News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lou_Duran

Walking in the heat ....
« on: June 07, 2011, 10:05:05 AM »
It is reported in this morning's local paper that former Open champion Todd Hamilton qualified for the US Open at Dallas Athletic Club yesterday.  It was nearly 100* during much of the day with nearly a whisper of a breeze.  Like his fellow competitors, the 45 year-old Hamilton walked 36 holes over more than 8 hours.  He also carried his own bag.  By choice.  He claims that it was better for his rythm and simplified things ("one less guy to worry about").

I am sure that this is not a trend, and I certainly don't question the value that caddies add at the professional level.  But from personal experience, I wonder if Hamilton may not be on to something.  Anyways, Hamilton's was a remarkable achievement in endurance, and not a bit short in courage either by going against convention.  Imagine what would have been said if he shot 66-82.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 12:01:13 PM by Lou_Duran »

Ken Moum

Re: Walking in the heat ....
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 10:14:01 AM »
It is reported in this morning's local paper that former Open champion Todd Hamilton qualified for the US Open at Dallas Athletic Club yesterday.  It was nearly 100* during much of the day with nearly a whisper of a breeze.  Like his fellow competitors, the 45 year-old Hamilton walked 36 holes over more than 8 hours.  He also carried his own bag.  By choice.  He claims that it was better for his rythm and simplified things ("one less guy to worry about").

I am sure that this is not a trend, and I certainly don't question the value that caddies add at the professional level.  But from personal experience, I wonder if Hamilton may not be on to something.  Anyways, Hamilton's was a remarkable achievement in endurance, and not a bit short either in courage either by going against convention.  Imagine what would have been said if he shot 66-82.

I suspect Hamilton's an interesting guy, based on things I have heard about him.  A friend of mine (we're playing today) played high school golf against him a long time ago.

I do agree with him that unless you have a caddie with whom you've developed a real rapport, playing without one has to be simpler.  But 36 holes in that heat? Carrying your own bag?  He's gotta be a tough mother.

BTW, one of my favorite golf quotes was attributed to him.  "When it's windy swing like Cindy."  Since there's a good player named Cindy around these parts who has a beautifully smooth tempo, it's a meaningful swing thought.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Jay Flemma

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 10:28:27 AM »
I have a personal view about walking in the heat.  I was sick for three weeks after walking PGA West in 105 degree heat three years ago.  I drank a bottle/glass of ice water every hole, yet had to lie down for two hours after the round with a cold towel over my head, and had strange headaches for a while afterwards.  Heat poisoning/heat stroke is no joke.  Ask Ken Venturi!  I understand Todd's noble idea of keeping his caddie out of harm's way, but I'm surprised he didn't put himself in a bit of harm's way.

Last year, I walked 18 three consecutive days in the NYC area in 100 degrees when we had a brutal heat spell in June/July.  The next day I did something I never do...I took a cart...which everyone else did too, because it would have been just dangerous to try walking again in that weather.

There are times when it's okay to break down and take a cart...and ridiculous heat is one.  Ridiculous rain is another.  The last time I played National, it rained bricks and bats and was wicked cold to boot - 44 degrees and windy.  We were the only players on the course that day, and even with waterproof rain suits and gloves on, we would not have made it without the cart.

I know there's others of you who agree - walking in the heat is no joke and can make you get sick.  It's great to be an ardent walker - but sometimes it's better for your health not to put yourself at risk also.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 10:45:20 AM »
Wow. Good for Todd. I'm no sports psychologist, but I think he just sent himself a very powerful message, a confirmation of his will and his ability to compete, a sign of his trust in himself, and affirmation of his love for the game and for doing it his way. I hope it bodes well for him.  I walk whenever I can -- but the original walkers back in the UK never had to deal with Texas heat.

Peter

Jim Franklin

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 10:53:37 AM »
I have a personal view about walking in the heat.  I was sick for three weeks after walking PGA West in 105 degree heat three years ago.  I drank a bottle/glass of ice water every hole, yet had to lie down for two hours after the round with a cold towel over my head, and had strange headaches for a while afterwards.  Heat poisoning/heat stroke is no joke.  Ask Ken Venturi!  I understand Todd's noble idea of keeping his caddie out of harm's way, but I'm surprised he didn't put himself in a bit of harm's way.

Last year, I walked 18 three consecutive days in the NYC area in 100 degrees when we had a brutal heat spell in June/July.  The next day I did something I never do...I took a cart...which everyone else did too, because it would have been just dangerous to try walking again in that weather.

There are times when it's okay to break down and take a cart...and ridiculous heat is one.  Ridiculous rain is another.  The last time I played National, it rained bricks and bats and was wicked cold to boot - 44 degrees and windy.  We were the only players on the course that day, and even with waterproof rain suits and gloves on, we would not have made it without the cart.

