News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mikeyolympic

ANNANDALE COUNTRY CLUB in PASADENA, CA
« on: May 10, 2003, 10:08:09 AM »
anybody know anything about this course? how tough is it? what's its history?

also, does anyone know if jim patria is still there?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Mr_Chill

Re: ANNANDALE COUNTRY CLUB in PASADENA, CA
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2003, 12:09:22 PM »
Mikey,

I sense some immaturity in your questions, maybe even some anger ...

As Dr. Katz' out-patient care assistant, I recommend that you use proper puncuation and writing style in your questions and responses, maybe even capitalizing the first letter of the first word in a new sentance.

And why do you have such a keen interest in Annandale?

Mr. Chill

mikeyolympic

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2003, 12:51:35 PM »
like your names says.... CHILL OUT!!! simple questions wanting simple answers...

by the way, i want to know because I might get the chance to play it soon. also, I heard about jim patria, and want to know if he's still teaching there...

Mikey,

I sense some immaturity in your questions, maybe even some anger ...

As Dr. Katz' out-patient care assistant, I recommend that you use proper puncuation and writing style in your questions and responses, maybe even capitalizing the first letter of the first word in a new sentance.

And why do you have such a keen interest in Annandale?

Mr. Chill
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:05 PM by -1 »

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2003, 03:11:44 PM »
All I know is it's not that easy of an invite. Pretty exclusive or so I'm told.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2003, 04:17:53 PM »
I played Annandale in a college match in 1962, haven't played it since.  I distinctly remember the first hole, a 430 yard hole straight up hill which disappeared into the smog which was so intense in the Pasadena foothills in those pre-emission control days.  We could barely see our tee balls land.  My opponent played first and knocked a four iron straight at what appeared to be the pin.  When we got up there, the ball was in the hole!  A good start for him and it didn't let up.  I recall the course was interesting, built in a series of interconnected canyons that ran off in different directions.  Most of the holes were their own little islands.  You paid for straying off the fairways as the hills were rocky with scrub, sort of like Scottsdale with hills.  I checked golfcourse.com; they say the course opened in 1906 and architect unknown.  Wonder who it was in that long ago time in Los Angeles?

Paul Richards

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2003, 04:40:09 PM »
Annandale is an excellent classic golf course, but it is tough to get on.

Good luck! ;)
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2003, 06:06:00 PM »
Mikey,
First off before I get to Annandale, Instead of being really defensive, simply do like many other fine and well-mannered people (Mike Cirba, John V. etc.) in this discussion group and simply say, "I apologize for what seemed liked the strong tone....."

Please try to make a difference. We just have way too much in-fighting going on here sometimes, and it certainly does ruin it for all regardless of who is right or wrong.

Now on to Annandale. The design is originally Norman MacBeth with Billy Bell coming in later (A slight misnomer on my part since BB Sr. started his career in golf here as Annandale's superintendent) and adding the famed Bell trademark bunkering that may have been only outdone at Riviera. Its a somewhat hilly course that resides just due southwest of the Rose Bowl. One of the club's favored sons up until last year after his death was Paul Runyan, who still played/practiced/taught here. So many times I wanted to go up there and talk to the man, but never afforded the time. A HUGE mistake.

Architecturally, about two or three years ago, Annandale hired Schmidt & Curley to come-in and recreate the once dramatic bunkering that existed here. It was such an over-whelming failure that they ended up saying that they were giving it a classic touch and feel. To add insult to injury, they utilized crushed white marble which made it look even worse. Supposedly the bunker sand has been toned-down dramatically since that--what-ever-you-want-to-call-it. However the depth of the bunkers makes some of them close to unrecoverable because Brian Curley thinks that is how Billy Bell intended his bunkers to be played, which of course is wrong. They were to reflect the jagged cuts and natural hollows of the Pasadena hillsides, covered in all sorts of beautiful stark ruggedness. You know, the type of stuff that doesn't look pretty because it isn't green and lush year round. Also, like most SoCal classics, mix and add about a million trees, and it will spell it all out for you. You were still supposed to be able to recover out of them. the only recovery now is when paramedics are called to the scene to revive many of the club's older member's that has exasperated themselves trying to get out of the new bunkers.

At one time, Jim Petralia was one of the better players here in SoCal. I did once meet him in passing, and I was introduced to him as one of SoCal's finest teaching professionals. You can't miss him because he looks like everyone's favorite talking equine "Mr. Ed." You know, "A horse is a horse of course of course, that's unless he is a talking horse...."

Jim lives here, behind the Orange Curtin and heads up a golf teaching institute called, Golf Performance Lab in Laguna Hills. You can reach him at 949-215-7061

Hope it all works out for you, and remember--BEING POSiTIVE IS CONTAGIOUS. (Let that be for all of us!)

David Kelly

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2003, 06:23:38 PM »
Even though I only live a mile or two from the course I have only played it once and that was in high school.

It is built on the hill that overlooks Brookside Golf Club and the Rose Bowl and is pretty tight, not very long and has a lot of elevation changes.  It has deep white faced bunkers protecting the greens - some of which I remember as being extremely fast if you were above the hole.

I have Annadale listed as being designed by Walter Fovargue who also did some work in northern CA as well as Washington state.  Since then it was remodeled or worked on by Willie Watson, Billy Bell (supposedly extensively), RTJ, Jr. and Schmidt/Curley and there may have been others.  Bell was also the caddiemaster at Annadale before WWI.

As others have said it is not easy to get on Annandale.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2003, 01:59:16 PM »
Aside from the course, one of the most interesting aspects of Annandale has been its policy regarding maitenance equipment.  They replace almost everything after it has reached an age of two years.  I bought a Toro triplex mower that they used for verticutting the tees!  That was 1994.  It is still going strong for me as a mower and verticutter.  Did replace the motor.  If you can buy their two year old equipment, who can make some good deals, but it goes fast.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2003, 05:16:24 PM »
Like the forerunner to the CIA... OSS.... oh so social.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back