News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JC Jones

Re: What golf gift did you get or give today?
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2010, 11:04:18 AM »
What else, golf books! :)

My in-laws gave me copies of the History of Pebble Beach as well as True Links while my wife gave me a copy of the awesome The Story of Golf at The Country Club, which won the 2009 USGA Book of the Year Award and from the look of it deserved it very much.

Pat,

Here was Geoff Shackelford's take:

According to the USGA Museum website, The Herbert Warren Wind Book Award...

recognizes and honors outstanding contributions to golf literature. Named in honor of the famed 20th-century American golf writer, the award acknowledges and encourages outstanding research, writing, and publishing about golf. The award attempts to broaden the public’s interest and knowledge in the game of golf.

With that in mind, we learned today that John de St. Jorre's “The Story of Golf at The Country Club” won the 2009 prize. Now, I've never seen the book, know nothing about it and have little doubt that it's a wonderful piece of work worthy of some form of recognition.

But is a book not available for sale to the general public really broadening the public's interest and knowledge in the game of golf? Is a club history something that has the power to advance the public's passion for golf literature?  Of course not and I don't think it's a stretch to say that the selection committee has done the USGA much of a service here (then again, there should be an annual club history award just to prevent this kind of thing from happening).

It's also rather sad that an award designed to bring awareness to quality research, writing and publishing about golf not only picks a privately published volume, but fails to recognize some of the other finalists on the off chance someone would like to know what other worthy efforts were published. You know, on the off chance they aren't invited to The Country Club and given a free copy as a guest of a member.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

PCCraig

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2010, 11:44:45 AM »
What else, golf books! :)

My in-laws gave me copies of the History of Pebble Beach as well as True Links while my wife gave me a copy of the awesome The Story of Golf at The Country Club, which won the 2009 USGA Book of the Year Award and from the look of it deserved it very much.

Pat,

Here was Geoff Shackelford's take:

According to the USGA Museum website, The Herbert Warren Wind Book Award...

recognizes and honors outstanding contributions to golf literature. Named in honor of the famed 20th-century American golf writer, the award acknowledges and encourages outstanding research, writing, and publishing about golf. The award attempts to broaden the public’s interest and knowledge in the game of golf.

With that in mind, we learned today that John de St. Jorre's “The Story of Golf at The Country Club” won the 2009 prize. Now, I've never seen the book, know nothing about it and have little doubt that it's a wonderful piece of work worthy of some form of recognition.

But is a book not available for sale to the general public really broadening the public's interest and knowledge in the game of golf? Is a club history something that has the power to advance the public's passion for golf literature?  Of course not and I don't think it's a stretch to say that the selection committee has done the USGA much of a service here (then again, there should be an annual club history award just to prevent this kind of thing from happening).

It's also rather sad that an award designed to bring awareness to quality research, writing and publishing about golf not only picks a privately published volume, but fails to recognize some of the other finalists on the off chance someone would like to know what other worthy efforts were published. You know, on the off chance they aren't invited to The Country Club and given a free copy as a guest of a member.

Availble on Amazon.com? No. But it's available to anyone who calls the pro shop to order a copy.  I'm sure Geoff's perspective has nothing to do with professional sour grapes. ::) ;)

The book is a wonderful work and spreads into the greater golf world and is really a microcosm of the history of American golf. That makes it much more interesting to read than the usual run-of-the-mill club history. If someone is interested I would recommend giving the pro shop a phone call.
H.P.S.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2010, 12:06:22 PM »
Here is the book in question. The content is very similar to Elmer Cappers' book, but the section on the courses evolution is a good addition. I don't believe Herbert Wendeler is given enough credit in either book.

http://issuu.com/lhasak/docs/tcc_book

Greg Clark

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2010, 12:22:35 PM »
Got a Tour Links 9 foot putting green/training aid, and a late 90's Cameron Santa Fe TeI3 putter.  2011 is all about improving with the flat stick.

Mike,

I have been really thinking about purchasing a Tour Striker.  Seems like a great training aid, and I would be very interested in gaining your thoughts on your experience with it.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2010, 12:23:45 PM »
I received the Seth Raynor's Plan for Cypress Point, Barker's diary, Macdonald's routing plan for "some course in Philly where they played cricket, Wilson's Diary of his trip to the UK and sketches for Merion, Dunn's routing plan for Shinnecock Hills.

