News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Malcolm Mckinnon

Edinburgh or Dublin Vet School?
« on: December 25, 2012, 10:17:29 PM »
My daughter has been accepted to both the University of Edinburgh "Dick Vet" school as well as UC Dublin's Vet School.

OK, I'm bragging, but which school in your minds is better for GCA golf junkets?

Which locality has the better golf?   ???  
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 10:34:11 PM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

Mark Chaplin

Re: Edinburgh or Dublin Vet School?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 02:33:46 AM »
There's no question, don't get euros.
Cave Nil Vino

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 04:27:57 AM »
Edinburgh has much more to offer the GCA fanatic :)

Jon

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 07:34:43 AM »
Edinburgh
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 08:43:32 AM »
Funny story about Edinburgh.  The son of my Santa Barbara friends did a semester abroad there, has a great time. A few weeks after he arrives he sends them a note.  "Wow, there's a castle here!"  apparently you can see the castle from pretty much anywhere in Edinburgh.

If she's leaning toward Edinburgh, don't read The Ginger Man.

Martin Toal

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 11:02:14 AM »
TBH, I would choose the bet vet school and be happy with the golfing consequences. You can't go too far wrong with either in that regard.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 11:48:11 AM »
TBH, I would choose the bet vet school and be happy with the golfing consequences. You can't go too far wrong with either in that regard.

Martin,

I doubt the choice will be made on the basis of her father's golfing preference. I think it was just one of those kinda questions

Jon

Martin Toal

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 11:52:43 AM »

Martin,

I doubt the choice will be made on the basis of her father's golfing preference. I think it was just one of those kinda questions

Jon

I know that, but when the choice is Dublin or Edinburgh, either way you are laughing.

Now if it had been Dublin or Cambridge, much easier choice.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 01:07:24 PM »
Maybe Martin, though from a GCA point of view Dublin is not even in the same county as Edinburgh. Student life is very good there to though no idea on the quality of the Vet courses :)

Jon

Gary Slatter

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 01:10:43 PM »
Congratulations to her, tough choice, both could be perfect choices.   Might be more animal variety in Scotland, Dublin for horses, Edinburgh for coos.    Great airfare deals from both cities to the rest of Europe.   Lucky girl!
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Jack_Marr

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 02:14:57 PM »
I would say Edinburgh for a golf fan. Edinburgh is a more beautiful place too but Dublin has its pluses too. I am going to UCD at the moment and it is a good college. Dublin is a good place for young people.
John Marr(inan)

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 02:50:41 PM »
The 'Dick' had a series on STV for a while:

Hope you can see this in the colonies!

http://programmes.stv.tv/vet-school/

My Vote? Need you ask...

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 04:53:20 PM »
'Twould be Auld Reekie for me!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 08:44:33 PM »
This was a silly post on my part, but I have been on an emotional roller coaster as suddenly, just before Christmas, the acceptances rolled in.

Thanks for your replies!

I'm rubbing my hands together thinking of Eastern Scotland. I have not been there since  I was a teenager and I am thinking about the pleasure of settling my daughter into the Dick Vet while also exploring North Berwick, Gullane, Muirfield (if I can swing an invite), St. Andrews, Cruden Bay and others.

However, Dublin looks great also. I know nothing about courses around Dublin, zip, zero, nada.

My bucket list of Irish courses would be Portrush and Royal County Down which are a ways outside of Dublin. I would also love to see Lahinch, Portmarnoch (closer in}, Waterville, Ballybunion, etc.

In any case, I am thrilled for my daughter's opportunity as well as my own to have an excuse to enjoy UK and/or IRE golf.

As for the Veterinary schools both are excellent.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 09:45:36 PM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 09:48:56 PM »
Malcolm, you don't have to wangle an invite to Muirfield, they more or less welcome guests on Tuesday and Thursday via their website.  It's a great day, not to be missed. 

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 10:05:04 PM »
Bill,

Thanks for the info.

How is your daughter making out in NOLA?

Malcolm

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2012, 11:06:42 PM »
As I went to Edinburgh Uni and continued to live in the town after graduation this may be a little biased, but I would vote for Edinburgh in terms of a place to live.  Given it's proximity to East Lothian it is also a little difficult to beat in terms of a golfing location.

If your daughter plays golf, Edinburgh also has the very cheap council golf membership which is about £350 for a years worth of unlimited golf on six courses. One of which is the interesting braid hills course.

Scott Warren

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 11:17:31 PM »
Edinburgh hands down.

Aside from it being a better city with better golf and greater proximity to wonderful, varied sightseeing, Edinburgh is much cheaper than Dublin.

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, 11:57:16 PM »
I'm Pretty much sold. Edinburgh {Dick Vet) for sure!

It's considered the finest Vet School in Europe from what I understand.

We will attend a New York City event for accepted students at the Cornell Club in NYC  this Feb. 7th.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 12:23:51 AM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 05:40:27 AM »
Another vote for Edinburgh.  Less than an hour to Muirfield, an hour to St Andrews, lovely city, culture, restaurants, stirling.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Martin Toal

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 06:43:15 AM »
Malcolm

I hope she enjoys Edinburgh. The UK is not a big place and you can fly from one end to the other in little over an hour, and with some planning it should not cost a fortune.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2012, 07:58:04 AM »
Bill,

Thanks for the info.

How is your daughter making out in NOLA?

Malcolm

She is fine, thank you.  Unless the fiscal cliff shuts down the USDA where she is a microbiologist!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
The only "problem" with Edinburgh is your daughter will not want to come home for the summer. The Fringe is one of the world's greatest events, with thousands of performances and lots of work opportunities!
Cave Nil Vino

Ivan Morris

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2012, 09:11:49 AM »
Believe it or not - Scots youngsters drink more and speak a completely 'foreign and unintelligible' language. The Dublin Vet School is world class and at least as good as Edinburgh's. Dublin is cheaper due to the euro and the golf (and the golfers) ain't half bad either. Beyond 'the Pale' of Dublin, Irish golf can stand shoulder to shoulder with the best that Scotland can offer.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2012, 10:02:42 AM »
Ivan "Dublin is cheaper because of the Euro" I trust you mean Dublin, Ireland just over the water from Wales??
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back