News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ted Cahill

I'm the kind of GCA consumer who will break the bank to play all the must plays, however, equally enjoy a round on an underdog, out of the way muni.  I always have my ear to the ground for tips on what I consider to be hidden gems- my favorites are:

Granada Golf Club, Coral Gables, FL 9 Holes- don't hit the dog walkers with your snap hook
Sinnissippi Golf Cse, Rockford, IL 9 Holes
Atwood Golf Cse, Winnebago Co, IL 18 Holes
Roosevelt Golf Cse, Los Angeles, CA 9 Holes- except for the slow play!
Crystal Peaks Golf Cse, Verdi, NV 9 Holes- a doublewide for a clubhouse- feels as remote as Bandon Dunes (OK, maybe not, but close)

It's obvious I lean toward the 9 holers- when I think about it- I suppose because these courses feel "passed over" due to not being 18 holes, yet can have some fine holes themselves.  Nine holers also have a populist feeling to them- almost always more waking friendly, I like seeing the afternoon ladies leagues(as long as I'm in front of them) and I get a chuckle out of the protective fences next to the tee boxes and then a sigh of relief when some chop hits the fence when I'm on the other side of it.   :)
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

Mark Pritchett

Re: Favorite Munis not named Bethpage, Torrrey or Rustic Canyon
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 03:44:50 PM »
Two in North Carolina

Asheville Municipal and Wilmington City Course, both designed by Donald Ross.   

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 03:49:55 PM »
Here are some munis that I have very much enjoyed:

Brackenridge  -  San Antonio
George Wright  -  Boston
Waveland  -  Des Moines
Swope Memorial  -  Kansas City
Hulman Links  -  Terre Haute, Ind.
Eagle Creek  - Indianapolis
Forest Park  -  St. Louis
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Phil McDade

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 03:50:05 PM »

Here's a fun little 18-holer not far from Sinnissippi run by the local forest district:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41510.0.html

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 03:50:48 PM »
Indian Canyon, Spokane WA
South Mountain, Draper UT

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 03:51:32 PM »
Chambers Bay, Home to GRUDGE MATCH - The Sequel, 7/17/11
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Steve Lapper

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 03:56:29 PM »
Aspen
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 04:00:03 PM »
Eastmoreland, Portland Oregon

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 04:03:36 PM »
Coronado Golf Course in San Diego.  This place is more busy than Torrey Pines and only costs $25.  Right on the bay looking toward the San Diego Skyline the whole time, pretty hard to beat that place for a good afternoon. 

Steve D

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 04:03:56 PM »
I just played Riverside Park in Janesville Wisconsin 3 days ago.  May have been the best $28 I have ever spent.  I thought it was great and a lot of fun.  The course was conditioned better than a lot of the high dollar daily fee courses I've encountered on the East Coast.  If you're near Madison, WI this one shouldn't be missed.

Steve

Trevor

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 04:06:03 PM »
Newport National, RI - short risk/reward par 4s are my favorite type of hole, #5 here is a dandy
"When expectations are low, they can be met"

Alex Miller

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 04:09:44 PM »
Coronado Golf Course in San Diego.  This place is more busy than Torrey Pines and only costs $25.  Right on the bay looking toward the San Diego Skyline the whole time, pretty hard to beat that place for a good afternoon. 

Yep yep yep. Coronado is about 10 times farther away from me than Torrey, but I played it an equal amount this past year. A note on the pricing: it's a steep $35 everyday of the week, but $15 twilight everyday as well. The course is always at the very least in good condition, and November-February is hard to beat.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 04:11:44 PM »
I can think of many in Scotland, including some rather high-profile links, depending upon one's  definition of a "municipal" course.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Howard Riefs

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 04:11:49 PM »
Montauk Downs -- Montauk, NY
http://www.montaukdowns.org

Crandon Park -- Key Biscayne, Fla.
http://www.crandongolfclub.com

Thunderhawk Golf Club -- Beach Park, Ill.
http://www.lcfpd.org/thunderhawk/

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Phil McDade

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 04:20:06 PM »
I just played Riverside Park in Janesville Wisconsin 3 days ago.  May have been the best $28 I have ever spent.  I thought it was great and a lot of fun.  The course was conditioned better than a lot of the high dollar daily fee courses I've encountered on the East Coast.  If you're near Madison, WI this one shouldn't be missed.

