News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

O/T, Books at Christmas
« on: December 19, 2010, 06:02:03 PM »
I decided to check out my wife's Christmas Wish List and came across a book entitled " Palaces of Music-Opera Houses of Europe."

I couldn't get it from Amazon or Rizzoli. I did go to Google and found this, open it up view the book, listen to the music and then the price list; I didn't order it.

http://www.palacesofmusic.com/

Bob

Melvyn Morrow

Re: O/T, Books at Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 06:20:13 PM »

Bob

The Opera House in Manaus Brazil was a surprise when I worked there in the 1970’s. Built in the Victorian Age by the rubber planters and they did attract one or two singers from Europe. An Opera House  a 1,000 miles up the Amazon River is not what one expects.

Can’t find some of my old photos but here is a link with modern photo selection. http://www.southamericanpictures.com/collections/manaus%20opera%20house/manaus%20opera.htm

Hoping to take my wife to Verona for the Opera in the old open Roman gladiator arena, http://www.opera.explorertravel.co.uk/Operas/Verona.htm?gclid=CNmft-C4-aUCFYIe4Qod3GH6ng    Planned for 2012via The Orient Express starting in London to Venice.

Melvyn

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 07:58:03 PM »
Melvyn,

I have seen the Verona House but am amazed at the Manaus structure; simply amazing that the materials travelled a thousand miles up the river and was built in a pretty inhospitable place.

Best wishes on your visit to Verona.

Bob

Tim Bert

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 09:51:06 PM »
Those are really magnificent photographs of some stunning opera houses!  Would be quite the way to spend some evenings on a European golf trip.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 12:51:40 AM »
Wow
I've got to say that OperaHouseAtlas.com would be a cool site.
And it would be especially rewarding to attend an opera at each house.
It would make sense to wait until it is available on Amazon to order....
I'm glad you have each other this holiday season.
Peace
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 06:46:58 AM »
Bob,

This is a stunning book...

So to keep this on gca.com ON Topic, which golf clubs do you think would provide either the best story line or site for an opera? I'm voting for Shinnecock and it can be titled "The Passions of White" and it will end with his death in the restaurant over the love affair he had. The perfect end for an opera! Puccini definitely should have written it...

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 08:54:24 AM »

Here’s some excerpts from a thread entitled “Is modern Technology ruining the classic Opera House?”  on www.OperaHouseAtlas.com”.
They seem to have odd echoes.  Ahh but that’s progress for you.

ModOperagoer
“If any of the luddites on this site had endured a night at Covent Garden before the air conditioning was put in, they’d soon shut the ++++ up!”

El Puristi
“My dear Chap (I assume you’re male, it’s so hard to tell on this Wireless contraption) if you knew anything about Opera you’d realise Italy is a warm blooded country where sun and heat is essential for the drama to flow. One day you’ll pay a visit and all will be revealed.  Try listening to Opera recorded in the Golden age of the 78, and you’ll see what you’re missing”

The voice of reason
“While I can see the benefit of  air conditiong I think the major opera houses have gone too far with the Surtitles above the proscenium. Thank God that Mexican went bust before he put a screen on the back of every seat in the theatre.  
PS I’m still not sure how I stand on Opera in the local language.”

El Puristi
“’Reason’ is correct. Even if one wasn’t fortunate enough to be  brought up holidaying with the Meneghini  in Milano, one simply must feel the  drama. When Verismo came in all the old values were lost, bring back Paisello.  Screens in the opera house  are truly the work of Mephistocles.”

Opera Green
“ I’m sure the old houses were Quaint but the Paris Garnier was for a different time.  Who needs as much space in reception as there is in the hall?  If the modern technical facilities aren’t upto scratch then I say knock em down and build a new one.  Same goes for Sydney, why call it an Opera House if you can’t perform there?”

El Puristi
“Don’t mention the Sydney abortion.  It has been my tragedy to live post WW11, truly the New Dark Ages, simply ghastly. Only Maria to cherish, ahh dear, dear Maria.”

Ciao Tuti
“Hey isn’t the web where you go for gossip?  
Who’s heard that a certain Diva at the Met can only hit the high notes with the help of mike hidden in her wig?  And which top Tenor can still woo the Diva’s in his seventh decade?  IM me names.”

El Pruristy
“It would never have happened in Volpe’s days...”

