News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Makepeace

Good morning and hello
« on: March 22, 2012, 07:25:59 PM »
It is morning here in Sydney...

After a good couple of years of following this site, I have decided to take the plunge and participate actively. I do hope that I can contribute in a meaningful capacity and learn from some very knowledgable people.

A little about me;

I have never played Dismal River, and have no opinion on the foreclosure of Ballyneal. ;D

I am 32 years old, and an absolute golf nut. Once apon a time prior to marriage and responsibility, I played to low single figures however if recent form is any indication, those days are well behind me.

When bored at high school, I spent my time drawing golf holes. When driving my car to new destinations, I cant help but look at landscapes and imagine how a golf hole may work with the land. I turn the TV on each weekend to check out the golf course moreso than the competition (barring the back 9 on Sunday). Strange I know, but it is an illness.

I am currently a member of Eastlake Golf Club (Sydney), which is sandwiched between The Australian, The Lakes and Bonnie Doon. Eastlake is the only one of the four that is public access. The course has so much potential, which is the real reason I joined, but lacks the cash to really make the changes needed.

I look forward to making new friends and sharing ideas with like minded people. Thank you all for having me.

PCCraig

Re: Good morning and hello
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
Welcome Adam!
H.P.S.

Jim Tang

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 08:17:27 PM »
Adam -

Welcome.  When I was 22, way back in the mid 1990's, I spent 5 months in Sydney, teaching high school and finishing up my degree.  The Australian people were so wonderful and warm, and Sydney is my favorte city on the planet.

mike_beene

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 08:21:13 PM »
Adam,welcome.A lot of days I see the QANTAS 747 on final approach to Dallas. Even though it is the worlds longest 3 class flight,it sure gets tempting!

Adam Makepeace

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 08:28:06 PM »
Gentlemen, thank you.

Jim, 22 was 10 years ago for me, so although it was more recent - it still feel like a life time ago. I also completed a teaching degree - in Physical Education - however only lasted 2 years before moving on to more enjoyable things! Are you still teaching? Its a tough gig.

Mike, my wife and I are heading back to the states for a holiday in August - the flight is a tough one. We did NYC - LA - Sydney straight last year. Funny how the first flight of the holiday always seems shorter than the flight back home when the fun is over.

JESII

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 08:31:25 PM »
Adam,

Welcome aboard and if your US trip includes the Philly area keep me in mind.

Jim

Jim Tang

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 08:33:08 PM »
Adam -

Still teaching and coaching.  17th year.  Lots of grey hair.  That's mainly due to taking repeated golf trips with Colton rather than the teaching, though. ;D

Howard Riefs

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 08:34:35 PM »
Welcome, Adam!

I have never played Dismal River, and have no opinion on the foreclosure of Ballyneal. ;D

Believe it or not: You're in the majority.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Matthew Rose

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 08:39:05 PM »
Always good to have more Australians on board.... they're good people.

I even married one :)
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 09:01:36 PM »

Welcome. You've found a home.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 09:05:49 PM »
Adam, Welcome!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 09:09:19 PM »

That last guy can get you on Dismal River Adam.

Adam Makepeace

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 09:17:43 PM »
Adam,

Welcome aboard and if your US trip includes the Philly area keep me in mind.

Jim

Jim,

Thank you for the kind offer. This time around we are staying west - mostly California, Nevada and Mexico. 

Adam Makepeace

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 09:22:19 PM »
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

My productivity at work may be the biggest casulty of this new venture.

BHoover

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 09:37:08 PM »
Welcome to the site, Adam. It's good to see some fellow young guys joining the community (I'm 34). I also love Australia. Every time I see golf on TV from Australia, I beg my wife to let me take the trip to play golf...she hasn't allowed it...yet.

I've a,ways been curious about the difference between golf/country clubs in the US v. Australia. How difficult is it to become a member at a place like Royal Melbourne or Victoria GC?   My guess is that "prestige" is not as much of a concern in Australia as it is at American clubs...at least that's my assumption, and if true, I think that's a very good thing.

Scott Warren

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 09:39:32 PM »
Adam,

Welcome. You'll have to come across and check out the new work at Bonnie Doon when it opens.

