News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Forrest Richardson

Best Par-3 Courses (Under 150-yards Avg per Hole)
« on: June 22, 2012, 02:55:28 PM »
Some here may know that the USGA does not allow transportable handicaps on courses measuring less than 3,000 yards (for 18-holes). There some great examples of courses that average less than 150-yards per hole — Bandon Preserve averages is just 92-yards, Prairie Club Horse about the same, Augusta about 118-yards, Angel Park about 92-yards, etc.

Any others? I am working on a list of these examples.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Matt Bosela

Re: Best Par-3 Courses (Under 150-yards Avg per Hole)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 03:05:32 PM »
I'm pretty sure Colorado GC is under 150 yards per hole on their par 3 course - I hope to see it next week when I'm out that way.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 03:47:48 PM »
The Links at Terranea in Palos Verdes comes to mind:

http://www.terranea.com/golf-resort-information.php

Flemmng at Harding Park, and Lake Chabot par 3 courses also.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 03:52:45 PM »
Armand Hammer!

Maybe not for the holes...but the setting, the smell of $$$, and the feel of plastic surgery.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 03:56:57 PM »
"Flemmng at Harding Park, and Lake Chabot par 3 courses also."

Tim Leahy -

The 9-hole Fleming course at Harding has 3 par-4's that average 363 yards and 6 par-3's that average over 179 yards. The par-3's at Fleming play at least as tough as the par-3's on the "big" course at Harding.

DT
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 04:04:50 PM by David_Tepper »

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 04:19:59 PM »
Forrest -

I played Quail Canyon, an 18-hole par-3 course in Tucson, in late March. My guess is the holes averaged around 125 yards.

The greens were rather rudimentary, but the course is set in a surprisingly scenic spot and was fun to play.

http://www.quailcanyongolf.com/

DT

Greg Chambers

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 04:54:27 PM »
Rancho Park par 3 and Los Feliz par 3 in LA.  Weddington par 3 in Studio City.  Columbine Country Club in Denver has a really nice par 3 course.  As does Green Valley Ranch, also in Denver.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Jud_T

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 06:08:32 PM »
Winnetka Park District Par 3 Course, Winnetka, IL.  Designed by William Langford. 1194 yards, par 27.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 08:52:15 PM »
The new par-3 course at Pebble Beach is actually really fun, and the average distance is under 100 yards. Maybe not brilliant, but very enjoyable.

astavrides

Re: Best Par-3 Courses (Under 150-yards Avg per Hole) New
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 10:22:03 PM »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 10:47:03 PM by astavrides »

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 10:34:45 PM »
The new par-3 course at Pebble Beach is actually really fun, and the average distance is under 100 yards. Maybe not brilliant, but very enjoyable.

New as in Peter Hay, built 1957?  Or did they renovate it recently?   I played it in 2000 and didn't care for it much.

My understanding is that the golf course was rebuilt essentially from scratch after it was used and abused during the 2010 US Open. I'm not sure if it was rebuilt the same way or differently.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 10:39:57 PM »
Winnetka Park District Par 3 Course, Winnetka, IL.  Designed by William Langford. 1194 yards, par 27.

"Designed?"

Yes, according to the Village:

Winnetka Golf Club boasts another Langford design in its 9-hole 1,194-Yard par-3 course. This challenging track is not only a great place for a novice to learn the game but it is a fine venue for the lower handicapper who is seeking to sharpen his or her short game skills. With small and severely undulating greens, you can expect to use every club in your bag whether it's on the 78-Yard third hole, the 166-Yard fifth hole or the 220-Yard ninth hole.

http://www.winpark.org/golf-club/general-info/wgc_history.aspx
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Marc Levine

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 11:16:00 PM »
The palm beach par 3 right on Palm Beach Island is a great test with outstanding greens.  When I was at the Everglades Club we used to play there a lot and it was a ton of fun

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 12:37:42 AM »
What is the list for?
And why care if the USGA counts such rounds or not?
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Brian Curley

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 10:37:56 AM »
Forrest-  I grew up on Pebble Beach and played hours on end with the neighborhood gang at Peter Hay. I always liked the par three option for numerous reasons.

Mission Hills has three. In Shenzhen ( near Hong Kong) we built an 18 hole par three that highlights  greens through the ages. Most holes are under 140 yards , a couple long , bit I always just take  three clubs and hit from whatever tee works.

In Haikou ( Hainan Island ) we have two 18 hole par threes. One, Double Pin, has lots of turf and  has an easy and tough pin on fairly large greens. Most all holes are under 130 yards or so . Some of the "tough" pins are brutal.......even at  a short yardage, anything around par is quite an accomplishment. The easier pins and open fronts of greens are set up to encourage new players, kids , etc.  There is also a large double ended practice area attached.

The second, Stepping Stone (being on lava rock, many of the courses have a "rock " theme name......) is also 18 holes of par threes. Again, most every hole is under 150 yards.. This course is much more of  a target experience with lava fields cutting in and out and wonderful paths  through the stone and surrounds. This is also no pushover.....good players will find plenty to challenge them and any of the holes could easily fit into the rotation of Blackstone or Lava Fields, the two main venues.

I will get you plans , photos etc. I think Ryan posted photos once before.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 09:06:23 PM »
Thanks all for the kind posts.

Mike N. — It is for your 45th birthday. I am laminating the list because a little bird told me you needed more wall decor. Really, it is a list to help a development group understand the value and that dollars are being spent, even in this economy, on more fun, enjoyable golf venues...not always 18-holes, par-72, etc.  As for the USGA threshold, that seems an issue to some people. I have argued it before, to no avail.

Brian — Thanks. We did look at the Zhang Course. Looks really neat and interesting. Obviously Patrick had nothing to do with it.   ;)
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 09:22:18 PM »
Golden Gate Park's course.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 10:24:54 PM »
The Colorado GC Short Course is super dooper. Check it.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,45694.0.html
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 10:35:45 PM »
Goden Gate's par-3 is a great story, too. At last check, there was 1.5 full time employees on the maintenance crew. And, in only a fashion that the City of SF could possibly muster and define: 1/3 "Plumber" to address irrigation issues.

I corresponded with Bill Coore on Colorado and am looking forward to getting some info besides what little material is available on line.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Bart Bradley

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 11:20:50 AM »
The Mountain Springs at Grandfather is a pretty cool design with lots of funs shots.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,45569.0/

Bart

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2012, 04:12:52 PM »
The par 3 courses on the Alabama RTJ Golf Trail are pretty good. 

Tom Walsh

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2012, 05:04:10 PM »
I've played two pretty good ones-
Tower Tee Par 3 (18 holes) in St. Louis

La Fortune Park (18 holes) in Tulsa
"vado pro vexillum!"

Bob_Garvelink

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 12:30:06 AM »
Treetops in Gaylord MI is awesome. I would guess it averages out around 130 yds per hole
"Pure Michigan"

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2012, 02:38:55 AM »
The par 3 courses on the Alabama RTJ Golf Trail are pretty good. 

I think those average about 180 per hole!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back