News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ari Techner

Creek Club Locust Valley NY
« on: October 25, 2010, 06:51:45 PM »
I was lucky enough to get in a round this past weekend at the Creek Club in Locust Valley NY.  It was my second round there and to be honest I cannot understand why this course does not get more love.  I am a big fan of Macdonald and Raynor and have played many of their courses including a few that are very highly ranked.  I think Creek is just amazing.  Definitely behind National Golf Links and Fisher's Island but better than all the rest except maybe Chicago GC which is as different from Creek as can be.  The first 5 holes are really good but holes 6-18 are just fantastic and on land that is world class.  Holes 10 and 11 are almost literally in Long Island sound.  6 has one of the best greens I have ever seen.  Maybe the club wants it this way but I wonder why this course does not get more acclaim.  If anyone is in the area and can get out there I would strongly urge you to check it out.  
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 10:14:54 PM by Ari Techner »

Dan Herrmann

Re: Creek Club Locust Valley NY
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 06:54:02 PM »
Ari - do they have a website?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 06:56:28 PM »
Ari,

I think # 17 and # 18 are on the weak side when raters evaluate the course.

I too love the golf course and the windy environment.

# 17 used to be entirely surrounded by a bunker and I believe it had the classic horseshoe ridge within the putting surface.
I cannot understand why that feature hasn't been restored.

If # 1 had a little more length it would be a spectacular opening hole.

Ari Techner

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 06:57:30 PM »
Dan,

Their website is http://www.creek.net/Home-1.html though there is not much info on there for non members.

Ari Techner

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 07:02:24 PM »
Ari,

I think # 17 and # 18 are on the weak side when raters evaluate the course.

I too love the golf course and the windy environment.

# 17 used to be entirely surrounded by a bunker and I believe it had the classic horseshoe ridge within the putting surface.
I cannot understand why that feature hasn't been restored.

If # 1 had a little more length it would be a spectacular opening hole.

Pat,

I am not sure when the last time you played there was but the 17th green definitely has the horseshoe ridge now.  It is not super deep but is definitely there.  Also, the bunkers go all the way around the front and sides of the green other than a small grass walkway in the front middle of the green.  There is no bunker in back.  (It seems like the moat bunker going all the way around the green on these "Short" holes has been lost on pretty much all of them as I dont think people feel comfortable walking through the bunker to get to the green anymore)  I personally think it is a great "Short" and a great 17th hole. 

I also really like 18 but I tend to like extremely uphill approach shots.  

Agreed on 1, the green complex is fantastic as is the bunkering.  If I had to identify a weak hole or 2 out there I would say 2 and 3 are a little weaker than the rest of the course but still really good holes.  The land that 1-5 are on is clearly not in the same league as 6-18.  
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 07:06:02 PM by Ari Techner »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 07:11:31 PM »
Ari,

It's certainly the kind of course you could play every day and never tire of it

I think the topside 5 holes could use a little help, they form a rather benign introduction before taking the plunge.

C. Squier

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 07:26:32 PM »
I've only played once and I really enjoyed the golf course.....but "world class land"?  You lose me there Ari  8)

Ari Techner

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 07:33:18 PM »
I've only played once and I really enjoyed the golf course.....but "world class land"?  You lose me there Ari  8)

I think the sandy soil, views of Long Island sound, natural (or somewhat natural) saltwater marshes that run in and out of holes 10 - 14, actual "ocean" frontage along the beach and natural hills qualify as world class land.  Atleast IMO.  Compare that with the other Macdonald and or Raynor courses that are ranked higher (other than National and Fisher's Island) and there is no comparison in the land.  Again IMO.  

EDIT... added Fisher's Island to National above
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 08:01:31 PM by Ari Techner »

David Stamm

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 07:34:41 PM »
I think the topside 5 holes could use a little help, they form a rather benign introduction before taking the plunge.

Pat, how do you feel about the 4th (Eden)? I thought it was rather good, and love the approach to 5. I agree with you, if the first was longer it would probably be mentioned in the "Best Opening Holes" discussions. I love The Creek Club. The 6th green is just amazing and the 15th is a fantastic hole. They need to bring the horseshoe back on 17, and the Biarritz is not the best example (although it's the only one I've played), but the course is very, very fun and it has one of the best locker rooms I've seen.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Ari Techner

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 07:36:52 PM »

I agree, there is no comparison to the first 5 holes and the last 13 especially in the land used.  Its too bad there was not enough land to route 18 after the "plunge" as you call it.  However compare the first 5 holes to say most of the holes at Camargo Club which is very highly ranked and I do not think they really suffer from a lack of interest. 

