News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Freeman

Re: 2nd Annual Midwest Mashie - May 21-22nd
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2011, 03:45:02 PM »
Gents,

An updated list of Mashie attendants.  Please comment on its accurateness.  Also, let me know if I screwed up any East/West designations.

EAST

Brian Joines
Ari Techner
Bill Steele
Ken Fry
John Mayhugh
Brad Tufts
Morgan Clawson
Jonathan Becker
Brad Fleischer
Mike McGuire
Buck Wolter
Mike Hogan
Criss Titschinger
Mark Pearce
Eric Smith
Patrick Kiser
Chris Shaida
Andy Ryall
Matt Schmidt
David Plassman
Dan Kelly + 1
David Egan
Ben Kodadek

WEST

Jud T.
Pat C.
Paul Thomas
Shelly Solow
Chris Flamion
Eric Terhorst
Andrew Lewis
Bill Seitz
Zack Molnar
Jon Winick
Steve Salman
Rob Bice
Sven  Nilsen
Andrew Calcutt
Mark Smolens
Dan Moore
Matt Sander
Phil McDade
John Kavanaugh
Ward Peyronnin
Ted Cahill
Rick Shefchik
Patrick Hodgdon
Jeff Shelman
Shane Wright

Cheers,

George
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 06:25:08 PM by George Freeman »
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2011, 05:43:10 PM »
George,

Count me in.  I am not offering the blackball option on this occasion.

George Freeman

« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2011, 08:35:15 PM »
George,

Count me in.  I am not offering the blackball option on this occasion.

Got it.  Glad you can make it John.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

JR Potts

« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2011, 09:01:40 PM »
Unfortunately I have to erase my penciling-in.  Wish I could make but I have a conflict.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2011, 04:12:36 PM »
George

The Victoria Golf community has asked me to chaperone Mr Kavanaugh. Where do i send my chek?

Ward Peyronnin
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

George Freeman

« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2011, 04:39:49 PM »
George

The Victoria Golf community has asked me to chaperone Mr Kavanaugh. Where do i send my chek?

Ward Peyronnin

Ward,

I've got you marked down.  As far as I know, everyone will pay when they arrive (the less money I touch the better!).  I'll advise the group once we get closer to showtime.

- George
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2011, 05:09:18 PM »
George-

How is the East/West split geoprahically?

I noticed you have the Twin Cities guys on the East team but would think it is considered to be located in the Western portion of the "Midwest."

I'm just excited to play golf so it doesn't really matter to me and was simply just curious how you drew up the split without such a convenient pre-existing line like the Dixie's Cup's Mason-Dixson line.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Mark Smolens

« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2011, 05:55:03 PM »
George, Pat, Dan Moore, other Lawsonia devotees,
     We're just over three months away from Midwest Mashie -- and I'm already rereading the gca description of the course for the third time. Though there are four lodging options listed in the original pos for this event, there's no mention or ratings of that local lodging on Lawsonia's spartan website.
     Wondering if you guys who've been there before could provide some of us Lawsonia newbies with some input on the housing options -- quality, distance from course. I did see, for example, that the Heidel House, has some type of golf package. Is that a viable option, or is our event already booked specifically and directly with the course? Would the fact that we'll have some 40 people coming to town in mid-May provide an incentive for one of these places to offer us a group discount?

George Freeman

« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2011, 05:58:31 PM »
George-

How is the East/West split geoprahically?

I noticed you have the Twin Cities guys on the East team but would think it is considered to be located in the Western portion of the "Midwest."

I'm just excited to play golf so it doesn't really matter to me and was simply just curious how you drew up the split without such a convenient pre-existing line like the Dixie's Cup's Mason-Dixson line.

Patrick,

The East/West separation was a crap shoot.  I put down the guys whose hometowns I know and completely guessed on the rest. 

Everyone, please let me know if your respective team placement should be switched.  It will never be perfect, but I'm sure it can get more accurate than it is now.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

George Freeman

« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2011, 06:00:18 PM »
     We're just over three months away from Midwest Mashie -- and I'm already rereading the gca description of the course for the third time. Though there are four lodging options listed in the original pos for this event, there's no mention or ratings of that local lodging on Lawsonia's spartan website.
     Wondering if you guys who've been there before could provide some of us Lawsonia newbies with some input on the housing options -- quality, distance from course. I did see, for example, that the Heidel House, has some type of golf package. Is that a viable option, or is our event already booked specifically and directly with the course? Would the fact that we'll have some 40 people coming to town in mid-May provide an incentive for one of these places to offer us a group discount?