Steve

Here it is!

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40066.0.html

Jud_T

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 04:26:39 PM »
Shepherd's Crook, Zion, IL
Sydney R. Marovitz, Chicago, IL
Downers Grove, Downers Grove, IL
Deerpath, Lake Forest, IL
Highlands of Elgin, Elgin, IL
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 04:38:14 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 04:27:29 PM »
In the Philly area:

Cobb's Creek
Lederach
Inniscrone
Reading CC
Heron Glen  ( Hunterdon County, NJ)
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Kirk Gill

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 04:32:29 PM »
Two of my favorite true municipal (city-run) courses locally are Murphy Creek in Aurora, Colorado, and Evergreen Golf Course, a city of Denver muni. The former is a modern design amongst the homesites, but good fun for all of that. Gnarly bunkering and overall a good design by Ken Kavanaugh. And the Evergreen course is a tiny mountain muni that used to feature sand greens and is just a blast to play, especially for a short hitter. The serious golf crowd wouldn't likely find much there to enjoy, but for a beginning player especially it's rewarding to play a shorter course that isn't just straight lines and is loaded with quirk.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Mark Provenzano

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 04:36:32 PM »
I'm the kind of GCA consumer who will break the bank to play all the must plays, however, equally enjoy a round on an underdog, out of the way muni.  I always have my ear to the ground for tips on what I consider to be hidden gems- my favorites are:

Wow...never thought I'd see the course I learned the game on mentioned here. Still a fun little course, though making 9 (former number 6) a par 5 seemed silly.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 04:38:54 PM by Mark Provenzano »

Tim Martin

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 04:39:20 PM »
 Connecticut
Shennecossett Golf Club-Groton
Timberlin Golf Club-Berlin
Richter Park-Danbury
Rockledge Golf Club-West Hartford

Rhode Island-
Triggs Memorial-Providence

Howard Riefs

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 04:42:25 PM »
Two of my favorite true municipal (city-run) courses locally are Murphy Creek in Aurora, Colorado, and Evergreen Golf Course, a city of Denver muni. The former is a modern design amongst the homesites, but good fun for all of that. Gnarly bunkering and overall a good design by Ken Kavanaugh. And the Evergreen course is a tiny mountain muni that used to feature sand greens and is just a blast to play, especially for a short hitter. The serious golf crowd wouldn't likely find much there to enjoy, but for a beginning player especially it's rewarding to play a shorter course that isn't just straight lines and is loaded with quirk.

Murphy Creek is a gem. 
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

PCCraig

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 04:45:36 PM »
Chambers Bay is a muni, right?
Brown Deer Park outside of Milwaukee used to host the GMO, and is a nice golf course.
Keller GC in St. Paul is quite good.
H.P.S.

Paul Jones

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 05:08:03 PM »
Memorial Park in Houston, TX
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 05:35:11 PM »
Several iworthwhile to very worthwhile in NJ are Hominy Hill, a Monmouth County, NJ municipal (RTJ, mid 1960s), MEGL in Egg Harbor Twsp (S. Kay), and Knoll West (Banks).  Also, as Steve mentioned, Neshanic in Somerset County. 
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2011, 05:38:58 PM »

I grew up in Aurora and thought very highly of the city golf offerings. Murphy Creek is the star, for sure, though when I lived there it was in the middle of nowhere. Saddle Rock is a solid course with plenty of good holes and I played Meadow Hills and Aurora Hills all the time growing up so I know them both very well. Meadow Hills is a fun, but extremely tight, course. AH is almost the definition of forgettable.

Centre Hills is a nice little 9-hole par 3 course with a good practice facility, as well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back