C. Squier

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 07:37:58 PM »
I've only played once and I really enjoyed the golf course.....but "world class land"?  You lose me there Ari  8)

I think the sandy soil, views of Long Island sound, natural (or somewhat natural) saltwater marshes that run in and out of holes 10 - 14, actual "ocean" frontage along the beach and natural hills qualify as world class land.  Atleast IMO.  Compare that with the other Macdonald and or Raynor courses that are ranked higher (other than National) and there is no comparison in the land.  Again IMO. 

I tend to agree CB/Seth didn't always have the very best land to work with.....have you played Camargo?  I tend to think that was some of Raynor's best land he had to work with.  Would be interested in the comparison if you have.  

#6 at the Creek is one of the most memorable holes on Long Island, IMO.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 07:39:16 PM »
David,

I like the 4th hole, it's a decent par 3.

I'd love the approach to the 5th green if they'd get rid of the large tree behind the green and top off other trees on the left of # 6, making for a great skyline green from the left side of the fairway.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 07:41:25 PM »
My observations from my trip this Fall:

1.  The opening holes are definitely the least interesting property and least interesting holes.

2.  The open sandy areas later in the round are fabulous.

3.  I loved the 6th and 16th holes.  Absolute gems, world class holes.

4.  I didn't think much of the short par 4 10th...what is the proper play, anyway ? 5 iron?

5.  The 220yd par3 biarritz Island Green 11th is a lot of architecture...I left iffy after one play.  

6.  The greens were insanely fast...had to be 13 or 14 on the stimp...very difficult on the first time player (I didn't know which side was the proper miss).

7.  An enjoyable walk.

8.  Overall, a very fun day and very nice course.  I doubt anyone would be disappointed to spend a few hours there and I would be pleased to go back.

Bart

Ari Techner

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 07:51:27 PM »

I think the sandy soil, views of Long Island sound, natural (or somewhat natural) saltwater marshes that run in and out of holes 10 - 14, actual "ocean" frontage along the beach and natural hills qualify as world class land.  Atleast IMO.  Compare that with the other Macdonald and or Raynor courses that are ranked higher (other than National) and there is no comparison in the land.  Again IMO. 

I tend to agree CB/Seth didn't always have the very best land to work with.....have you played Camargo?  I tend to think that was some of Raynor's best land he had to work with.  Would be interested in the comparison if you have.  

I have played Camargo a couple times.  I really enjoy it, great golf course.  However I left slightly disappointed as I had extremely high expectations based on its ranking and the courses that it was ranked higher than.  Going by the old GCA standard of "how many rounds on each out of 10" Id go 8-2 or 7-3 in favor of Creek Club personally.  Have you played St Louis CC or Lookout Mountain?  I think those 2 are great pieces of land that MacDonald and or Raynor worked on but I guess I like more dramatic elevation changes rather than the subtlety of Camargo.   

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 07:56:14 PM »

Ari, Fishers Island has a decent piece of property.

I really enjoyed Creek Club and agree with many of your comments otherwise. The Eden #4 is a decent rendition; a few tweaks away from star status.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Ari Techner

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 08:00:40 PM »
I've only played once and I really enjoyed the golf course.....but "world class land"?  You lose me there Ari  8)

I think the sandy soil, views of Long Island sound, natural (or somewhat natural) saltwater marshes that run in and out of holes 10 - 14, actual "ocean" frontage along the beach and natural hills qualify as world class land.  Atleast IMO.  Compare that with the other Macdonald and or Raynor courses that are ranked higher (other than National) and there is no comparison in the land.  Again IMO.  

Ari, Fishers Island has a decent piece of property.

I really enjoyed Creek Club and agree with many of your comments otherwise. The Eden #4 is a decent rendition; a few tweaks away from star status.

Fisher's Island is an amazing piece of property, one of the best I have ever seen.  I am sorry for the omission.  I guess maybe I thought that went without saying.  I added it to my post above.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 08:03:47 PM by Ari Techner »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 08:02:44 PM »
Bart,

With decent wind velocities, which are normal at that site, holes # 6, 7, 8, 9, especially 10 and 11, 12, and 13 become more than interesting and more than challenging.

What was the wind like on the day you played. ?