Mark,

I can't comment on any of the lodging options as I have never stayed in Green Lake.  Currently we do not have a deal set up with any hotel (the $117 is just golf and dinner on Sat), however I do think that is a good idea and something I will look into.  Hopefully I'll have information to report back sometime soon.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2011, 06:03:26 PM »
George, I live in Stillwater, MN, near the Twin Cities -- west of Lawsonia, if you're re-jiggering the team, and if it matters. I would be happy to play for the pride of the Western United States/Canada/Mexico, but if the East needs me, I shall give it my all.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

George Freeman

« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2011, 06:05:05 PM »
George, I live in Stillwater, MN, near the Twin Cities -- west of Lawsonia, if you're re-jiggering the team, and if it matters. I would be happy to play for the pride of the Western United States/Canada/Mexico, but if the East needs me, I shall give it my all.

Done and done.

Thanks Rick
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Matthew Sander

« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2011, 06:13:35 PM »
George,

Currently reside in the Chicago burbs, originally from Batesville, IN which is near Cincinnati. Do with me what you will...if you're interesed in winning, you might want to send me eastward!

Matt

Mike Hogan

« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2011, 06:39:13 PM »
Hi George,
 Another Minnesotan looking to switch to the West..If they will have me.
Thanks
Mike

JC Jones

« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2011, 06:48:13 PM »
George

Ward Peyronnin

That is like the blind leading the blind.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2011, 07:24:04 PM »
Mark,

I think Pat Craig would be the "go to" guy for lodging.  He gave me a nice heads up on some hotspots earlier this year.

I stayed at The Green Lake Inn.  It's a motel, make no mistake about it.  However, it has been recently "updated."  It was perhaps the cleanest room I've ever stayed in.  You can tell that the owner's take pride in that fact.  It would be very suitable for a couple decent nights' sleep after multiple rounds of golf (and cocktails). 

Additionally, it's in a great location. 

Phil McDade

« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2011, 08:39:19 PM »

Mark:
The Green Lake chamber runs this website and is helpful via emails and phone if you have questions; for a small outfit, they are pretty good.

http://visitgreenlake.com/

Heidel House is obviously at the top end in the area. The Lawsonia resort has alot of housing options, and some folks in the past have gotten together on a house or cabin. Just check on the Lawsonia webpage for their lodging options. There is (allegedly) a ban on alcohol in Lawsonia lodgings proper, atlhough whether that's strictly observed by all parties is another matter.

PCCraig

« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2011, 09:50:59 PM »

Mark:

The last time I was up there overnight for a guys trip, we stayed at the Green Lake Inn (www.greenlakeinn.com) and everyone liked it. It's bare bones but clean, inexpensive, and very close to the golf course.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
H.P.S.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2011, 04:48:33 AM »
Pat,

I think the correct domain name is www.greenlakeinn.org .  The .com appears to be for sale!

As to allegiances, I don't have a dog in the fight, you're all damn rebels to me.  I'm happy to go into bat for whoever needs me.  Know that I will give my all for either side, though.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 06:00:08 AM by Mark Pearce »
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2011, 01:02:44 PM »

Twin Cities here also, as is Jeff Shelman and Shane Wright.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Dan Kelly

« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2011, 01:50:09 PM »
This just goes to show how little I've been at gca.com lately!

This is all news to me.

Any openings, still? I'm checking my calendar (one daughter graduating; the other playing in the NCAA Div. IIIs -- but I think this weekend is open, and I'm certainly interested)

Western suburb of Minneapolis, if that matters. Naturally, I would prefer to play for the virtuous West against the effete East. (Kidding, of course. The eastern Midwest is only marginally less virtuous than the western Midwest.)

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 02:36:20 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

George Freeman

« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2011, 04:51:34 PM »

This is all news to me.

Any openings, still? I'm checking my calendar (one daughter graduating; the other playing in the NCAA Div. IIIs -- but I think this weekend is open, and I'm certainly interested)

Western suburb of Minneapolis, if that matters. Naturally, I would prefer to play for the virtuous West against the effete East. (Kidding, of course. The eastern Midwest is only marginally less virtuous than the western Midwest.)

Thanks.

Dan,

There is still some room.  Let me know if you can make it.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Dan Kelly

« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2011, 06:00:30 PM »

This is all news to me.

Thanks.

Dan,

There is still some room.  Let me know if you can make it.

Shall do, ASAP. I do have a conflict -- but it's unclear, as of today, whether it's irreconcilable.

One question: Is this open only to gca.commers?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

George Freeman

« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2011, 10:23:17 PM »
Shall do, ASAP. I do have a conflict -- but it's unclear, as of today, whether it's irreconcilable.

One question: Is this open only to gca.commers?

Dan,

No, it's not strictly limited to GCAers, although the general gist of the event is for GCAers to get together, get to meet each other, have fun and play some good golf.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2011, 12:03:42 PM »
My pencil in is more of an inked in now. I'll probably arrive that Thursday and play a round or two on Friday, if anyone's interested. I'm fairly open to where those round(s) could be.

Google Maps has me around 8-8.5 hours from Cincinnati, so I probably won't stay too much past Sunday, but I could make arrangements to play more.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back