News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Saltzman

Another exceptional DJR design that is little-known (though it is creeping up GW's classic list, now at 63).

Take a look at the aerials below to see just how much the course has changed as a result of the very recent Prichard restoration.

Just what I expect from Ross.  Simple, strategic bunkering (with some forced perspective architecture to boot).  Greens are quite varied, from tilted to tiered to greens with hollows to extreme.  Phenomenal set of greens.

Par-4s are the strength of the golf course, with the stretch of holes from 4-6 being exceptional.

Scorecard

2005 Routing

2011 Routing

Hole 1: Par 4, 365 Yards

Lots of width for those willing to lay back off the tee.  Golfers that want less than 130 yards into the green must challenge the penal [and deep] bunkering guarding each side of the fairway.

There is little room to run the ball onto the 1st green.  Guarded on two-sides by deep bunkers and on the other two-sides by steep run-offs, the approach at the 1st calls for the utmost in precision.

The 1st green is one of the most internally contoured.  Two large ridges and run-offs short and right require the golfer to find the correct portion of the green or face a difficult putt/chip.

First green as seen from the 4th fairway (back-left)

Hole 2: Par 4, 387 Yards

A tee view I am more used to seeing from Maxwell than Ross, there is little in the way of visual suggestions for the ideal line.  Only the bunker on the left gives any clue, but in truth, anything in the fairway short of the [blind from the tee] centreline bunker works just fine.

For most, the tee shot is a lay-up to the top of the hill.  The bunkers are 250 yards to reach, and some big number to carry.

A second push-up green in two holes, and another difficult-to-find target.  Guarded right by one of the deepest bunkers on the course, and left by a run-off that will send a missed shot many yards from the putting surface, there is no bail-out here.  

A view of the run-off left.  The green is separated front from back by a ridge running across its centre.

Hole 3: Par 3, 185 Yards

A new back tee has added some 20 yards to this template Ross par-3.  Ross is known for using cross-bunkers on his par-3 to create visual deception/confusion and this is another example, though not the best of this type I have seen.

A third push-up green in a row, guarded by unforgiving bunkers.  Though the first three holes are not long, they have almost no bailout.  Missed shots will be penalized.

The green is deep and narrow.  Slopes running along the leftmost and rightmost portions of the green will kick balls landing near the perimeter of the green offline and into the deep bunkering -- effectively shrinking the green further.  A very difficult to access back-left portion of the green can be used for Sunday pin placements.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:35:53 AM by Mark Saltzman »

Tim Gavrich

I think I feel the same way about Donald Ross' courses as I feel about Italian food.  The worst Italian food is generally still pretty okay, and the best is heaven.  Those shots of the first hole are awesome.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Bruce Wellmon

CCC is as good as it gets.
I believe it has hosted the US Am, Senior Am, and Women's Amateur.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 01:28:23 PM by Bruce Wellmon »

Mark Saltzman

Hole 4: Par 4, 490 Yards [pictures from 440 yard tee]

An absolutely stellar par-4.  This hole is a beast, with the approach playing uphill, and with the rolling fairway sloping back toward the tee in the driving zone.  Ross challenges the golfer to play as near the left fairway bunker as possible as the farther right the tee shot, the more difficult the angle of approach.

An uphill approach that allows balls to be run onto the green if played from the left side of the fairway.  From the right the approach must carry the deep green side bunker.

An excellent rolling green.  Akin to the wonderful 8th green at Old Town Club with its 'Maxwell Rolls,' this is a green one would not quickly tire of.  Very bold to design such a wildly contoured green on an already difficult hole.

Hole 5: Par 4, 375 Yards

Modern golf's longer hitter has the ability to carry all of the fairway bunkers and leave just a pitch into this green, but the fairway narrows as the tee ball lengthens.  For most, the choice will be whether to play away from the plethora of intimidating fairway bunkers, or to challenge them.  The more one plays to the right, the more difficult angle of approach [though one can use the natural contouring of the fairway to kick the ball to the left].

After an ideal lay-up tee shot down the left, the golfer is challenged with a very difficult uphill [again!] approach to a green guarded on two sides by very deep bunkers and short by a massive false-front.  There is a back board that can be used but that is not obvious from the fairway. 

The view after an ideal aggressive tee shot [from 70 yards out]

Another wonderful green, this one segmented by a ridge that splits it front and back, and a spine that splits the back portion into left and right quadrants.  Another green where just hitting the green does not mean par is a given.  Not pictured is the backboard over the green.

