nines as I like #9 as a finisher.

They've gone with a 5/10/3 version of a par 70, which I'm a fan of.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

billb

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2018, 04:27:18 PM »
The monkeys in the zoo will like it better this way. Also, it would be rather disconcerting for the golfers (especially the ones playing City Park for the first time) to hear the zoo noises on the first tee!
Yes, #9 does look like a good finishing hole. However, then the back nine would include the old holes #2-5 (with #4 a par 4 as it should be) which are not strong holes. I like the finish how it is with the back to back par 5s (#15 and #16), then the long par 3 #17 and par 4 #18 which looks like it will play uphill (and be close enough to get more zoo noises).

Doug Wright

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2018, 06:41:26 PM »
Bill, the Denver Zoo noises (and smells) are part of the unique "ambiance" of City Park GC.

This is the first time I've seen the updated routing. From what I recall of the earlier version, this looks improved. I too like the finishing holes--17 and 18 will be tough.  The starting and finishing holes will be under the clubhouse porch for onlookers to observe, which is as it should be, and #1 will have a great view of the mountains. At least #1 will face west for us early morning golfers (holes 2-5, however, will still be right into the morning sun which is legacy City Park design...). There still appear to be potential safety issues with the neighboring avenues, especially #11, where I'd think the encroaching lake will steer many golfers wittingly or unwittingly towards 26th Avenue. I also don't know why the bunkers on the par 3 12th aren't being placed on the left side of the green to encourage shots away from York Street.  All in all it looks like an improvement. We shall see.     

billb

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2018, 07:36:27 PM »
Doug, it has been a number of years since I have been there and I forgot about the zoo smells. Thanks for reminding me :-\

A few times I took friends from out of town to play City Park and was sure to not mention the zoo. I did get a few very curious looks walking down the old 14th and 15th when the monkeys starting making noise.

Another thing I noticed is that a lot of dirt has been removed from the west end of the property. The course plan does show a new pond between 11 and 13 and a meandering creek (or is it a burn)? I wonder if this part of the course will be built lower as part of the storm water containment strategy? If so, several holes (11, 13, 14) look to be downhill drives and uphill approaches. 17 looks to be uphill and 16 may have some elevation changes.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back