News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig_Rokke

Walnut Lane:Hobnobbing w/ The Elite?
« on: January 29, 2002, 04:49:27 PM »
I'll admit that when Philadelphia's Walnut Lane Municipal appeared in the "Courses By Country" section, I chuckled.
"Is that supposed to be a joke?", I thought. Pine Valley.... Merion.... Walnut Lane? Something's not right here. In fact one sourpuss in the comments section vowed never to log onto the site again because of just that. I, myself, had managed to avoid the par 62, 4500 yard muni for my 20 years of golfing in the region.

The 65 degree weather finally brought me out there today. I
was not disappointed. The review is accurate. This is a
fun, challenging course! Findlay cleverly uses the sometimes wild terrain well. A great mix of par threes and a number
of par fours demand precise shot-making. On the par 4's especially, some tilted fairways, as well as the encroaching specimen trees put pressure on you to hit accurate shots.

The conditions, given the season, and the type of course it is,
were about what I expected. All types of players with varying skills were there. (In fact the postman, in-semi uniform, that I played with had to run back to work to clock out at the end of the round!) And they all seemed convinced that their $12 was well-spent.

Everyone needs to play a few courses like this in order consider themselves a well-rounded student of the game. And no, it's not in the same class as the  other courses featured on the site, but that's fine with me. If I didn't read about it here, I wouldn't have played it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

ed_getka

Re: Walnut Lane:Hobnobbing w/ The Elite?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2002, 10:05:48 PM »
Craig,
Finding out about courses like Walnut Lane is one of the cool things about this site. Out here in NorCal I found Stevinson Ranch on my own and it turned out to be highly regarded by the other guys out here. Based on their enthusiasm for Barona Creek I sought the course out and loved it. I have been making a list of courses that are mentioned on this site and plan on playing when I make it to certain parts of the country. In addition to learning about architecture I now have a list of courses to play instead of relying on suspect golf media recommendations.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Dan Grossman

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2002, 11:28:09 AM »
I stumbled on to Walnut Lane one Sunday morning last September with a friend of mine.  I thought the course was interesting and I definitely thought that there were some neat holes, but I am not sure that it is a golf course worth seeking out.  Had I driven more than 5 minutes to get there, I might have been disappointed in the experience.  While I am not hung up on having a course perfectly maintained, I also expect the maintenance not to detract from the course.  It was a little hard to take the course seriously with the shag carpet greens.  I tend to disagree with the notion that Walnut Lane is such a hidden gem in the Philly area.  

Ran Morrissett

Par 62 rules!
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2002, 04:22:15 PM »
Craig,

Great post.

This is in part what I was trying to get at under my openness post - cool architectural features are to be found in lots of different size courses. It is ALWAYS a delight to stumble across any design that is well thoughtout - I wish I knew more about Alex Findlay.

The content of your post reminds me of a miserable modern course south of LA. Possibly the worst course I've ever seen, the owners were determined to get a "championship" course crammed over extremely hilly terrain ill-suited for such a purpose.

The result? The course has cratered once if not twice in its glorious four year history and millions have been lost forever.

Why do I mention it? The owners initially received a design for a clever, less than 6,000 yard course, par 68 or so that incorporated the site's few decent features in an original and meaningful way.

Of course, the owners showed no interest. Millions of dollars could have been saved on its construction, if nothing else. Still, to this day, I'm sure they don't know how different things possibly could have turned out.

The way Golf Digest's rankings inadvertently lionize the 7,000 plus yard courses is mis-guided beyond belief. Show me the way to Eastward Ho! or Cape Arundel instead.

Cheers,

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2002, 05:44:48 PM »
You definitely have to peel back some layers to be able to appreciate courses like this. As I was playing, I thought
about the tens of thousands of city kids who scraped up a few dollars to learn the game on this 1935 course, Findlay's
last. In fact, he was 70 years old when the course was completed.

The conditions were somewhat rough, but if you can get
past that, the urban noise, and a par of 62, there are
some really good holes. The back nine in particular strings
some really fun ones together.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back