News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Will Spivey

Augusta Country Club
« on: November 24, 2010, 04:26:40 PM »
Augusta Country Club

Earlier this month I was fortunate enough to play Augusta Country with a fellow GCAer.  We had “Chamber of Commerce” weather; one of those fall days that make you love the south.  The course had recently been overseeded with Rye, and they were putting a ton of water down, so the fairways were a bit on the soggy side, but the greens were perfect.

ACC is a beautiful club, founded in 1899.  Originally consisting of two courses, today only one, The Hill Course, remains.  The Hill Course was designed by Donald Ross and today plays to a par of 72 and measures 6947 from the back tees.  In addition to the wonderful golf course, ACC also boasts a fine short game area.

The course is hilly, but not nearly as much so as its famous neighbor, and makes for a great walk.  The greens are large and undulating, but I would not describe most as the “inverted saucers” for which Ross is so famous.  However, many of the greens feature false fronts, some quite subtle, that repelled several my approach shots.

Here’s a quick tour of the course.  All yardages from the back tees:

No. 1, Par 4, 427 yards
Fairly typical of Ross openers, No. 1 plays slightly down hill off the tee.

Tee shot

Green

No 2, Par 4, 386

Playing uphill, there’s much more room to the right than one can see from the tee.

Tee shot

Approach

Green

No 3, Par 4, 439 yards

The tee shot plays substantially uphill, making this long hole feel even longer.  This is the #1 handicap hole

Tee shot

Approach

Green

No. 4, Par 3, 146 yards

The first par 3, which plays at least one full club longer than the yardage due to the uphill shot.

Tee

Green

No. 5, Par 5, 510 yards

This par 5 is reachable in two for longer hitters.

Tee

Approach – Note the bunkers fronting the green.  From the fairway they appear to be much closer to the green than they actually are.

Green

No 6, Par 3, 199 yards

Tee

Green

No. 7, Par 4, 345 yards

A strong par 4 that plays much longer than the yardage with a drive up a large hill to a level fairway.

Tee

Approach

Green – note the “halfway house” just back left of the green.  The locale affords spectacular vistas across the course.

No. 8, Par 5, 599 yards
A long par 5 that plays downhill the entire way.  The green sits just across Rae’s Creek, which makes this a 3 shotter for all but the very longest of hitters.  The original green was on the other side of the creek, taking some of the risk out the equation for those who may go for the green in two.

Tee

Approach

Green and Rae’s Creek

No 9, Par 4, 388 yards
Playing up hill from the lowest point on the property, the tee shot carries the crest of the hill to a canted fairway.

Tee

Approach

From the fairway, there appears to be another golf course right next door.  From the 9th fairway this course looked to be in spectacular condition, though oddly, appeared to be deserted.   ;D

Green

No 10, Par 4, 383 yards

Tee

Approach

Green

No 11, Par 5, 533 yards

Tee

Approach

Green

No 12, Par 3, 251 yards

Tee

Green

No 13, Par 4, 460 yards

Tee

Approach

Green

No. 14, Par 3, 146 yards

A nice bit of history!

Tee

Green

No 15, Par 5, 526
A great par 5 that really forces the player to think, particularly on the second shot.

Tee

Approach

Green

No. 16, Par 4, 376 yards
Another uphill hole that plays much longer than the card.  The second shot is severely uphill to a wonderful punchbowl green.

Tee

Approach

Green

No. 17, Par 4, 411 yards

Tee

Approach

Green

No. 18, Par 4, 422 yards
This downhill finisher plays a bit shorter than the card.

Tee

Approach

Green

JC Jones

Re: Augusta Country Club
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 04:41:05 PM »
Thanks for the tour, Will.  I wish I would have taken pictures when I was there so I am thankful for yours.  I really enjoyed ACC (despite the company ;))  This is very much an under the radar course and should easily be in the top 100 in my opinion.

I'm looking forward to the next time we can get out!
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Steve Kline

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 05:27:41 PM »
Looks like a really good course - and you never here it mentioned with other great/good Ross courses.

JC Jones

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 06:17:21 PM »
Looks like a really good course - and you never here it mentioned with other great/good Ross courses.

I agree, and it should be.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Jim Eder

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 07:26:14 PM »
Will,

Thanks for the great photos.  I have always wanted to see what the course is like.  It looks delightful. Thanks

John Mayhugh

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 08:25:27 PM »
Nice photos, thanks.  The plaque makes me wonder when foresome became foursome.

