News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

Seawane C.C. in the Five Towns area *PIX ADDED*
« on: September 01, 2011, 08:50:05 PM »
http://jayflemma.thegolfspace.com/?p=3847

Had a chance to play it with Stephen Kay.  Its a really good routing with a lot of interesting holes.  Someone on here blamed Stephen for some bad bunkering, but as the article says, it wasn't Stephen's fault...he had to make a lot of compromises with other people on the team.  I agree that in two places the bunkers need to be redone - 9 and 11.  But once they do that and thin the rough, the have a great Devereux Emmet golf course with terrific greens.

There's some pix in the article too.  I'll post more later.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:46:39 AM by Jay Flemma »
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Seawane C.C. in the Five Towns area
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 08:52:44 PM »
Jay,

What were the compromises and with whom did he have to make them ?

I like Seawane, but, I think the Fescue is overdone and contributes to long rounds.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 09:03:18 PM »
It's in the article Paul...it's a long Othello...I agree with you on the rough, but so do they and they are thinning it out.

Short story, he had a green chair that ascended to he presidency that heard about Sand Hills and saw Whistling Straits.  He also had a good super in Brian Benedict.  Finally, the shaper Ken Wagel worked on it too.  They stuck to his master plan the first year or two, but after that the four of them were about 25% each.  With the exception of two bunkers that are dreadful - see the pix in the article, OMG! - and the rough, they got a lot right, including getting rid of 3,000 trees.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 09:06:59 PM »
Jay,

It's really a neat, fun golf course, especially with all of the canals and the ever present WIND.

Thin the Fescue out and it'll be even more fun.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 09:13:27 PM »
I agree.

Robert Emmons

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 08:01:10 PM »
Jay,  I don't think there is much of Dev Emmet left after the renovation...RHE

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 09:54:42 PM »
Robert,

I liked it prior to the recent work, it had a unique flavor.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 05:00:03 PM »
There's some.  The green contours are excellent. And the routing is strong.  The bunkering is the main difference and the rough/mounding.  It's still good.  Not "truly great" but good and fun.

Robert Emmons

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 09:16:10 AM »
I liked the old and I like the new, but they are very differant. The new is more like a Irish Links...RHE

Jay Flemma

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 01:58:52 PM »
I'd say that's fair Robert...but I still hate the bunker on 11...worst looking thing I've ever seen.

Here's some pix:

The bunker on 9

The bunker on 11

The excellent 8th

The short par-4 4th

« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:47:39 AM by Jay Flemma »

Robert Emmons

Re: Seawane C.C. in the Five Towns area *PIX ADDED*
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 05:00:13 PM »
Jay, We agree again. I hate the sod walls more than the cape and bays of the bunker, but really out of place. Bet it will be gone after the walls start to break down and it needs to be repaired...RHE

Jay Flemma

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 07:15:01 PM »
I don't hate the sod walls - though the "riveting" joke was hilarious:)  I hate how it looks like a piece from a jigsaw puzzle - so fake looking.  I really think it's the ugliest bunker I've ever seen.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 09:59:07 AM »
What does averyone else think of that bunker?  Or the one on 9?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 05:10:19 PM »
Jay,

I happen to love the use of the canals, it adds a distinct flavor to the golf course.

I just wish they hadn't built that monstrous house so close to the golf course.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
Here is a prior thread started by Jason Blasberg in 2004 when the work started:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,15487.0.html
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Dave Falkner

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 10:26:37 PM »
Jay

I think the bunkers on both 9 and 11 look overdone

what is the 9th?  short par 4 ?   I just dont see the purpose of all those bunkers   some of them look like they will punish an already terrible shot why beat up on the 25 hdcp?

Jay Flemma

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 01:12:14 PM »
Jay

I think the bunkers on both 9 and 11 look overdone

what is the 9th?  short par 4 ?   I just dont see the purpose of all those bunkers   some of them look like they will punish an already terrible shot why beat up on the 25 hdcp?

9 is an excellent par-5 with a good diagonal cross hazard to try to carry off the tee.  One of Kay's purposes in the restoration was to make it easier for the high handicapper.  The best thing they can do to achieve that is to thin/cut the rough.

Dave Falkner

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 10:12:43 PM »
Then i guess the purpose would be to disaster the big hitter from going for the green in 2?

Jay Flemma

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2011, 10:46:08 AM »
It's not really a disaster...Stephen Kay made par out of it.  It's a short par-5.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back