All I wanted was a sleeve of Pro V's so I was kinda bummed.

hick

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2010, 12:26:50 PM »
True Links

Tim Martin

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2010, 12:49:09 PM »
True Links-I have already leafed through the entire book and read just a little bit of the text. It has a lot of geographical info by way of maps,lists by area with year built and architects. 5 star so far IMO. Highland Links in Truro Mass is a must play this year. A cool note listed in the book is that off season if the pins are in  with weather permitting you leave your fee in an honor box. I wonder how this would work at Dyker Beach Golf Course in Brooklyn. ;)

Mark Manuel

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2010, 01:37:30 PM »
Received a new Zero Restriction rain jacket.  But it came in this box:

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Prank-Boxes-2-2dpk-2e-Birdie/dp/B002Q3XF5Q

I can say that it will get any serious golfer.  There was at least thirty seconds of how was I going to explain this to the guys I play golf with on the weekend?

Highly recommend it as a prank.
The golf ball is like a woman, you have to talk it on the off chance it might listen.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2010, 01:59:26 PM »
I got a Wife who understands my fervor for the game and supports it fully.  Every day is Christmas!!!  Normally, the "gift" doesn't come in the way of purchases, but in her patience with my Golf trips during the year.

However, this year was different and included a gift (new Taylor Made HT Burner Irons), which were "pre-gifted" in late November so I could swing them a few times before the snow fell.  To be fair, her signed Phil Dawson jersey was pre-gifted so she could wear it during the last half of football season.

This season also included the purchase of a new set of rain-gear.  However, this was really an ancillary golf benefit.  We both purchased rain gear a few weeks ago in anticipation of forecasted showers during the Bills-Browns game (which is another great gift - my wife insists that we go out and watch football every Sunday rather than stay home and do chores).

Kevin, you need to take good care of this lady, she is a genuine keeper!  Congratulations!

George Pazin

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2010, 02:31:31 PM »
I received the Seth Raynor's Plan for Cypress Point, Barker's diary, Macdonald's routing plan for "some course in Philly where they played cricket, Wilson's Diary of his trip to the UK and sketches for Merion, Dunn's routing plan for Shinnecock Hills.

All I wanted was a sleeve of Pro V's so I was kinda bummed.

:)

I got a bunch of golf balls. Hopefully I will actually put them to their intended use.

I also got a bunch of golf mags from a friend down under who knew I'd appreciate them. Thanks, Mark, that's the sort of thing that makes my day.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2010, 02:51:50 PM »
I got a Wife who understands my fervor for the game and supports it fully.  Every day is Christmas!!!  Normally, the "gift" doesn't come in the way of purchases, but in her patience with my Golf trips during the year.

However, this year was different and included a gift (new Taylor Made HT Burner Irons), which were "pre-gifted" in late November so I could swing them a few times before the snow fell.  To be fair, her signed Phil Dawson jersey was pre-gifted so she could wear it during the last half of football season.

This season also included the purchase of a new set of rain-gear.  However, this was really an ancillary golf benefit.  We both purchased rain gear a few weeks ago in anticipation of forecasted showers during the Bills-Browns game (which is another great gift - my wife insists that we go out and watch football every Sunday rather than stay home and do chores).

Kevin, you need to take good care of this lady, she is a genuine keeper!  Congratulations!

I was thinking the same thing!!

She's a Browns Fan, while I support the Bills (lots of shared misery).  When we went to a game together, a bunch of drunk Bills fans were chanting "Get a New Wife!"

My only response was "My Wife is here with me.  Yours is sitting at home getting mad and thinking of what you're going to do to make up for going to the Football Game."

Oh yeah, she likes Hockey too!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2010, 02:54:23 PM »

I was thinking the same thing!!

She's a Browns Fan, while I support the Bills (lots of shared misery).  When we went to a game together, a bunch of drunk Bills fans were chanting "Get a New Wife!"

My only response was "My Wife is here with me.  Yours is sitting at home getting mad and thinking of what you're going to do to make up for going to the Football Game."

Oh yeah, she likes Hockey too!

Does she drink Bud Lite?  ;D   Just kidding!

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2010, 03:17:57 PM »

Does she drink Bud Lite?  ;D   Just kidding!

Nahh - none of those light beers for her (I confess that I'm the Mich Ultra guy).  Guinness or Sam Adams for the Mrs.

mike_beene

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2010, 07:45:33 PM »
Greg,re the tour striker it looks tough to hit but from my fairly tight lie mat upstairs it seems to be hittable.I am going to take it to the range tomorrow or Weds and will report. I don't see how working on impact could be a bad thing.I tried to flip a few times and you get a pure ground ball.The cat has reevaluated her confidence and changed her chase position for the rubber balls.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2010, 11:24:49 AM »
Posted by: Pat_Craig 
Insert Quote
What else, golf books!

