News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cliff Walston

Amarillo Country Club Renovation (Weibring/Wolfard)
« on: July 17, 2012, 09:40:10 PM »
Anyone have any insight into this project?  Its a renovation by Weibring/Wolfard.  They created a website specifically for the renovations that includes an overlay of the new holes over the old.  I found it to be interesting.

http://www.accrenovations.com/

Cliff

mike_beene

Re: Amarillo Country Club Renovation (Weibring/Wolfard)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 01:07:48 AM »
I am very surprised that there are so many trees and that a course in that part of the world could ever get away with tree removal. They should have a nice dry climate but I don't know anything about  golf there.They aren't that far from Ballyneal. Very curious about the project. Amarillo is where they tried Oprah for defaming beef.

Phil McDade

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 10:53:42 AM »
They aren't that far from Ballyneal. Very curious about the project.

Approximately 425 miles apart from each other. I suppose that's not far in some quarters.

Cliff Walston

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 12:40:21 PM »
Although they are 425 miles apart, they both sit on top of the Ogallala aquifer stretching all the way up to Nebraska's sand hills.  As far as tree removal, every community plants as many possible trees in that part of the state.  In fact, you can see towns from miles away on the horizon as you approach them because of these tree plantings.  I have seen but not played the original course.  It was a parkland style tree lined layout that reflected that attitude, and it has some nice, soft natural movement to the land. 

From Weibring's website:

Amarillo Country Club was designed by a William McConnell around 1919. It was re-designed in 1960 by Warren Cantrell and Jay Morrish in 1983. Always regarded as “the best golf course between Dallas/Fort Worth and Denver”, almost 30 years had passed without any significant improvements. The golf course had deteriorated due to a failing irrigation system and infrastructure, lack of length, worn out features, poor water features, tree over-crowding, minimal strategy off the tee, safety issues and a very average practice range and short game area.

A plan was developed that addressed the improvements while maintaining the qualities of the golf course that have always worked. The membership approved the plan and construction began in the fall of 2011. Through the process, the routing was adjusted slightly to add more directional and distance variety to the front nine and reduce two safety issues on the back nine. A significant turf reduction program was implemented that reduced maintained area and increase aesthetics and framing. The length of the course was increased from 6500 yards to 7000 yards. The traditional character and style of the facility was maintained while providing for increased visibility of the targets and bunkers.

The practice facilities were given a major overhaul. The range was converted from a flat field into a target rich practice range with driving lanes. The floor of the range and target greens are planned to be used as a short course by the Club at designated times for junior play. A short game practice area will be added as well.

The golf course is under construction and is scheduled to open in the summer of 2013. 

Random fact:  Oprah's jury consultant in that lawsuit was Phil McGraw, who would go on to become "Dr. Phil." 

Sam Morrow

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 11:12:33 PM »
That's really a shame that they hired Weibring and Wolfard to do it. Not a fan of their renovation work.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 11:41:05 PM »
I hate to hear that Sam. I had high hopes for it after the club's company line.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 11:43:25 PM »
I hate to hear that Sam. I had high hopes for it after the club's company line.

I don't like the renovation work they did at Cedar Crest, Fair Oaks, Pecan Hollow, either Sherrill Park course, or the TPC.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 11:11:19 AM »
That is a good list of negative efforts.

Cliff Walston

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 11:37:24 AM »
That is a shame.  I have a friend who is a member, so I will see it at some point.  However, wish I had played the prior version for comparison.  Seems as though they are removing trees, widening fairways, etc.  So at least it seems headed in a more positive direction.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back