News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Phillips

Re: best book on golf architecture...and why?
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2002, 02:57:06 PM »
Nick,

I have a signe copy from Fred Hawtree no. 809 0f 1000 and I got it from Steve Schofield books on the internet.  I have lost his e-mail address.  If you try google though I think it comes up.

He is based in Yorkshire and is a really nice guy.  I don't think much of the book though.

Cheers Brian
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Sean Tully

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2002, 07:55:12 PM »
I came across a book titled Golf Courses: Design Construction and Upkeep that was a surprise. First edition 1933 and second 1950 it was published in Great Britain. Not  in the league with Thomas or Hunter yet it has contributions from C.H. Alison, P. Mackenzie Ross, T. Simpson, and R.T. Jones. It is a very timely book that talks about golf course architecture and the maintenance of courses during that time period.  At one point, Jones discusses risk reward VS. penal and in making his case for RR over penal he could have made one of the earliest references to framing(open to ridicule). "We have offset this to a great extent by framing the greens with long well formed mounds, placed strategically..."    Had to throw that last bit in. A interesting book overall with some diagrams and descriptions of some holes of the time period.

Will E

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2002, 08:02:14 PM »
It's not out yet but, my favorite book will be Gib's work on Raynor and MacDonald.
Did you see that Stu Cink named Golf Achitecture in America as his favorite golf book? Wonder what he thought of Riviera.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back