News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom MacWood (Guest)

Biarritz and North Berwick
« on: February 23, 2002, 08:08:00 AM »
I understand the 12th hole (or 3rd) at Biarritz France is the model for Macdonald's Biarritz. I have seen old photos of the hole but it is difficult to make out if the hole had a swale. Does the the original Biarritz in France have a swale or did Macdonald borrow that feature from another hole?

The 16th at North Berwick has a swale - when was that hole built and by whom? I assume the Biarritz course predates the 16th at North Berwick - but maybe not. Didn't Willie Dunn build Biarritz course, I believe he was from North Berwick? I do know about a year ago I read that North Berwick was known as the Biarritz of Scotland and shared that fact on similar thread. The whole thing is quite confusing and I was wondering if anyone knew the answers to some of these questions?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Neil Crafter

Re: Biarritz and North Berwick
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2002, 03:49:38 PM »
Tom
I believe the man with the answers to your questions is one George Bahto. George has agreed to do an article this year on the Biarritz hole and its origins and duplicates for our Golf Architecture magazine next issue, continuing the series I started on the Redan last time.

If I understand correctly, the 16th green at North Berwick was built in the 30's by Tom Simpson ( I stand to be corrected by any people with authoritative info on this) and thus does not predate the original Biarritz hole/green in France. Although that green at NB almost fritzed my brain cells when I saw it for the first time in '94 - couldn't believe anyone could build a green like that!

George may wish to add afew comments if he reads this.
cheers
Neil

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2002, 10:48:03 AM »
Neil,

Assuming you are correct (which is fascinating info!), Simpson should be heralded for having the genius to build an angled Biarritz green like that on a non-par three hole. Wonder why Macdonald nor Raynor never so experimented?

Some like the Sea 2nd, many like the Pit 13th, some prefer Perfection 14th, most would pick the Redan 15th but I personally would pick the Gate 16th at North Berwick as my favorite hole on the course.

I wish there were more holes like it - it would be a great green to see here in the sandy environs of Pinehurst!

Cheers,
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:02 PM by -1 »

R.S. Barker

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2002, 03:41:11 PM »
As far as I know, the Biarritz hole in France DOES refer to the ocean between the teebox and the green complex itself. George Bahto referred to that in his interview, and it makes sense that the water would be " the swale " between the tee and green in that situation.

I really can not see the hole having that type of carry, and then forcing the player to consider tackling the swale on the green as well, and then having to attempt the normal tactics employed to conquer a Biarritz.

Imagine hitting a shot over the ocean, and then trying to get the ball to hit on the front part of the green, roll down into the swale ( unseeded at that time ), and then trickle back up on the rear pinned location.

OR

Hitting a shot that clears the front green on the fly, landing on the facing mound of the swale, and killing the forward momentum, thus allowing the ball to again trickle up onto the rear pinned area.

OR

Flying a high fade or draw to the back pin position, using the slight uphill green as a backstop and hopefully stop it on a dime.

Do all that at a time in the history of golf, where a 190 yard carry was at the extremes of most golfer's abilities.

With that all in mind, I would logically say that the original Biarritz hole did not have a swale....but as has happened before, I could be wrong..8)

kilfara

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2002, 04:54:13 AM »
Ran,

I like your thinking. I like all of the holes you've mentioned at North Berwick, but there's something about the 16th green - the way it's angled, the approaches it requires - which is quite special. The interesting thing is that you could build greens similar to it on any flat/dull property (the 16th fairway at NB isn't really any great shakes, is it?) for minimal cost and could really create a bit of character. That would be an interesting exercise in architecture - you could make a really unique course out of any bit of disused farmland with 18 quirky, Macdonald/Raynor/North Berwick-style greens, couldn't you?

Cheers,
Darren

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back