Zugang Hund
“Can anyone me get  tickets to Glyndebourne for my dear old Mom.....”
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 09:26:45 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 08:57:34 AM »
Werner Herzog's movie "Fitzcarraldo" (1982) is based on the story of the man behind the construction of the opera house up the Amazon.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083946/
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 08:59:20 AM by David_Tepper »

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 08:59:59 AM »
Tony,

In this response to "El Puristi" Callas is an ODO (Old Dead One) who couldn't hold a C to Joan Sutherland's E...

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 09:06:20 AM »
Philip.

El Puristi has contacted me to say that Melba is the only good thing to have come from Australia, but with a surname like yours he's prepared to forgive you. Once.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 09:46:54 AM »
Tony,

Tell Puristi that she not only doesn't even compare with Montserrat Caballe but that she has an even better surname than I do!

Also, as much as I love the purity of his voice, Beniamino Gigli was not only better than Caruso, he was also surpassed by Pavarotti!

;D
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 09:52:58 AM by Philip Young »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 10:14:55 AM »

Bob

The Opera House in Manaus Brazil was a surprise when I worked there in the 1970’s. Built in the Victorian Age by the rubber planters and they did attract one or two singers from Europe. An Opera House  a 1,000 miles up the Amazon River is not what one expects.

Can’t find some of my old photos but here is a link with modern photo selection. http://www.southamericanpictures.com/collections/manaus%20opera%20house/manaus%20opera.htm

Hoping to take my wife to Verona for the Opera in the old open Roman gladiator arena, http://www.opera.explorertravel.co.uk/Operas/Verona.htm?gclid=CNmft-C4-aUCFYIe4Qod3GH6ng    Planned for 2012via The Orient Express starting in London to Venice.

Melvyn

Melvyn, I tried to get Verona tickets back in 2002 but was unsuccessful, I hope you fare better.

My best opera experience was in Lucca, Puccini's birthplace, about an hour west of Florence on the train and a best kept secret that is now unfortunately in Rick Steves' recent issues.

We rented an apartment adjacent to the San Giorgio church and every night sat on the covered dining terrace with a bottle of wine and listened to the nightly 7 p.m. Puccini arias coming from the church.  Divine!

Phil McDade

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 10:16:23 AM »
Bill:

Did you bring home any of the local olive oil? Lucca is a wonderful town; a friend and I biked the wall around the town.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 04:29:27 PM »
Bill:

Did you bring home any of the local olive oil? Lucca is a wonderful town; a friend and I biked the wall around the town.

No, but we have a source here for Lucchese oil.  Dick Daley has friends who live there but I've been to Lucca 3x and missed them every time.

The wall is 2-1/2 miles!  Lots of locals stroll a section of it for the evening passagieta. 

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 10:15:53 PM »
Gentlemen,

My better half, Tricia, has been ever so slightly skeptical of my devotion to GCA and its adherents.  Imagine my joy when this thread appeared and I was able to inveigle her to sit down and look at these beautiful Opera house images with Puccini in the background. As an opera fanatic herself she was mightily impressed by this thread and admitted that she never thought in her wildest dreams that she would ever read a thread on GCA!
Credit to you gentlemen.

Thanks Colin0
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

John Mayhugh

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 10:33:14 PM »
Wow, that's one expensive book. Some incredible pictures.

I've never been to a single opera. Quite a few years ago I was passing through Verona and there was an opera going on in the arena there.  The energy in the town in the surrounding area was inspiring and I really wanted to go, but tickets were long gone.  One day, maybe.  Have a great trip, Melvyn.

James Bennett

Re: O/T, Books at Christmas New
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 11:50:35 PM »
well done Tony, apart from those comments about Australia that is........

I visited the Verona ampitheatre in 1989 - very impressive.

And, I have been to an opera in the Sydney Opera House, as well as many in Adelaide's festival Theatre.  Drinks at the Opera House at intermission looking over the harbour to the northside is pretty cool.  The wall paper (or was it carpet) is/?was based on a drunk looking up from the bottom of the harbour - pretty cool.

James B

Edit - after looking at the images, I apologise for mentioning Sydney and Adelaide in this thread.  Man there are some magnificent opera houses there.  My OZ Opera houses are modern minimalists by comparison...even if one has a harbour view.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 11:58:50 PM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back