News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Blakeney and Cley
« on: January 30, 2011, 02:55:41 PM »
In a list of extinct golf clubs and courses I noticed Blakeney and Cley. I stumbled across an article about the club written only last year by Philip Page and John Peake in ‘The Glaven Historian’, the journal of the Blakeney Area Historical Society No 12 2010.

You would hardly think that there was room for a golf course amid the salt marshes of Blakeney and Cley, but there was! What’s more Philip Page was a member before the club folded and has been able to bring first-hand knowledge to this article. I’ll not reproduce it. Those who want to read the whole thing can buy their own copies of the journal from the Crabpot bookshop in the Cley High Street. These, however, are the facts that are relevant to us:

The club was founded in the 1890s and opened in 1895. The 9-hole course had two bogey threes, the 1st and 7th, two bogey fives, the 2nd and 6th, the remainder being fours. There was a ladies’ croquet lawn and also tennis courts. There was an artisans’ club, Blakeney Workingmen’s Golf Club, and when the Blakeney Regatta took place some of the land-based sports events were held on the golf course. The land was rented at a very reasonable sum from a local farmer whose sheep helped maintain the fairways by grazing during the week. The groundsman had no mechanically-driven equipment.

The Second World War ended the club when the course was heavily mined against possible invasion. By the time the mines had been cleared after the war the land had reverted to nature. Discussion has taken place in recent years about possible restoration and there is interest from a local hotel, but as the National Trust now looks after this land as a nature reserve it is unlikely to come to pass. The minute book from foundation to 1938 exists and was passed to the care of the local historical society by Philip Page. (The AGM of 1938 appears to be the last entry but is was countersigned in 1939, so possibly the course survived until the actual outbreak of war).

From the map it is evident that I would have had a dreadful time on this course with my left-hander’s slice with OOB on the left of most hole. The 8th might have given Trent Jones ideas for water holes!

James Boon

Re: Blakeney and Cley
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 08:23:36 AM »
Mark,

Interesting stuff. I visited the Norfolk Wildlife Trust reserve at Cley back in November and the low lying land around there is all very wet and marshlike. It all looks like wet marshy grazing land on the current aerial photos on Google earth.  I wonder what the course was like? Perhaps reminiscent of the low lying parts of Brancaster?

Its great that you dig up some of these historic points of interest. Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 02:04:36 AM »
I saw that on your earlier lists and wondered.   A lot of the Reeds they use for thatching comes form that part of the world  the salt marshes by the sea are ideal growing land.  It’s always exposed to wind, I used to windsurf along there.  Next time I’m in the area I’ll bring your plan and my camera.

Great find Mark.

Souldbe added to Ed's thread on plans.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 10:54:51 AM »
I don't think it can have been too wet back then because sheep were grazed on the land during the week. Extracts from the minute book were printed in the article. There was a 'major flood' in 1897 and in 1898 the 8th green was damaged by 'gale and tide' and a temporary green had to be constructed. In 1900 it was noted that rabbits were still a problem. Reference to gorse to the west of the 9th green was made in 1908. Note also that discussion has taken place in recent years about restoration of the club/course, which might suggest that it's not too wet.

My sister-in-law goes there regularly and I've asked her to have a look at the minute book.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back