Hole 6: Par 4, 420 Yards

Genius use of a restored creek (check the difference in the aerials) that runs diagonally across the fairway.  Lay back to the left to leave the ideal angle of approach, or play down the right and leave a shorter but more difficult approach?  The strategic merit of diagonal hazards is obvious here.

After an ideal tee shot down the left side the golfer is faced with [yet another] difficult to find green.  Perched on a plateau over ground that slopes to the right, anything that misses this green right is in big trouble.  Anything bailed-out left faces a very tricky and fast slope that runs with the contour of the land.  Missing short is not a good option with the very deep bunkers.  Long is an option, though again, this is not obvious from the fairway.

Greensite as seen from 7th tee:

Morgan Clawson

Mark,

I think the bunkering at CCC is exceptional.  I posted some bunker pics in this thread:

http://http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,46284.0.html
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 10:25:49 PM by Morgan Clawson »

Frank M

I am loving this tour so far...thanks for all them Mark

Dunlop_White

Great looking bunkers at Charlotte!

PCCraig

Really nice. Thanks for posting. Ron P. sure knows what he's doing on these old Ross courses.
H.P.S.

Peter Pallotta

Thank you, as always Mark.

This one has been especially pleasing to me.  A lovely course, an even better "home course" it seems to me.

Peter

John Shimp

Mark,
Great photos and comments.  Interested by your focus of 4-6 as a great stretch.  I agree but never realy thought about.  I like the finish best and think 18 is the best hole.

Thanks also for doing the Palmetto photos from the winter today.

Mark Saltzman

John, interested re 18.  It was one of the few holes on the course that did not overly impress me.  I hope you'll comment when we get there and show me what I missed!

John Shimp

Mark,
18 is a hole that requires a brave drive close to the right to have anything remotely short into the green.  Too far right is a big number and too safe is a much longer approach off an increasingly downhill and ball above your feet lie.  To me trying to hit a shot to an uphill green with a downhill ball above feet lie is as hard as it gets.  The exact same strike 25 yds left of the perfect line is at least 3 clubs more off a tougher lie. I love this in a last hole tee ball.  I also like that the wind almost always comes from the right pusing the tee ball left (safe but long approach) and causing an approach into the wind.

As far as the approach the green is a bit like 17 in that its almost 2 greens except that the left side is the deep side on 18.  The right side of the green is the Sunday pin and is shallow and requires a high soft shot.  That location is rEally a challenge.  Front left is exacting also but a lot shorter.  Back left is the easiest flag.  Its a big cool green that is hard to putt across. 

I find the hole a terrific challenge and think the down hill drive and approach with the clubhouse (and bar) behind are exhilirating. 

Mark, let me host you next time you are in Charlotte!

Derek Dirksen

Great photos.  Loving the greens there.

Mark Saltzman

Hole 7: Par 5, 565 Yards

I hope John can comment here.  I was a bit rushed playing this hole as a group allowed me to play through...

The tee shot is more open than it appears but is nonetheless one of the narrowest on the golf course (and once again most tee balls will land into an upslope).  The second shot is blind, much like the 4th at Old Town, with little indication of the ideal line.

The shortest line into the green is down the right, but from there the golfer must play-over another deep bunker, this one on a larger scale than many others on the golf course.

The farther left the lay-up, the more open the approach to yet another wonderful and difficult green.

Hole 8: Par 4, 495 Yards

A great and difficult hole (notice the theme?) that plays from an elevated tee to the fairway and then back uphill to the green.  The fairway contouring is dramatic, first rolling hard to the right and then hard to the left.  Good shots will kick toward the fairway's centre, but are unlikely to find an even lie.

The approach is played uphill to a green protected by four bunkers.  There are two bunkers that provide for visual intimidation/confusion 30 yards short-left and right of the green.  Beyond those bunkers are two menacing bunkers guarding the left and right edges of the green.

A closer look at the green side bunkering and green contours.  My [unfortunate] playing partner has found the left bunker, which is dead, playing to a green that slopes severely away.  Note the depth of the bunker and how near it is cut to the green's edge.

Not visible from the fairway is a collection area cut right of the green beyond the green side bunker.

Hole 9: Par 4, 377 Yards [with a tournament tee at about 475]

Bunkers scattered across the hole, including a top-shot bunker just short of the forward tee, gives a sense of intimidation of a hole with a wide fairway.

This picture gives an indication of the fairway width, which is not obvious from the tee.

And a look at the approach.  Again Ross has used penal bunkering left and right of the green to penalize the errant golfer.