I know there's others of you who agree - walking in the heat is no joke and can make you get sick.  It's great to be an ardent walker - but sometimes it's better for your health not to put yourself at risk also.

You should try wearing shorts too along with another color besides black. I am all for balck pants etc..., but when it is 90+, give me orange Nike dri fit.
Mr Hurricane

Sam Morrow

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 10:59:30 AM »
Let's not forget, Todd lives in Texas, that helps him with the heat. When you are around it every year it is easier for you. I walked 30 yesterday (storm came through) and yes it was hot but I stayed hydrated and had no problems, I am going to go play later today too. That said I can't play in the cold, my young, fat body doesn't work well with cold. It's all about where we live and are used to that climate.

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 11:09:17 AM »
It can be difficult for sure even in the mid atlantic.  High heat and high humidity are not good to play in.

I find that, more than any heat humidity related issue, the thing that I struggle with most is keeping a good grip.
I keep my grips clean and tacky but when its super humid, I really struggle to hold onto the club.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 11:18:51 AM »
I am sure that this is not a trend, and I certainly don't question the value that caddies add at the professional level.  But from personal experience, I wonder if Hamilton may not be on to something.  Anyways, Hamilton's was a remarkable achievement in endurance, and not a bit short either in courage either by going against convention.  Imagine what would have been said if he shot 66-82.

I played in a qualifier for the Illinois State Amateur a few years ago on an extremely hot and humid day.  It was only 18 holes, but I was dragging my own bag and it definitely took a toll on me.  It was difficult to stay hydrated.  It didn't help that the course operators apparently didn't prepare for the heat as well as they could have, and water stations were often dry.  I was practically hallucinating by the 13th/14th hole.  I walk all the time, and I usually prefer to drag my own bag, so it wasn't really an issue of being out of shape.  But for me personally, on a day like that, I think having a caddie was a big advantage for players who had them. 

Hamilton's day was definitely a heck of an achievement, though.  We had decent weather at Lawsonia a couple weeks ago, and I was pretty beat after dragging for 36 holes.  I can't imagine how I would have felt if it had been exceedingly hot, and I'm seven years younger than Hamilton. 

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 11:22:46 AM »
It figures that the USGA doesn't allow push or pull carts nothwithstanding the trend of many private clubs that now allow them.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 11:29:52 AM »
As a 58 yr. old who walks all the time in the Georgia heat, my question would be how Hamilton would be able to do TODAY after walking 36 carrying his bag yesterday.  It is impressive to me that he was able to do what he did, though, and I'll be rooting for him.

It would be cool to see him actually play the Open sans caddy.  In fact, I've often wondered what a PGA event would be like in which the players had to carry their own bag.  I think it would be very cool.

I have adjusted, like others here, that as a concession to my age I have to either take a day off or ride a cart after 3 or 4 days in a row walking during the summer.  I'm pretty good at managing the heat, and I'm very acclimated, but at times I find the spirit willing but the flesh weak.  And so it goes...
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 11:41:09 AM »
AG - and wow to you too! Im several years younger, and just the thought of walking 3/4 days in a row in the Georgia heat fills me with dread...I'm getting clammy, chilly and nauseous just thinking about it! I have to get myself in better shape....I can play in the cold very easily (it just takes another sweater)...but the heat....ugh

Peter

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 11:58:31 AM »
THE NEW GATORADE POWDER"FOR PEOPLE WHO EXPERIENCE CRAMPING"..
is womderful for hydration, tests in independent labs have shown it to be the best electrolyte mix out there, where dissolved in an existing electrolyt drink.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 12:05:04 PM »
Thanks, Michael.  So I guess you're saying that a large coffee and a chocolate muffin on the first tee doesn't cut it, huh?

Peter

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 12:10:39 PM »
Michael,
I was caddying in a three day club event with 100+ heat where one of the guys never made day two as he was drinking too much water. Drinking that much water without balancing the salts caused him many of the same symptoms as Jay.

Proper hydration is very important.

It is a pretty impressive feat on Hamilton's part.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Jud_T

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 12:11:16 PM »
Impressive but dumb if you ask me.  Why not bring a caddy along, particularly in that heat?  104 heat index today, you can bet the ranch I'll be riding this afternoon.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 12:12:18 PM »
Walked/carried 10 rounds in 6 days in NW England week before last..mostly in 3 layers, occasionally 2, usually with a ski cap.

Now-back in the Georgia Clay, walking in 95+.

