News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_Overdorf

Growth enhancement products
« on: January 16, 2002, 07:46:14 PM »
OK, all you knowledgeable people, I need a hand in this quest! While this may not reside truly within the realm of golf course design, I feel it has a position on the development side of things. I am interested in comments regarding Floratine products, their value in growth enhancement the economics of their use and impact in turf development. What say you?  ::) Many thanks, Bill
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Michael_Stachowicz

Re: Growth enhancement products
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2002, 05:57:58 AM »
There are many Superintendents out there who swear by Floratine Products.  The  quickest way to establish a turf area is to let the Superintendent use the tools he is most comfortable with (plus a fertigation system :)).

I have been in a situation where an agronomist (I work for a managment company) has forced his way of doing things and his products down my throat without regard for budget, available manpower, or local weather conditions.  His ideas may have worked for him in his career, but they didn't belong in my toolbox at that point, and the course suffered greatly.

So, Bill, as a developer, let the superintendent use what he is most comfortable with.

redanman (Guest)

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2002, 06:00:43 AM »
::)

Whew!  I was hoping this was a link to Bloussant's uncensored website or something!

I surf cable too much.

Peter Galea

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2002, 07:54:11 AM »
Bill,
Michael makes a good point about letting the superintendent use the tools he or she is comfortable with.
That said, I have been using Floratine for 5 years with great success. I have not used it for a grow-in if that's why you're asking, I'll be of little help.
The Floratine program is expensive, there is a lot of mixing (sometimes 8-10 products), but it has really worked for me and, response is quick (within hours). It has helped in turning around problem greens.
The Floratine reps I have met are very well versed in soil and plant science and will do whatever it takes to achieve desired results. I don't follow the program carte blanche, but do use most of the products with other materials as needed. Some are turned off by the proprietary components,  however trade secrets have never bothered me as long as the results are predictable. I can justify the expense, after all if you don't have good greens, you don't have a good golf course.
Email me if you want more info, I can point you to people who have done grow-in with it.
"chief sherpa"

George Bahto

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2002, 08:18:31 AM »
I thought this had to do with "private parts" or something

Peter Galea

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2002, 08:20:29 AM »
redanman and George, get your mind out of the barranca! ;D
"chief sherpa"

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2002, 08:45:24 AM »
So Pete,,,

are we talking about biostimulants introduced into soil that increase the plant's efficiency to uptake nutrients?  In the long run, do these products promote an increase or decrease in fert, and water usage?  Will products to treat soil and plant response, or efforts to genetically modify plants be of greater effect to deal with future issues like scarcity of water resources and demand for less fert usage...  ???
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Peter Galea

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2002, 09:43:42 AM »
RJ,
Most of the Floratine products are fertilizers along with biostimulants. Generally they are foliarly applied and available to the plant immediately. There are some soli applied products, calcium and copmost tea. Email me for more details if you want. What does this have to do with architecture? They're used on golf courses. :)
Genetically modified runaway bentgrass (resistant to Roundup®) don't get me started. :-X
"chief sherpa"

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2002, 10:14:45 AM »
"What does this have to do with architecture? They're used on golf courses."

Some guesses:  

With faster availability to uptake nutrients, I assume faster recovery from injury.  Thus, potentially smaller areas for teeing grounds, sq ft per rounds played?

More efficient use of nutrients, including water, NPK, FE Mg etc,  and photosynthesis, leading to modification in irrigation systems design relating to volume and timing?

Focused uptake of water and retention of water in root zone effecting surface and sub-surface drainage design?

Roundup resistence on greens bent turf growth habits and density, knocking down poa and not the bent, leading to considerations for speed, slope, cultural practices related to thatch management leading to puffiness, approach of ball on green reaction and relationship to surrounds design?

I don't mind if you get started ;D
I'm too ignorant to know where to begin ::)

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back