A look at the 9th green from the right, with the contours highlighted:

A comfortable routing with returning nines.  The tenth tee is just steps from the edge of the 9th green.

hhuffines

Thanks for the great pics of a wonderful course!  18 is certainly a tough hole which requires a well struck drive but I'm not sure it would be my favorite hole.   I really like #4, #8, and especially #13 and #15....  Another plus is a great caddie program where their knowledge of the course is enhanced by their ability to play there.

I played there in February and kept wondering if it wasn't as good as Pinehurst #2.   

Where do you guys place CCC in North Carolina?  Thanks.

John Shimp

I agree w your comments on 7.  Hanging your second to the right is no good. Again ball above your feet downhill over a big bunker is really hard.  The trees on the right block some afternoon sun which keeps that side wetter too.  The big thing about 7 is the green. If the pin is up its one of the easiest holes out there. The back center of the green is the most difficult portion of any green out there to me.  Super exacting in every way.  Im happy w 5 when its bak but expect 6.  On the front im furious w 6.   You should play 7 aggressively w your first 2 shots always though.

Matt MacIver

Due to the severe contours and, oftentimes, speed, of the greens daily pin positions and knowing where to miss is key.  On several hole locations it's often better to miss the green but have an easy chip, vs. hitting it but having a really long, and slippery couple of putts.   

Mark Saltzman

Hole 10: Par 4, 416 Yards

Very interesting routing of the 10th hole.  The land all slopes toward the creek that runs across the 10th fairway.  The land on the tee shot slopes downhill and right-to-left and the approach is uphill and left-to-right ... a very interesting divergence.

The tee ball is best played down the left over the bunker, but from here the angle of approach is more difficult.  Many golfers will hit less  than driver and play as far to the right as possible.

Approach from left side of the fairway

Hidden from view from the fairway is a deep bunker guarding the right portion of the green.

Another excellent green and one that fits well with the concept of strategic design.  The green is very large, sloping back-to-front, with a shelf in the back-left corner of the green that is almost impossible to access without a properly-placed tee shot.

Hole 11: Par 3, 211 Yards

I have taken the following excerpt from Ran's review of CCC in the Courses by Country section.  Very interesting piece of history:

While other holes at Charlotte better capture Ross’s flair as an architect, this one is interesting in that it tracks Ross’s use of water as a hazard. According to an article written by Mr. C.T. Dunhan in 1913, ‘ A good healthy mashie shot will carry one over the intervening creeks and trouble and onto the eleventh green.’ At some point prior to 1932, the two creeks were made into today’s pond and the hole has played that way ever since. Presumably, Ross had role in this matter and perhaps the creeks were formed into a pond for practical reasons.  Ross was not a ‘do or die’ type architect (no skill can be displayed in recovering from water) and finding a fronting water hazard pressed tight to one of his greens is surprising. Given Robert Trent Jones’s involvement at Charlotte in the 1960s, it might seem likely that he either created the pond or shifted the green to water’s edge. Such is not the case.  Far more unusual in its time than now where water is ubiquitous as a hazard, the eleventh should be appreciated as a forbearer of what would come.

Hole 12: Par 5, 590 Yards

There is a fair bit of left-to-right slope to this fairway, and the bunker on the left gives a clue that tee shots up the right are not ideal.  Bunkers up the right are in play for longer hitters.

A single centreline bunker 150 yards from the green is wonderful.  Golfers that hit a solid tee shot will have no problem clearing this bunker on the second shot, but golfers who are out-of-position off the tee have a serious decision to make.

Approaching the green from the right is not ideal.  The putting surface is blind from this angle and the green slopes away.

The more left, the better the angle of approach.

Taken from near the 13th tee, one can see the obvious right-to-left cant of the 12th green.

Mark Saltzman

Hole 13: Par 4, 460 Yards

A new tee has been added some 60 yards behind the old back tee, allowing this already long hole to play a menacing 520 yards.  Playing downhill all the way from tee to green, the hole plays much shorter than the yardage indicates, but one of the narrower fairways on the course and overhanging trees on the left, make this a difficult tee shot.

The approach is played over Briar Creek to a very undulating green.  A unique series of mounds encircles the green making recoveries considerably more difficult.

Hole 14: Par 4, 355 Yards

Once again, Ran words his description in an eloquent manner beyond my capability...

