News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bart Bradley

Installment #3.…

Grandfather Mountain Springs Course

Attributed to: Ellis Maples 1969

3225 yds, Par 59

What makes it good:  

Designed as an executive course to add variety and fun to the Grandfather community, the Mountain Springs Course has been benignly neglected since its design.  The original Ellis Maples’ bunker designs still exist with large scale, some amazing flash, and interesting shapes (all of which may give a road map for future renovations on the more famous, full-length “Grandfather course”). There a numerous fun and challenging shots.  Natural features and bold land forms are used to make interesting holes.  I will highlight my favorites below:

The 270 yd par 4 2nd hole -- Note the bold bunker cut into the hillside on the right.  Unfortunately, the trees are now growing over the bunker, highlighting the need for tree trimming:

Uphill 140 yd par 3 6th hole.  Note the very boldly contoured large front right bunker:

8th hole, par 3 120 yds:

The par 3, 155 yard par 3 10th hole.  Check out the impressive flash of the bunker on the left:

The 275 yd driveable par 4 11th playing substantially downhill.  This is such a fun such to play with your ball sailing down the mountain toward the green.  There is a house in the trees to the right of the green and the owner begs you to save your slices for another hole  8)!!  The most beautiful view on the mountain springs course:

From behind the 11th green:

The very fun kick-plate short right of the green…hit the slope and the ball will shoot toward the opening to the green:

My favorite design on the course, the 285 yd par 4 12th hole…carry the bunker on the right and the hill will give a turbo kick toward the green:

The bunker-less dropshot 145 yd par 3 15th:

What makes it unique?

The 90 yd par 3 7th hole plays over a natural boulder field and mountain stream to a tiny perfectly situated green.  I have never seen a hole quite like it:

Tee Shot:

Green Site:

A boulder and the mountain stream short and left of the green:

A view back toward the tee:

What makes it NOT so good?

The Mountain Springs course plays over the more severe property of the community making walking nearly impossible.  Massive tree trimming is absolutely a must.  The greens appear to have lost some square footage.  The course plays extremely soft and is in need of additional drainage.  The greens, although having some interesting broad slopes, are a bit slow to highlight the architecture.

Why is this course important?

The bunkering on the Mountain Springs are un-renovated Ellis Maples Bunkers.  These bunkers can and should be used for inspiration for renovation of the bunkers on the Grandfather course.  Although pictures cannot do justice to the variety, scale and “life” of these bunkers, here is a photo of my favorite…short right of 6 green:

My most recent visit:  August 2010

My overall rating:  4.5

Rating Trend:  NEUTRAL -- it has the potential to be a truly outstanding short course with some tree-trimming, drainage, and TLC.  Even in its current condition it is a premier “executive” length course.

Previous reviews:

Installment 1 -- Fontainbleau  -- France:  http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,45366.0/

Installment 2-- Whistling Straits -- Haven, WI :  http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,45417.0/
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 08:51:31 AM by Bart Bradley »

Ed Oden

Bart, thanks for the photos.  I can't believe I haven't played the Mountain Springs course yet.  It looks far more impressive than I was expecting.  Some really cool angles and features.  How much play does it get?  Seems like a fantastic playground for young golfers.  How much ground could be regained with tree removal?

Chris Buie

It is difficult to beat this course for a purely pleasurable golfing experience.  As gorgeous as it looks here, it is even more so in person.

Bart Bradley

Bart, thanks for the photos.  I can't believe I haven't played the Mountain Springs course yet.  It looks far more impressive than I was expecting.  Some really cool angles and features.  How much play does it get?  Seems like a fantastic playground for young golfers.  How much ground could be regained with tree removal?

Ed:

I bet you could play if you knew a member  ;D.

The course gets far too little play.  It is a real gem and a treat to play.  The course is wonderful for juniors but has interest and demands for the strong golfer.  The course has had little to no tree trimming since its design and a substantial amount of ground could be reclaimed.

Bart
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 08:47:45 AM by Bart Bradley »

Emil Weber

Cheers thank you very much. That 8th hole has a strange look to it, but it looks like good fun!

Bart Bradley

Cheers thank you very much. That 8th hole has a strange look to it, but it looks like good fun!

Emil:

Yes, it is fun to play...which is certainly the strength of this little course.

Does anyone have any other candidates for the best "executive course" ? 

Bart

Mike Hendren

Bart, I had no idea that this course existed.  Thank you.