This thread within a thread reminds me of the single funniest response to a blog entry i've seen in awhile.  This fellow wrote a comment on Shackelford's website regarding The Country Club Book...see if you agree, or maybe I'm just twisted?

Something about this smacks of elitism, though I'm sure it's a good book with lots of neat stuff about the famous plumbing leak of 1928, the legendary 25-hour gin game between two fourth-generation members, controversial changes in the dining menu, the episode where a drunk member lost control and mispronounced "escargot," the time John Kennedy shot 38 for nine holes but couldn't tell anyone because he was supposed to be in Washington D.C., the riveting 1954 caddie tournament in which the winner was given a small cup and $20 in pro shop credit, worry about inadequate parking on the eve of the 1963 U.S. Open, the time-honored tradition of coloring the draft beer green on St. Patrick's Day, the time a priest shouted an epithet after bogeying the 18th, and the scandal that ensued after a local firefighter played without proper authorization after saving the the membership chairman's son from a dorm-room fire at Harvard, the 1972 charity tournament that netted $500 donation to a local Catholic orphanage despite an economc recession raging in the background, and of course, deep insights into the character of Eddie Lowery, Clyde Squirrell and Francis Ouimet.
I'm keeping an eye out on eBay for this.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2010, 01:47:31 PM »
I bought Laura a new Scotty Cameron (left handed) Newport 2 putter.  Better than diamonds to her (god bless her!)...

Mac Plumart

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2010, 03:13:24 PM »
Joel...

I am with you.  That is funny!   8)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Walter Bart

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2010, 09:48:18 PM »
Also received a copy of True Links (actually,  a present to myself)

Tim,  hope you are not disappointed in Highland Links, IT is a fun course. In the few times I have played it, there has always been someone at the " Pro Shop" collecting greens fees.

I had thought that Sankaty Head in Nantucket would easily make the cut, but it did not.  Maybe the pond on  #16 was the deciding factor.  Anyone with more  insight on this?

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2010, 04:07:35 PM »
Some Essays on Golf Course Architecture - Colt & Alison - 1920 (My present to myself for xmas)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 04:13:46 PM by RSLivingston_III »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Carl Johnson

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2010, 08:14:18 PM »
My wife gave me an autographed "to Carl" copy of the book My Place at the Table: Stories of Life and Golf, by John Derr, (2010).  On the cover leaf, "He can still be found at age 92 sharing his history, wit and wisdom at te Old Sports Gallery and Book Shop in the Village of Pinehurst, North Carolina where he lives and still writes . . . ."
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 08:19:06 PM by Carl Johnson »

Joe Grasty

« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2010, 11:14:27 PM »
My mother gave me three golf books:

• True Links by George Peper and Malcolm Campbell
  • Dave Stockton's Putt to Win by Dave Stockton
  • Miracle on the 17th Green by James Patterson and Peter de Jonge
True Links has already got me planning a trip to Scotland.

Jason Walker

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2010, 10:45:51 PM »
clearly a little late from the Christmas day posting....but....I've been traveling.

My father converted about a dozen 8mm reel to reel videos to DVD and gave each family member a copy.  These tapes had sat in his desk for over 40 years.  In some cases they were grainy but they translated to DVD quite well.   The golf hook?  There was about 10 mins of my father in his early 20's (now 67) with his buddies taping their swings and critiquing each other.  The entire video was fantastic , especially to be able to see my father in live action in his early 20's.  But the golf portion was really something.  It was emotional and moving and frankly gave me chills.  Was the best gift I've received in a long time, maybe ever.

Chris Buie

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2010, 11:07:24 PM »
Well Jason, I don't think I've heard of a better golf gift than that.  Occasionally something transcendent slips through. 
Those things are quite important, actually.

Jason Walker

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2010, 11:22:46 PM »
Chris, I gotta tell you, it was great.  We each got one in the stocking and then all watched it together on the big screen later in the day.  Perhaps the funniest part was watching my mother react to the five minutes of video dedicated to a trip my dad took with his girlfriend....the one immediately before he met my mother.  Hysterical!  The whole thing was surreal actually.  My father thinks he has at least another dozen somewhere so I really hope he finds them!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back