The golfer has just played the course’s longest par three, par five, and par four in consecutive order and it is time to mix things up. After all, Ross never intended to brow beat or demoralize a golfer. Not a great hole in its own right, the fourteenth is nonetheless one that blends well within the context of the surrounding holes. The shortest par four on the course is seemingly one of the most inviting off the tee but looks can be deceiving. The right center of the fairway is clearly the prefered angle into second shallowest target on the course (the first green is the only green less deep). Here is what Ross had to say in 1930: “The 14th hole is the only one left that could be described as not up to the standard of the others. To improve it would require additional land for an extension on the green end, and I hope the land can be secured to make this change. With the 14th hole remodeled {accomplished during the 2007 restoration}, I am of the opinion that the course will stand out as one of the greatest courses to be found anywhere. It will have excellent golfing quality for all classes of players and unrivaled scenic beauty.”

Hole 15: Par 4, 435 Yards

With imposing trees and deep bunkers guarding both sides of the fairway, this tee shot demands precision.

View after an ideal tee shot down the right side of the fairway.

A duo of centreline bunkers keep the longer hitter in check...

One of the very best Ross greens I have ever seen, complete with false-front, ridge and swale.  Miss the pin 10 feet in the wrong direction and you can have an extremely difficult two-putt.

Mark Saltzman

Hole 16: Par 4, 408 Yards

The final leg of a quartet of par-4s is a strong one.  The 16th moves very hard to the right starting 220 yards from the tee.  Length alone will not suffice if one wants to leave a short approach, as the bunker guarding the inside of the dogleg and the overhanging limbs demand that a cut shot be played.  Many golfers will choose to hit less than driver off the tee, out to the left, leaving a longer approach from the fairway.

The approach is played to a green guarded by two deep bunkers on the right, and a deception bunker on its left.

Somewhat reminiscent of Ross' 'turtleback' greens at famed Pinehurst No. 2, the green here falls-off on all sides.  A difficult to find surface for a long par-4.

Hole 17: Par 3, 199 Yards

What a wonderful par-3 that meshes beautifully with the golf course, but as Ran notes, this is Prichard's hole, not Ross's!

This very uphill par-3 is extremely difficult, playing to a green that is split in two by a ridge and then a swale that separate it into front-left and back-right portions.  The bunker in its centre doe not just guard its front but runs 10 yards into the depth of the green, demanding precision and not just length.

Back Tee View

Middle Tee View

Green from Right

Green from Behind

Hole 18: Par 4, 430 Yards

Per John Shimp: 18 is a hole that requires a brave drive close to the right to have anything remotely short into the green.  Too far right is a big number and too safe is a much longer approach off an increasingly downhill and ball above your feet lie.  To me trying to hit a shot to an uphill green with a downhill ball above feet lie is as hard as it gets.  The exact same strike 25 yds left of the perfect line is at least 3 clubs more off a tougher lie. I love this in a last hole tee ball.  I also like that the wind almost always comes from the right pusing the tee ball left (safe but long approach) and causing an approach into the wind.

As far as the approach the green is a bit like 17 in that its almost 2 greens except that the left side is the deep side on 18.  The right side of the green is the Sunday pin and is shallow and requires a high soft shot.  That location is really a challenge.  Front left is exacting also but a lot shorter.  Back left is the easiest flag. 

Its a big cool green that is hard to putt across. 

I find the hole a terrific challenge and think the down hill drive and approach with the clubhouse (and bar) behind are exhilirating.

Jud_T

Mark,

Thanks for posting.  What other Prichard restorations have you played?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark Saltzman

This looks gorgeous Mark. Is it from this year? Also, are you based in Florida at the moment or Canada?

Brian, it was from a trip to NC in November.  We played Charlotte CC (Ross), Carolina GC (Ross), P2 (Ross), P8 (Fazio, I think), Dormie (C+C), Old Town (Maxwell) -- absolutely amazing golf... worthy of your presence!

Based in Toronto now.  Just getting warm enough to start playing again!

Mark Saltzman

Mark,

Thanks for posting.  What other Prichard restorations have you played?

Jud, I'm not sure  ::)

He doesn't seem to have a website.  Do you have a list of the courses he's worked on?

I am fairly sure he did Aronimink, so I know of at least one.

Joe Bausch

That was fun.  Thanks Mark.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jud_T

Mark,

Thanks for posting.  What other Prichard restorations have you played?

Jud, I'm not sure  ::)

He doesn't seem to have a website.  Do you have a list of the courses he's worked on?

I am fairly sure he did Aronimink, so I know of at least one.

Here's an old thread.  I know he did work at Skokie and Lake Shore in my area...

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?threadid=14056;start=0
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back