I agree with you on Eastlake -- so much potential and some great land. Hole numbers always throw me there because of the recent shifting, but the par five before you cross the road, and then the run of 5, 3, 4, 5, 3 on the back nine are really good holes.

Do I recall you played a fair bit of JNJGF golf as a kid? I am sure I know your name from there. IIRC you were in a similar age-group as Glen Dick (who is now head pro at Bonnie Doon) and Adam Firmani, Brad MacIntosh and co. Am I remembering that correctly?

I was three age groups lower and never won -- or contested in -- jack!

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 09:46:27 PM »
It is always nice to have new faces...and opinions. Sydney is a terrific place. I look forward to visiting again one day.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Adam Makepeace

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 09:54:14 PM »
Brian,

Thank you.

Regarding 'prestige' clubs, it is difficult for me to comment - I have only ever been a member of public access courses here in Australia. I did live and work in the States for a couple of years, however never joined a club over there.

My understanding is that the top tier clubs still have their waiting lists, still have their nomination processes, and can still be quite expensive.

Scott,

Its funny (read: sad), whenever I pop down to the spare par 3 2nd hole to do some short game practice, I usually spend half of my time standing behind the range at BD checking out the developments. That practice facility looks incredible. I could spend hours there.

No, never been part of Jack's foundation. I was never that good, or even close to it. If you played a bit of cricket, my brothers and I played at a pretty decent level - it is more likely you know my name from those circles.

Scott Warren

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 10:09:24 PM »
Perhaps it is cricket then. Who did you and your brothers play with?

The new practice facility at BD is amazing. Add in the fact my wife and I have just bought a place 1km up the road (always lived 20mins or more away before) and I'm really excited for it to open.

Adam Makepeace

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 10:24:41 PM »
Congratulations on the purchase. We actually just sold up and moved to the North Shore - unfortunately my practice time has gone from once per week to never.

I represented NSW as a Junior, however my younger brother is the talented one. His NSW u'19 team comprised of David Warner, Usman Khawaja, Peter Forrest, Moses Henriques et al. No suprise they won the national champs. I spent some time with Northern Districts (talking over a decade ago). My brother has spent time with Balmain and Gordon.

BHoover

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 10:26:14 PM »
Brian,

Thank you.

Regarding 'prestige' clubs, it is difficult for me to comment - I have only ever been a member of public access courses here in Australia. I did live and work in the States for a couple of years, however never joined a club over there.

My understanding is that the top tier clubs still have their waiting lists, still have their nomination processes, and can still be quite expensive.

Adam,

Have you had the opportunity to play RM, Victoria, or the other Melbourne courses? When I'm watching in November from my living room in Ohio, the courses in Melbourne, Sydney, etc. always look awesome. Makes me wish my own course could be built on pure sand.

Adam Makepeace

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 10:40:49 PM »
Brian,

I have only visited Melbourne twice - once for a bucks (bachelor) weekend, in which no golf was played. The other time, I squeezed in a game at Metropolitan.

With the benefit of hindsight RM would have been the best option however it was not long after the World Matchplay event held at Metro, and I was a poor university student that appreciated the lower cost option.

It was my first exposure to a top tier course - and it beat me up. I would love to head back down there, but need to make sure I bring my A game.

BHoover

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 10:43:13 PM »
Living in Sydney probably isn't a bad thing. If I could pick any one place in the world that I'd like to live, it would probably be Sydney.

Adam Makepeace

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 11:09:01 PM »
You are right Brian. It is a beautiful city, usually with excellent weather. This summer has been non-existant however.

A summer's day spent on the harbour with good friends, a few drinks and fresh seafood is about as good as it gets.

There is a handful of good golf courses, and a couple of excellent ones, however our southern rivals certainly have that advantage in the golf stakes.

I understand your situation well - there is no way on earth my lovely wife would let me travel overseas for golf. The only solution is to travel together, and hope that there is excellent shopping close enough to keep her busy!

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 02:35:59 AM »
Welcome Adam!
If you ever down near the Bellarine Peninsula, give me a yell, we can have a hit.

Enjoy, without doubt, your work will suffer...
@theflatsticker

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back