News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Primer on the Search Engine
« on: October 19, 2011, 09:28:17 AM »
I don't know about other folks, but I find the search engine for this site incredibly frustrating.  I often skip the SE and just use Google- it works far better.  However, once the thread is found, I cannot log on to the site and KEEP the thread I found.  So, naturally I punch in the name of the thread into the GCA.com SE.  What happens - the thread isn't found FFS!!!!  So naturally, one can't respond.  Working on the principle of attacking one problem at a time, how does one log in to a thread he found - using any SE?  Looking long term, is there a primer out there for using the GCA.com SE?  It seems a truly dark art to me.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Kalen Braley

Re: Primer on the Search Engine
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 10:31:05 AM »
Sean,

If you copy the link of the old thread you found in a new tab in your brower, you should already be logged in.

For example, right now I have one browser window open (IE) and I've got three tabs open to Golf Club Atlas.com and I'm logged in all 3 tabs.

I hope this helps,

Kalen

P.S.  Sean I just tried this again and saw what you're talking about.....sometimes this doesn't work when you paste the link into the address bar as you get logged out from GCA.com in that tab.  Odd behavoir to say the least.  I'll try this again on Firefox and see if the results are any different.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 10:41:44 AM by Kalen Braley »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 12:25:32 PM »
Sean,

Just as a follow-up, I can't get this to work in Firefox at all...so perhaps thats what you are using?  Try IE and see if you can paste it into a new tab.  At least in IE it seems to work at least some of the time.

This seems to be a bug in the code for the website.

Kalen

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 03:31:35 PM »
Don't logout of GCA.com ever?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 03:45:45 PM »
Ok Sean,

After a little trial and error, I've figured out how to make it work every time.

1)  Open a new google window and do your search.  For example, [Cypress site:golfclubatlas.com]

2)  When you get the page of search results, don't click on the hyperlink, but rather look at the actual address just below the hyperlink.

3)  It should look something like this:  golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=27078.10  Copy this portion of the address (P.S.  Don't copy the last bit that says "wap2".  It'll put the text into an undesired format.)

4)  Paste that copied link into your browser, but don't hit go yet.  Add "www." to the front of the link, and then hit go. (Some of the addresses will already have this, so do nothing for those results)

5)  If you already have another open tab in your browser that is signed into GCA.com, then those 4 steps should result in a new tab, with the desired search result, and you remain logged in and can reply to threads or otherwise.

P.S.  I got this to work every time in Firefox, I'm guessing it'll be the same for IE.

Hope this helps,

Kalen

George Pazin

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 03:54:42 PM »
The search engine on this site works ok, you just have to think a little and put some effort in - you have to eaaaaaaaaaaaarn it (think John Houston).

Click on the little magnifying glass for an advanced search. Then put in your topic. Here's where you have to think:

Put in a member that you think may have posted on this. Guess, it rarely hurts... Some hints: if you're thinking best new whatever (not within the last 6 months), put in Matt Ward. If you're thinking historical info, try David Moriarty or Tom MacWood. If you are thinking of awesome underappreciated UK courses, try Paul Turner - or Sean Arble...

Then try to guess a time frame. Again, you don't have to be exact, just try to eliminate times that you know don't apply. If it's about Ballyneal, just go back from present to 1000-2000 days back. If it's about Ran's trip to Garden City, start with maybe 2000 days back and go back to the beginning (5000 days or whatever, doesn't matter if it's too many).

And if you find the Garden City stuff, please let me know...

Good luck and happy hunting.

As a last resort, ask one of the geeks for help. Garland finds stuff for me all the time... :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

DMoriarty

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 04:49:58 PM »
I've never had any problem with the search function, but there are a couple of apparent quirks.  

For example, if one is already in a thread, then the search function only searches within that thread.  SO START ALL YOUR SEARCHES FROM THE DISCUSSION GROUP HOMEPAGE.

For another example, the search function seems to only pull up one result per thread.   So it can be a two step process, depending upon for what one is searching.

Also, the "Advanced Search" page helps narrow things down (but doesn't overcome the quirks just mentioned.)  This link should take you there . . . .

Advanced Search

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 04:54:15 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

DMoriarty

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 04:52:39 PM »
Whoops.  Didn't see George's post.   Who knew you could click on the little magnifying glass to bring up Advanced Search?   Simpler than what I was doing. 
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Mike Benham

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 05:15:25 PM »

golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=27078.10  

Once you have identified the topic you want to go to, you can open any topic on GCA and replace that topic # with the one you have found.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49956.0.html

Change out the 49956.0 with the 27078.0, hit enter and you are in ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 05:41:46 PM »

golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=27078.10  

Once you have identified the topic you want to go to, you can open any topic on GCA and replace that topic # with the one you have found.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49956.0.html

Change out the 49956.0 with the 27078.0, hit enter and you are in ...

Yup,

You can do that too.  Thanks Mike!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 05:44:24 PM »

Am I having a groundhog day?

Melvyn

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back