News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil McDade

Re: LEE WESTWOOD!!!
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2012, 10:30:33 AM »
George:

Miller had three ties for 2nd at the Masters, notably 1975, when he was standing on the tee at 16 in the final round when Nicklaus rolled in his 30-footer to grab the lead and eventual win. Not a bad record, among his peers (one other top-10 finish).

George Pazin

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2012, 10:56:24 AM »
In the words of Ricky Bobby, if you ain't first you're last. :)

Thanks, Phil, that's a solid record for sure, in spite of what Ricky Bobby had to say.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tim Pitner

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2012, 10:57:47 AM »
Tim, that comment about TOC is funny, especially so for me, because my first and maybe still strongest memory of TOC on TV was watching Lee putt one stone dead from at least 50 yards off the green on one of the earlier holes (maybe 5 or 6). It's curious that he's not a big fan, yet can still get it right. Maybe these guys really are good...

George,

I think Westwood has since come around on TOC.  That might be due to wisdom gained from experience and it might also have something to do with him winning the Dunhill Links event played at TOC, Carnoustie and Kingsbarns.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2012, 11:02:09 AM »
In the words of Ricky Bobby, if you ain't first you're last. :)

Thanks, Phil, that's a solid record for sure, in spite of what Ricky Bobby had to say.

I am amazed how fit he looks. A total transformation.

"Sweet little baby Jesus"- Ricky Bobby's wife

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2012, 12:50:45 PM »
I'm not sure where Lee learned the game, but I know he played a lot of his golf at Lindrick, which is pretty classic heath.

Adam,

he learned his golf at Worksop which although it is not as good as Lindrick is a solid course. I suspect the Lindrick connection has more to do with Peter Cowen been based there.

Jon

Steve Strasheim

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2012, 01:03:02 PM »
Sure is cool to see all those red 5's across the top of the leaderboard now that he's made par on the first 10 holes.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2012, 01:21:24 PM »
Couples, three under for the day, made only two pars on the front. 
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Stephen Davis

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »
I really like Westwood and would love to see him win. I does seem like it is about time. A Couples win would be an incredible story. He is one of my favorites of all time.

James Boon

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2012, 03:12:55 AM »
I'm not sure where Lee learned the game, but I know he played a lot of his golf at Lindrick, which is pretty classic heath.

Adam,

he learned his golf at Worksop which although it is not as good as Lindrick is a solid course. I suspect the Lindrick connection has more to do with Peter Cowen been based there.

Jon

Gents,

Lee did indeed learn the game growing up at Worksop GC. Its a heathland 'esque course that by all accounts isn't quite up to its neighbours such as Lindrick, Notts and Sherwood Forest from either a course or a heathland perspective, but is never the less still a very good course and well thought of. I have though never been there myself but hope to in June so I'll post a tour then.

Lee is now attached at Lindrick.

I'm pretty certain I'll be the GCAer living closest to Lee, so I'm also naturally a massive fan. I think Lee has the game to win anywhere, but if his approach play is off a little he may struggle. His short games isn't the best but it's still pretty good! Fingers crossed for this week!

I seem to recall when growing up, that's Notts and Midlands golf was dominated by Lee and a group of other guys from Worksop.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2012, 03:51:28 AM »
James,

I think you'll find Lee is officially attached to Close House (look on his cap).

Is he connected with Linkdrick in some unofficial way? I'm not sure you can be attached to two clubs at the same time... but could be wrong.

scott
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 07:37:57 AM by Scott Macpherson »

Tom Kelly

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2012, 06:25:28 AM »
James,

I think you'll find Lee is officially attached to Close House (look on his cap).

Is he is connected with Linkdrick in some unofficial way? I'm not sure you can be attached to two clubs at the same time... but could be wrong.

scott

He is still a member at both Lindrick and Worksop, as advertised on Lindrick's website;

http://www.lindrickgolfclub.co.uk/lindrick/

Where as the Close house link is more of a sponsorship deal is it not?

He parents still live just around the corner from Worksop and I believe he still lives close by most of the time, or at least owns a house close by. The week after he reached world no.1 there were stories of him being seen doing the weekly shopping in the local supermarket just like any other normal guy, which I thought was quite nice. I can't see Woods or McIlroy going down to the supermarket to do the weekly shop!

James,

The other guys at Worksop who dominated English club golf, not just Notts (they won the English club championship a few years running if I remember rightly, have a look at the winners boards in the clubhouse when you go, they are quite impressive.) along with Lee were Mark Foster and Denny Lucas I believe and maybe Pete Wheatcroft who was a little younger than them, not sure whether he was around at the time or just a little later, all hugely talented guys. The locals always said Mark Foster was the better player, but he has struggled with injuries throughout his career. I not sure what happened to Denny or Pete, but I remember them both being fantastic golfers and the guys I looked up to in Notts golf when I was a little kid!

