News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Franzen

Top 25 greatest architects of all time
« on: June 10, 2007, 01:54:27 PM »
It has probably been mentioned here before, but I just want to plug Ian Andrew's countdown of "The 25 greatest architects of all time". Personally, I don't care too much about if xx should be rated over yy but I really find a lot of enjoyment from reading Ian's well written analysis of their respective careers.

Keep up the good work, Ian.

http://thecaddyshack.blogspot.com

Adam Clayman

Re:Top 25 greatest architects of all time
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 03:33:01 PM »
Top Notch Ian

Learning about these great artists sure is fascinating.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Doug Ralston

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 06:13:00 PM »
Up to #17 ..... exciting!

Wonder when Arthur Hills will come in?  ;)

Doug

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 06:47:45 PM »
Ian - thanks very much for your fine work on this. What a great read! (And Eric, thanks for posting it.)

Not just because he's the most recent one up, but I wanted to say something about Fowler....I think I'd like his courses a lot, i.e

"...his choice to often let natural grasses or native plants supply the contrast on a wide open site rather than adding bunkers or features that would supply a little extra definition to a hole..."

It sounds very peaceful. A golf course should bring a fella some peace, I think.

Thanks again; look forward to the whole list

Peter

Ian Andrew

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 10:07:49 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.

I'll confess - I'm way over my head on this one. I’m always stuck for new ideas and prefer to find a new series to avoid trying to come up with a new idea each day. I thought it would be a really interesting idea to go through the dead architects and try to place them in history - but all it did was once again explain to me in great detail how little I know. I began with all architects and quickly realized the trouble I would get into.

I wish Tom, Ran or someone else would have done this instead, but they’re probably smart enough not to.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 10:31:29 PM »
This is fabulous stuff. I really enjoyed it. Really, really good. The 5th at Gleneagles certainly looks intimidating. I loved the 13th at Gleneagles as well, but I remember it as Braid's Brawest. Did they change the name? It would be a shame if they did.

Doug,

This is the TOP 25 of all-time. ;D

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 12:30:23 AM »
Ian:

One of the golf magazines (not one of the big ones) tried to enlist me over the winter to help them with a ranking of architects, which I declined.  I don't know how you can do it.  I'm happy to compare and judge courses, but an architect is only as good as his next course ... and all the guys you are ranking are dead, so I can safely say I'd kick their butts.

Tom MacWood

Re: Top 25 greatest architects of all time
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 11:01:00 AM »
Speaking of T. Bendelow and his inclusion into the golf hall of fame here is an old thread relating to Ian Andrews' interesting list from his blog. I believe eight of the 25 are in the Hall, though three or four are in probably more on their golfing accomplishments.  

25. Mike Strantz
24. Herbert Leeds
23. Henry Fownes
22. Max Behr
21. Herbert Strong
20. Hugh Wilson
19. James Braid
18. Walter Travis
17. Old Tom Morris
16. George Crump
15. Herbert Fowler
14. William Langford
13. Tom Simpson
12. Willie Park Jr.
11. Charles Alison
10. William Flynn
9. Perry Maxwell
8. Seth Raynor
7. Stanley Thompson
6. Donald Ross
5. George Thomas
4. Charles Blair MacDonald
3. A. W. Tillinghast
2. H. S. Colt
1. Alister Mackenzie

J Sadowsky

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 11:28:18 AM »
Speaking of T. Bendelow and his inclusion into the golf hall of fame here is an old thread relating to Ian Andrews' interesting list from his blog. I believe eight of the 25 are in the Hall, though three or four are in probably more on their golfing accomplishments.  

25. Mike Strantz
24. Herbert Leeds
23. Henry Fownes
22. Max Behr
21. Herbert Strong
20. Hugh Wilson
19. James Braid
18. Walter Travis
17. Old Tom Morris
16. George Crump
15. Herbert Fowler
14. William Langford
13. Tom Simpson
12. Willie Park Jr.
11. Charles Alison
10. William Flynn
9. Perry Maxwell
8. Seth Raynor
7. Stanley Thompson
6. Donald Ross
5. George Thomas
4. Charles Blair MacDonald
3. A. W. Tillinghast
2. H. S. Colt
1. Alister Mackenzie

Too high:  Crump and Fownes.  Yes, yes, Pine Valley/Oakmont.  But they are, at the end of the day, one course each.  I'm not sure the body of work is enough (and while I know Crump had his fair share of help, I don't know enough of the history to know how much).
Too low:  Strantz
Way too low: Morris.  Ian had him at 9 and I thought that was low.  Are you trying to be contrarian?

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 11:36:07 AM »

Lists are always interesting but as lists do they tell us much - my opinion is no. But if we put a timeline through each it might give a more interesting perspective – just a thought

Melvyn

Anthony Gray

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 12:16:26 PM »

I would imagine the list would start with Old Tom if you were ranking them.

Anthony

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 12:26:30 PM »
Once again, William Harries gets overlooked...ah, the indignity of it all.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jud_T

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 01:51:16 PM »
Colt and Tillinghast above MacDonald?  Strantz above Doak and C&C?  Am I on the right website?  Seriously, I've enjoyed the writeups for a while Ian, even if some here would debate the rankings....Also glad to see Langford get his proper due...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 01:53:25 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Thomas McQuillan

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 02:24:32 PM »
no architechts currently practising were included on the list.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 02:28:00 PM »

I would imagine the list would start with Old Tom if you were ranking them.

Anthony

Why?

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 03:04:23 PM »

Anthony

If you are going to start then it should be with Allan Robertson, followed by Old Tom, but Allan first even though he took Old Tom with him on his design projects. Old Tom was soon to out shine Allan with Prestwick 1851, Earlsferry Links  re design in 1858 RND 1860 and so on. Not forgetting Dunfermiline, North Berwick West, Buchie and the other 100 plus.   

Have I mention that Allan and Old Tom were related (family), in that a Margaret Morris married a Robertson (both of St Andrews) with the profession of Mr Robertson being a ball making in St Andrews in the 18th Century, that Roberson I note was Allans grandfather.

Melvyn

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back