Bart Bradley

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 08:17:14 PM »
Bart,

With decent wind velocities, which are normal at that site, holes # 6, 7, 8, 9, especially 10 and 11, 12, and 13 become more than interesting and more than challenging.

What was the wind like on the day you played. ?

The wind was significant.  20mph or so.  I agree that the holes were very challenging.  I agree that 6-9 and 12 and 13 were absolutely great.  10 was downwind, probably reachable but lots of trouble and 11 nearly dead into the wind.  My second try  :o with a 3 wood managed to get to 25 feet...two putt par.  Pat, is a 220 yd island green a good idea?  I said iffy, because I felt like I needed a lot more exposure to the hole to understand its qualities (good and bad). 

Bart

C. Squier

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 08:25:35 PM »

I have played Camargo a couple times.  I really enjoy it, great golf course.  However I left slightly disappointed as I had extremely high expectations based on its ranking and the courses that it was ranked higher than.  Going by the old GCA standard of "how many rounds on each out of 10" Id go 8-2 or 7-3 in favor of Creek Club personally.  Have you played St Louis CC or Lookout Mountain?  I think those 2 are great pieces of land that MacDonald and or Raynor worked on but I guess I like more dramatic elevation changes rather than the subtlety of Camargo.   

I've played St. Louis, but did so with a 102* temperature....so I can't say I remember the topography with great detail.   

Anywho, I think the 2 (or 3) really different land "environments" at Creek is very unique and gave the first time player the "what's behind the next corner" all the way around the course.  That's a great feeling and one that can't be replicated....so I'll concede that the property/routing was well unified by Raynor. 

Brad LeClair

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 09:00:14 PM »
I found the back right hole location to be exceptionally fun to play into, almost having "redan-like" design aspects.  My favorite holes were #6 and #15.  A front hole location on #15 could yield an easy birdie for a perfectly struck shot or a double or worse for the approach that falls just short.  All-in-all an exceptional walk and a treat to play.

Dean Paolucci

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 09:41:26 PM »
I truly enjoyed the template holes.  The Club hired Adam Wilkins from Pine Valley as their superintendant and he has added an element of polish to the delightful layout.

DEAN
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 09:56:04 PM »
I was lucky enough to get in a round this past weekend at the Creek Club in Locust Valley NY.  It was my second round there and to be honest I cannot understand why this course does not get more love.  I am a big fan of Macdonald and Raynor and have played many of their courses including a few that are very highly ranked.  I think Creek is just amazing.  Definitely behind National Golf Links but better than all the rest except maybe Chicago GC which is as different from Creek as can be.  The first 5 holes are really good but holes 6-18 are just fantastic and on land that is world class.  Holes 10 and 11 are almost literally in Long Island sound.  6 has one of the best greens I have ever seen.  Maybe the club wants it this way but I wonder why this course does not get more acclaim.  If anyone is in the area and can get out there I would strongly urge you to check it out. 

Ari,

Have you played Piping Rock? Goodness knows The Creek has been good to me and my family as a non-member, but Piping Rock is rock solid from 1-18. Yale and Fishers  on the other side of Long Island Sound are also tough to compare with when you go 1-18. Even the updated Sleepy Hollow would give The Creek a run for its money as an all around club.

A little dated and I do love the place but The Creek has some tough competition in the MacRaynorBanks family:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,19684.0/

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2010, 10:32:20 PM »
The main problem as far as repect is concerned is location--there are 2 much superior golf courses in the same neighborhood.  Piping Rock has no weak holes and some great ones.  Engineers is still a few notches higher in greatness.   The Creek tends to get great respect because of its location on the Sound and prestige of its membership. No doubt holes 6-16 are in the all world category.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2010, 10:33:47 PM »
Engineers is still a few notches higher in greatness.   

I hear there is a meeting Wednesday night. True?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2010, 10:40:44 PM »
The main problem as far as repect is concerned is location--there are 2 much superior golf courses in the same neighborhood.  Piping Rock has no weak holes and some great ones.  Engineers is still a few notches higher in greatness.   The Creek tends to get great respect because of its location on the Sound and prestige of its membership. No doubt holes 6-16 are in the all world category.

Robert,

I will agree with Engineers as a gotta-see-it-once-in-your-lifetime course, which Piping Rock and The Creek, with the Raynor standards, are not.  But I can't agree that Engineers is a better golf course.  I've played all three more than once, and I'd go back to The Creek first, if I wasn't working down the road.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back