News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian Andrew

« on: February 27, 2011, 11:00:56 AM »
Future Discussions

Date                Member              Topic                                                                     Original Author

March 27th       George Pazin       The Reverse Old Course                                            Jeremy Glenn
April 4th           JNC Lyon             The Evolution of Augusta National                             Daniel Wexler

Past Topics

Feb                  Ian Andrew        Magazine Architecture                                               Tom MacWood
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,47494.0.html

Mar 6th             Mac Plumart        Art and Architecture                                                 Geoff Shackelford
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,47557.0.html

Mar 13th           JNC Lyon            A Renaissance Movement in Golf Architecture"              Tom Paul
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,47631.0.html

March 20th        Ed Oden             The Architect as Genius                                            Mike Young
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,47687.0.html

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 09:48:40 PM by Ian Andrew »

JNC Lyon

Re: The "In My Opinion" Discussion Series
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 11:22:50 AM »
Ian,

I think this is a cool idea.  Can I lead the discussion of Tom Paul's "A Renaissance Movement in Golf Architecture" on the week of March 13th?
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Ian Andrew

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 12:54:02 PM »
JNC,

Done - Thank you for giving this a go.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 01:16:27 PM »
Please contact Ran to get a "Sticky Topic" on this thread and all other "In My Opinion" discussions threads.  These will take me (and I'm sure others) a bit of time to read and consider respones/discussions and I'd hate to have them fall deep into the archives before ample consideration is done to put up good posts.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

John Kirk

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 01:30:31 PM »
Hi Ian,

Could you bring Chris Buie's thread back to the top, in hopes it will stick around for a while?

JNC Lyon

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 07:09:57 PM »
Thanks for kicking this off Ian.  Let's get some more volunteers!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 07:41:10 PM »
Maybe we need more "In My Opinion" pieces?

Nevertheless, I'll lead a discussion on the Max Behr "Art and Architecture" piece.

Also, Tom Doak has an essay on his site called "Play it as it lies" and it focuses on minamalism.  That would be fun to discuss.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 05:45:22 PM »
Mac,

Will you lead the discussion of Max Behr's piece next week.  The Doak piece sounds interesting as well.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 05:48:35 PM »
Yes, I'd be happy to.  I'll pop up an introductory post on Monday...but the key will be others adding on.  Tom Paul...get in the game...we need you for a Max Behr thread.  Geoff Shackelford...are you still around?  It could be really good if we good some good posters.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 07:32:50 PM »
Mac,

Thank you.
I appreciate you and JNC making the effort.

Ed Oden

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 08:25:24 PM »
Ian, thanks for starting this series.  Please don't be discouraged if there are fewer posts than you would like.  I suspect these threads will get more views than posts since the IMO pieces often involve topics most of us know little about.  So I wouldn't interpret a lack of response as a lack of interest.  In my opinion (pun intended), this series will be a success if it spurs people to read the IMO pieces even if few actually add to the discussion.

That being said, while I am certainly not qualified, I'm happy to help the cause by leading a discussion.  I don't recall seeing much talk about "The Missing Faces of Merion" by David Moriarty, so I'll take that one.  Just kidding...How about I tackle "The Architect as Genius" by Mike Young?

Ian Andrew

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 08:35:25 PM »
...How about I tackle "The Architect as Genius" by Mike Young?

Ed,

I like your choice ... can I pencil you in for this one?

Ed Oden

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 09:04:51 PM »
...How about I tackle "The Architect as Genius" by Mike Young?

Ed,

I like your choice ... can I pencil you in for this one?

Done.  I'm working on a theory that links architectural genius with alphabetical design features.  What do you think?

Dave McCollum

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 10:04:04 PM »
I’m such an idiot that I read almost all of the content on this site before I ever hit the “DG” tab.  I read all the course reviews, feature interviews, IMO pieces, etc. over several years before discovering the Treehouse.

This is an excellent idea as there are many well written opinion pieces.  I read many of them years ago and will have to review the old ones and catch up with the new.  I don’t spend enough time reading the discussions to volunteer to lead one.  Although I’m as certifiable in golf nuttiness as most on this site, I’m not very dependable, mostly hit and miss, and not an avid poster.  Good luck and do good work.   I’ll read when I can.

Jason Topp

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 10:17:50 PM »
I'm probably not the best to lead the discussion (I have played 5 of the courses) but I would suggest doing Matt Cohn's Golf in Australia piece shortly after the GCA event there.  It was one of my key guides to inspire me to take the family there about 5 years ago and also to pick golf courses because I had to heavily negotiate how often I played on a family trip. 

I would suggest someone else that has played the reverse old course lead a discussion on the terrific piece on that topic.

Tony Ristola

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 01:18:51 AM »
I enjoy the Discussion Group but I lament how often a really interesting idea never gets the time or opportunity to fully develop. I’m frustrated by the Discussion Group’s MTV length attention span and how quickly a really good thread is thrown aside for multiple Off Topic pieces. F
Just "bump" the thread.

I enjoy going back to the start and reading the old stuff. Too bad the earliest stuff from the other format isn't archived... is it possible to have that as a separate website/link? It would illustrate a certain evolution of the site, and how in the beginning there wasn't quite the group-think prevalent today.

In the beginning: http://web.archive.org/web/19991128100415/http://www.golfclubatlas.com/

http://web.archive.org/web/20000619002316/www.golfclubatlas.com/board/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Golf+Course+Architecture&number=1&DaysPrune=20&

Reading Tommy N's take on LACC North would be interesting in light of the restoration, unfortunately that's the end of the Way Back Machine's road.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 01:26:15 AM by Tony Ristola »

Ian Andrew

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 08:06:41 PM »
Are there any new takers for leading the next disucssion in the series?

Future Discussions

Date                                   Member              Topic                                                                      Original Author

Feb                                    Ian Andrew         Magazine Architecture                                              Tom MacWood
Mar 6th                              Mac Plumart        Art and Architecture                                                 Geoff Shackelford
Mar 13th                            JNC Lyon             A Renaissance Movement in Golf Architecture"            Tom Paul
Mar 20th
Mar 27th

George Pazin

Re: Sign Up for "In My Opinion" Discussion Series
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 10:52:44 AM »
I'll lead a discussion of Jeremy Glenn's Reverse Old Course the week of the 27th.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Ian Andrew

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 02:00:18 PM »
I'll lead a discussion of Jeremy Glenn's Reverse Old Course the week of the 27th.

Thank you George - I'll email and ask Jeremy if he'll return to participate

Tom MacWood

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2011, 09:34:46 AM »
While I believe re-discussing these old essays is a good thing, especially for those new to the group who weren't around when they were originally published, I think the more disturbing reality or issue is the dearth of new essays being presented. From my own perspective I'd love to write and present new essays, but I'm still waiting for the last one I wrote to be presented.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 09:03:33 PM »
Tom,

I spent 3 years on the last one doing all the research.
One day I will take on the evolution of Jasper, but I will neetd to get out to see Alan and Perry again to collect the last few pieces of what I need.

To all,

Are there any more volunteers?

JNC Lyon

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 09:12:03 PM »
It would be cool to discuss Wexler's new Augusta piece during Masters week.  I'd be happy to lead that one.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 09:51:18 PM »
Great idea - I have booked you in.

It would be interesting to assess what people think is better and what features we miss.
I found the article only added more to my reverence of Perry Maxwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back