Give me the heat any day.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 12:18:30 PM »
I've only played in one 36-hole qualifier, for the US Am, at Colonial CC in July or August.  I was in my early 30s, a serious jogger, and in very good physical condition.  The conditions were hot, humid, and whatever little wind there was, it was shielded by Colonial's majestic oaks and pecans.  The bent greens were baking as we played- some of the shots into them plugged; the fringes were mostly burned out and played as GUR.

My caddie doesn't show up for the morning round, but I got around in 80 and didn't feel bad despite being out there over five hours.  My guy shows up for the afternoon round, but due to the slow pace of play, I barely had enough time to change underwear and grab a hot dog.  What little recollection I have of that hazy afternoon round is that I shot around 90, well back of the number, but not high enough to get the dreaded USGA letter.  His recollection is that I hit the ball nearly as well as one of the guys in our group who did qualify- a college player from El Paso, but that I just couldn't get the ball in the hole.  Whatever the experience or the truth might have been, I never tried the US Am qualifier again.

I did carry 36 holes for four straight days at the Bandon KP this year, and, for the most part, my body held up pretty well.  Cold and rain aren't much fun to play in, but it beats hot and humid any day.

Chris Flamion

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 12:24:10 PM »
I walk almost exclusively, and I also usually do a workout before and/or after I finish playing golf.  There is a lot of talk about hydration in this thread but the most important part is probably maintaining your blood sugar at the proper levels.

I could dive into the complex numbers and charts, but eat some fruit and some protein before you get going, eat some more fruit and some fat(nuts) during your round with a steady dose of water(I hate sport drinks) and you will be fine.

When it gets stupid hot all you have to do is up the amount of food and fluids to help balance out the amount lost due to sweat.  That and proper fitness and clothing choices...now if only my knee would let me walk easily

Jay Flemma

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 12:31:50 PM »

You should try wearing shorts too along with another color besides black. I am all for balck pants etc..., but when it is 90+, give me orange Nike dri fit.

Hey Jim!  Good to see you!

You raise another interesting issue.  I always wear long pants at a private club when I am a guest even if they have a shorts rule so as to be respectful of their place.  I'll wear shorts on hot days on public courses though.

As for the black...once in a while I wear blue or even green:)
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 12:32:36 PM »
Correct too much simply fluid can resukt in too much resorption into the gut and before you know it..the runs to the lav!

Mike Tanner

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 02:21:09 PM »
In my experience (in hot humid hazy SE Virginia summers) too much water can have the effect of washing electrolytes out of your system. I've found that maintaining a balanced intake of water and sports drinks works pretty well. Post-round beers taste much better when I don't feel like I'm suffering from heatstroke.

Life's too short to waste on bad golf courses or bad wine.

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 02:24:57 PM »
As a 58 yr. old who walks all the time in the Georgia heat, my question would be how Hamilton would be able to do TODAY after walking 36 carrying his bag yesterday.  It is impressive to me that he was able to do what he did, though, and I'll be rooting for him.

It would be cool to see him actually play the Open sans caddy.  In fact, I've often wondered what a PGA event would be like in which the players had to carry their own bag.  I think it would be very cool.

I have adjusted, like others here, that as a concession to my age I have to either take a day off or ride a cart after 3 or 4 days in a row walking during the summer.  I'm pretty good at managing the heat, and I'm very acclimated, but at times I find the spirit willing but the flesh weak.  And so it goes...

From the Entry Form for the US Open:
          Caddies
          A player is not required to employ a caddie for any stage of the Championship.

I think someone once told me that back in the 1980s Tommy Moore carried his own bag in the US Open playing as an am.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Richard Choi

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 02:27:06 PM »
If heat gets too much, just come on up to beautiful NW where 85' and no humidity is about as hot as it gets in the summer!

Steve Kline

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 02:35:13 PM »
It can be difficult for sure even in the mid atlantic.  High heat and high humidity are not good to play in.

I find that, more than any heat humidity related issue, the thing that I struggle with most is keeping a good grip.
I keep my grips clean and tacky but when its super humid, I really struggle to hold onto the club.

That gets me too. My hands sweat a lot and my right hand just wants to fly off the club. I may need to go to the two glove route.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 02:49:25 PM »
Wow. Good for Todd. I'm no sports psychologist, but I think he just sent himself a very powerful message, a confirmation of his will and his ability to compete, a sign of his trust in himself, and affirmation of his love for the game and for doing it his way. I hope it bodes well for him.  I walk whenever I can -- but the original walkers back in the UK never had to deal with Texas heat.

Peter

Well, Peter, I just saw video of Hamilton's finish and unsurprisingly it would appear you are correct about him engaging in mental imagery / "storyboarding."

For those who haven't seen the video, when he sank his last putt he dropped his putter, tilted back his head, which he then grabbed, and called out to the heavens, "My God, I've won the Open sectional."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back