News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Wold

Have a good family friend that is working The Open this year. He is a producer for ESPN and would like to play the week after the Open.

Bill_McBride

If he could play Hoylake that would be spectacular, it's a great course and fun as well as difficult. 

Formby, Delamere Forest, some others in Formby area north of Liverpool, all good choices. 

Paul Dolton

Hi Paul

Wallasey is very good. Well worth a game.

Bill_McBride

Don't how I forgot Wallasey, it's terrific. 

Mark_Rowlinson

Don't miss out on Reddish Vale, Cavendish, Prestbury....

BCrosby

Hoylake is an examination. Wallasey is a delight. Neither should be missed.

Next time in the area I want to play Formby and courses on Mark's list.

Bob

Greg Taylor

Formby...!

Adam Lawrence

Even the media find it hard to get on an Open course the week after the championship!

Form by would be my choice.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Frank Pont

Even the media find it hard to get on an Open course the week after the championship!

Form by would be my choice.

+1

And if he likes tough and old fashioned West Lancashire is also a very good links

Sean_A

Does your mate have a budget or is he on a jolly?  The one course up that way which I would say its worth stumping for is Formby.  Hoylake and Birkdale are great courses, in the same general class as Formby.  All the others are various steps below the big 3.  Wallasey will probably be quite convenient.  It may be more interesting to head south for some inland golf after seeing a few links. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Brent Hutto

I've played at Birkdale and Formby and would gladly play either of them again, given the chance. However, I suspect that the week after the Open will be a tough time to get a tee time at either course. But both are outstanding IMO. Can't say I have a preference between those two, it would probably depend on my mood of the day if you asked me to choose between.

jeffwarne

Wallesey, Delamare Forest, Formby
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tom_Doak

Is he going to stay right in that area?  I would imagine that all of the local courses will be extra-crowded the two weeks around the Open, and there won't be any bargains to be found.

If he's looking for a bit of adventure, I would recommend a trip to the northern half of Wales.  Hoylake is the perfect jumping-off point for that.  He could stop at Delamere Forest on the way out, I can't imagine it will be overrun.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back