News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

William_G

Eugene Country Club: Fairway bunker moved on #4 (pics!)
« on: November 25, 2010, 03:43:49 PM »
As the better players were consistently flying the fairway bunker with their drives on #4, the green committee at the suggestion of Casey Martin, the Univ. of Oregon Men's Golf coach, decided to move the the faiway bunker further away from the tee.

The old position was about 240 out from the blue tee, while the new position is about 275-280.

John Harbottle, our current architect of record, did the design and was on site during the shaping and placement.

The new bunker looks great and accomplishes 2 things, its now in play for the better players and out of play for the shorter hitters.

Before:

During:

After:

Looks good!

Thanks. Happy Thanksgiving!

« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 05:11:03 AM by William Grieve »
It's all about the golf!

Mike McGuire

Re: Eugene Country Club: Fairway bunker moved on #4 (pics!)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 09:40:33 AM »

Not much of a hazard for a good player - I prefer bunkers that are in the ground (deep) vs. shallow ones on top of mounds.

William_G

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 09:54:15 AM »

Not much of a hazard for a good player - I prefer bunkers that are in the ground (deep) vs. shallow ones on top of mounds.
yes, long thick rough could be more difficult, but more average players were in a bunker 150 out more often than the good players, so now its a 100+ yard bunker shot for the better player. thanks
It's all about the golf!

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 09:59:02 AM »

Mike,

If the soil condition are not freely draining, then bunkers need to be built into mounds, so that the bottom of the bunker has positive drainage to the nearest outlet. Otherwise, rain/irrigation water would get trapped in the bunkers, creating miserable playing conditions.

TK

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back