This might be odd but I found the photographs soothing on this hot summer day in the South.  I can almost feel the fresh, crisp mountain air. 

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Chris Buie

By request, I've been asked to name my favorite hole(s).
The 7th!
As I said before, as gorgeous as the Good Doctor's photos are, it is profoundly gorgeous in person.  I also said it was hard to beat for pure golfing pleasure.  Actually, I would go so far as to say that it goes a step or two beyond that into something more like a spiritual experience.  You are farther up on the mountain on the executive course than the main one.  The mountain itself is considerably elevating as far as your spirits.  The club is impeccable.  The membership, remarkable.  And when you get out on that dramatic little course it is something else again.  
As you can see from the photos the holes are isolated from everything.  With the 90 yard 7th you're getting to something more like a cathedral or a Zen garden in Japan than an American golf course.  It is exquisitely solitary with a stillness that is palpable - except for the stream, of course.  
Yes, the course could use some modifications.  But it is still a very exceptional place by any standard.
(Told you I couldn't write about the course without the waxing poetics Dr. B!)

« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 01:22:21 PM by Chris Buie »

Michael Huber

On how many holes is the driver taken out of the players hand due to width issues?

This reminds me of a place called Mt. Hope golf course along I-70 in Maryland.  I played there a few years back on the way home from a job interview in Washington DC.  I believe par was somewhere in the low 60s, and it was a lot of fun to play.  It shared a lot of characteristics with Mountain Springs....severe terrain, interesting bunkering, and severe, but slower greens.   I really enjoyed the greens there, even if they were slow.

Bart Bradley

Michael:

There are only 5 par 4s...I can reach the downhill 11th with my 3 wood.  3 of the other par 4s are all driveable with a perfect shot and you can hit driver if you wish...but you'd better hit it straight, otherwise you are likely to be re-teeing.  The course is perfect for match play or for fun scramble events...drivers galore in events like those.  If playing for a score, I lay up on 3 of the 5 par 4s because of the likelihood of a lost ball.

Thanks for the input. 

Bart

Bart Bradley

I just realized that I had one more hole and bunker that I wanted to show.  Perhaps we have all discussed Dustin Johnson's sad situation enough  ???

285 yard uphill par 4 5th hole...check out the bunker behind the green which incorporates the large boulder...the bunker is at least 15 yards behind the back of the green.

Bart

Andy Troeger

Meant to comment on this one the first time around. Aside from being a bit narrow, I think the course looks like a blast. That little par three looks like an especially fun shot. It would be fun to take a try at the longer holes, but definitely most are layups if one is really playing for score and doesn't drive it like Fred Funk!

Bart Bradley

Bart, I had no idea that this course existed.  Thank you.

This might be odd but I found the photographs soothing on this hot summer day in the South.  I can almost feel the fresh, crisp mountain air. 

Mike

Mike,

This quote now seems oddly ironic.  Now that I am back in the heat of the lowlands, I am missing that cool air too.  Thanks for taking the time to experience the climate in person.   ;D.

Another one just for Mike:

Bart

Mike Hendren

Bart, thanks for posting the photo.  I really liked that bunker tandem. 

Though I rarely use the term, I couldn't help but repeatedly describe both courses at Grandfather Mountian as "tonic" - defined aptly on dictionary.com as that which is "invigorating physically, mentally and morally."

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Andy Hodson

One of the great shots in all of golf is the tee shot on #11 Mt. Springs in the fall when the mountain backdrop is in full splendor of reds and yellows and oranges and purples.

Launch that tee shot and watch your ball fall to earth against that backdrop is awesome.

Haven't played Mt. Springs since 1990. Wonder what its like with technology now?

Kalen Braley

Really love the look of the hole.  Seems to be channeling a bit of Pine Valley here with the big drop off if you miss the green and brutal recovery..

Bart Bradley

One of the great shots in all of golf is the tee shot on #11 Mt. Springs in the fall when the mountain backdrop is in full splendor of reds and yellows and oranges and purples.

Launch that tee shot and watch your ball fall to earth against that backdrop is awesome.

Haven't played Mt. Springs since 1990. Wonder what its like with technology now?

Andy:

I''m glad you like #11...often called the Bradley hole:  my house is just to the right of the 11th green.   ;D

Kalen:

That hole plays about 85 yards.  If you miss the green, you deserve brutal.   ;D

Bart

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back