For those that have played both, how does Augusta CC compare to Beverly? 

Gareth Williams

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 08:07:44 AM »
Wonderful golf course and one I was delighted to have visited this September thanks to a kind invite from a fellow GCA member.

Well worth a visit.

David Camponi

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 09:05:57 AM »
love the course but my playing companion smelled weird as hell.

Kenny Baer

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 09:07:25 AM »
I really like Augusta CC despite the fact it is hillier than its neighbor.

JC Jones

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 09:16:29 AM »
I really like Augusta CC despite the fact it is hillier than its neighbor.

The always dapper KB,

I was under the impression that ACC was on less severe terrain than the neighbor. 

Jim Tang

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 09:27:35 AM »
Very cool photos!  Thanks for sharing.  Which course was established first, ACC or AN?

Mike_Young

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 09:32:48 AM »
Nice photos, thanks.  The plaque makes me wonder when foresome became foursome.

For those that have played both, how does Augusta CC compare to Beverly? 

Both are good courses....IMHO I just can't compare southern courses and Northern courses....two totally different things....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

JC Jones

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 09:34:22 AM »
Very cool photos!  Thanks for sharing.  Which course was established first, ACC or AN?

ACC was.  There was also, if I remember correctly, at Seth Raynor course there that is now a neighborhood.  The Ross course is the "Hill" course and the Raynor course was the "Lake" course.

John Keenan

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 09:37:00 AM »
Mike what is the great diffrence between North and South courses? Is i the grasses, topography or lack of Waffle Houses in the North?
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 09:55:25 AM »
What a great looking golf course! 

For the par 3 251 yard 12th hole, does the hole play the actual yardage?  Or, does it play one to two clubs less than the yardage?
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Chris Buie

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 10:51:30 AM »
That place is great - very underrated.  Would that all the worthy courses were as well tended.  Good work Will.

JC Jones

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 10:54:13 AM »

For the par 3 251 yard 12th hole, does the hole play the actual yardage?  Or, does it play one to two clubs less than the yardage?

I didn't play it all the way back but I remember hitting a 6 iron from about 185-190 so it plays about at yardage, maybe a little less.  If my memory serves me right.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2010, 07:55:16 AM »

Great pics Will, thanks for posting.

The 12th plays around 200 yards from the blue tees.  It is maybe a club or half club shorter, but not as much help as you get off the 6th tee, which can play 2 clubs shorter.  The 12th is a pretty intimidating hole when the hole location is tucked on the far left behind the bunker. 

Mark

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 10:50:28 PM »

ACC was.  There was also, if I remember correctly, at Seth Raynor course there that is now a neighborhood.  The Ross course is the "Hill" course and the Raynor course was the "Lake" course.

Is this confirmed?

If so, that would mean the current course bears no trace of Raynor.
Just want to make sure what I am saying is factual.

Jon Heise

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 10:56:47 PM »
Great golf course.  The fact it is so close to Duke's in Aiken makes it even greater...
I still like Greywalls better.

jeffwarne

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 09:13:11 AM »

Is this confirmed?

If so, that would mean the current course bears no trace of Raynor.
Just want to make sure what I am saying is factual.

Raynor had no involvement in the current course at ACC.
he designed the lake course -NLE.
Ogilvie was the original Hill course architect, with no doubt "help" from others including Ross in the 20's, Nicklaus in the 80's and the most recent version by Silva. I'm sure many other architects du jour and committees "helped" in between.
Would be hard for me to believe Cobb or another 50's/60's era architect wasn't in there somehow at some point.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Carson Pilcher

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 09:34:15 AM »
ACC is a great golf course and is maybe overshadowed by its neighbor (much like the New Course in Scotland).

And some of the best chilidogs at the half-way house anywhere.  Of course, I grew up on them so they hold a special place in my heart...literally.

jeffwarne

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 09:52:32 AM »
ACC is a great golf course and is maybe overshadowed by its neighbor (much like the New Course in Scotland).

And some of the best chilidogs at the half-way house anywhere.  Of course, I grew up on them so they hold a special place in my heart...literally.

agreed on the chili dogs.
but it has ruined me for every chili dog anywhere else.....
the old cabbage patch had a pretty good one
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 10:10:10 AM »

And some of the best chilidogs at the half-way house anywhere. 

Had one Saturday! 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back