And not to be out done, Coxmoor down the road had Greg Owen and Oliver Wilson among others as you know and there always seemed to be immensely talented guys coming from Notts and Sherwood Forest as well but none of them seemed to break through to the Professional ranks for one reason or another. The one I remember most was Michael Nester who could have gone on to great things if he had a few more cells between the ears.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2012, 02:53:23 PM »
I played with Freddy at Shoreacres a few months after he won the Masters. He told me that his life had changed in a big way but said he was trying to slow the process down. He's a nice man and has had a great career, but somehow I have the feeling that a Couples win would be more memorable and in it's own way more transforming than anybody else on that leaderboard.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

James Boon

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2012, 05:14:03 PM »
Scott,

After seeing Close House just before it opened I was indeed aware that Westwood was attached there and very impressed by this. As Thomas says, he is a member at Lindrick, which is what I meant when i said he was attached there, sorry.

Thomas,

Thanks for the extra info on the Notts lads! Are you still around Nottingham? If so, lets meet up for a game some time soon.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Terry Lavin

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2012, 05:30:19 PM »
There's a little chance left for Lee. Roll in the eagle putt and all bets are off!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark Pearce

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2012, 05:44:06 PM »
If only he could really putt.  97 putts for the first three rounds and he's left so many chances out there today again.....
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Phil McDade

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2012, 10:04:36 PM »
Set a new standard, sadly, today -- most number of top-3 finishes in a major (7) without a win.

I still think he'll get one.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2012, 10:43:43 PM »
Set a new standard, sadly, today -- most number of top-3 finishes in a major (7) without a win.

I still think he'll get one.

Phil

I wasn't aware of that - 2 R/Ups and 5 Thirds - I too think he'll get at least one....soon.

With Mickelson's 5th Third place finish at the Masters that gives him 14 R/Up and Third place finishes - only behind Snead (15) and Nicklaus (28) for volume of that type.

Sean_A

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2012, 05:54:44 AM »
I heard a guy on tv say Lee had 21 more putts over the first three rounds than did Phil.  Is that correct?  It seems an unbelievable stat. 

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Rich Goodale

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2012, 06:51:04 AM »
Not really unbelievable, Sean, IMHO.  Given the nature of the Augusta greens, and the pin positions (which are rarely in the middle of any green), hitting the ball on the green is far less important than hitting it near and/or at the right place for approaching the pin.  Often this position is in the fringe or somewhere leaving a makeable "chip" and/or easy one putt.  Westwood hits a lot of greens onto places where he really shouldn't be.  Add to that the fact that he is a very poor (by tour standards) putter and you get the stats that you mention.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Sean_A

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2012, 10:20:50 AM »
Rihc

Looking at the stats, the only guy among the leaders with a similar GIR percentage was Kuchar at 81% (same as Lee).  I see both their putting averages are above the other leaders who didn't fare nearly as well with GIR.  Westwood has a bad rep for putting, but Kuchar has a good rep.  Kuchar took five less putts than Westwood.  On the surface this would seem to suggest Westwood's putter cost him dearly.  I didn't see much of the first two days of play, but on the weekend I didn't see Westwood out of position on the greens very often.  So this would also seem to suggest that Westwood had opportunities, but didn't take a advantage.  That said, he had 20 birdies (as good as any of the leaders) so he must have made some putts.  I don't really know how many 3 putts the guy had.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2012, 11:09:06 AM »
Cleraly as a ball striker he is second to NONE, but he is so mecahnical on the greens.
His putting shows very little attention to feel and as such he will tend to be streaky.
I know he  worked with the Stocktons, but their relaxed more feel oriented 'method' was not something he could incorporate into his game.
Perhaps it is time for a rethink on that?
His talent level as a ball striker is just phenomenal, a few of my friends who are tour players all say that his ball striking is the best out there day in day out, but we all have our achles heal, at the moment Lee's is lack of putting touch.
Lee go back to see the Stocktons, clear your mind and start seeing the putts more!!!

Paul_Turner

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2012, 11:15:01 AM »
Westwood's Putting stats are interesting and perhaps somewhat incomplete because he splits his time between two tours.  Perhaps he doesn't play enough tournaments in the US (10-15 usually) to get rid of the "noise".

The US tour uses a better stat method called "strokes gained putting" whereas the Euro tour uses the old method "putt per GIR"

Year  EuroRank  US Rank
2012  23           138
2011  27           133
2010  4             20
2009  10           119
2008  15           151
2007  45           196
2006  41           35
2005  2             160

From the Euro tour stats he looks like a better than average putter.  

But the US statistical method is better, an here he is typically worse than average.

I'm surprised that there is virtually no correlation between the two sets of stats!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 11:17:31 AM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Bill_McBride

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2012, 11:17:09 AM »
I played with Freddy at Shoreacres a few months after he won the Masters. He told me that his life had changed in a big way but said he was trying to slow the process down. He's a nice man and has had a great career, but somehow I have the feeling that a Couples win would be more memorable and in it's own way more transforming than anybody else on that leaderboard.

Freddy is such a cool, laid back guy.  He was/is a member of the Valley Club in Santa Barbara.  On visits out there I would see him playing with the members, happy in shorts and pushing his speed cart!

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2012, 02:24:43 PM »

Freddy is such a cool, laid back guy.  He was/is a member of the Valley Club in Santa Barbara.  On visits out there I would see him playing with the members, happy in shorts and pushing his speed cart!

Bill,

You should add that he broke John Pates long standing course record of 61 with a 59.

Bob

Bill_McBride

« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2012, 05:11:05 PM »

Bill,

You should add that he broke John Pates long standing course record of 61 with a 59.

Bob

Hadn't heard that, great stuff.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back