News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

American golf associations
« on: November 03, 2010, 07:53:17 PM »
There is a thread running currently entitled Philadephia CC that mentions the GAP winter series tournaments.

It got me thinking about the origination of various American golf associations----how old some of them are considering golf in America isn't more than about 120 years old (the Golf Association of Philadelphia is about 113 years old) and also how some of them and their histories and purposes really do reflect the cultures of America and their regions, certainly with golf.

The thing that has always struck me is how quickly and also how dedicatedly the inclination to play tournament golf caught on in America because most all of those old regional associations were basically formed to promote tournament play, and fundamentally that's what they still are. The other thing that is striking is that women were just as much into it from the beginning as men were.

There's a lot to consider with the histories of some of those old associations and how they reflected the histories and evolution of their societies and cultures in their particular regions.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 08:22:43 PM by TEPaul »

JC Jones

Re: American golf associations
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 08:19:01 PM »
Perhaps because Americans have an unwavering need to determine who/what is best?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 08:25:56 PM »
JC:

I'm not sure an unwavering need to determine who/what is best is particularly unique to Americans.  ;)

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 09:20:09 PM »
Tom,
I think GAP is the class of US golf associations.  It fosters friendship and competition among men that clubs ranging from our country's best to your average public course.

I know I'll never be able to win a GAP event, but I can play in GAP interclub matches, and have a great time.  Winning is more fun, but you can have a great time in losing too.  It's really all about being a great host or a humble visitor.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 09:32:21 PM »
Tom,
I think GAP is the class of US golf associations.  It fosters friendship and competition among men that clubs ranging from our country's best to your average public course.

I know I'll never be able to win a GAP event, but I can play in GAP interclub matches, and have a great time.  Winning is more fun, but you can have a great time in losing too.  It's really all about being a great host or a humble visitor.

I think the Northern California GA is in the same territory as GAP and maybe a better deal as they own two courses. I was a member for one year back in the day, and they seem to go the extra yard same as the GAP.

JC Jones

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 09:35:13 PM »
Tom,

I think the Northern California GA is in the same territory as GAP and maybe a better deal as they own two courses. I was a member for one year back in the day, and they seem to go the extra yard same as the GAP.

::)  shocking. 
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 10:15:35 PM »
One thing we know about Sheridan Park golfers is ... they always make proclamations only after having studiously researched every available option/resolution.  Therefore (wait for it...) I know that Dan Herrmann investigated every golf association at the state, regional and city level throughout our red-and-blue 50 states before making his statement on the worth of the Philadelphia GA.

As a member of the Board of Directors of the Buffalo District Golf Association, we are on the rebound and looking for suggestions on what tourneys work (individual, handicap, two-man...) and what ones don't (husband-wife, five man...).  The New York State GA impresses me as a first-class operation (John Blain shout out), in whose tourneys I plan to play as long as my legs and wife allow.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

TEPaul

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 10:30:05 PM »
Tricks:

If you (a regional golf association) want the best advice out there go down and talk to the MET (Metropolitan Golf Association of New York). We (GAP) did some years ago about various issues we were involved with at the time.

In my opinion, there is no one out there better or more reliable and informative with advice on golf associations than the Met's Executive Director, Jay Mattolla.

Matter of fact, I should probably start another thread on the biographies and histories of some of the most significant regional golf administrators in American history. I think we would all learn a whole lot from it.

Of course the life and times and career of the USGA's Joe Dey is pretty much the "Father" of 'em all.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 10:36:20 PM by TEPaul »

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 12:51:33 AM »
I got Dan's back on this one. When you layer: the golf history, quality of courses in a compressed geographic area of that size, great architects that have and CURRENTLY reside in that area, caliber of amateur players (Sigel alone...nuff said) past AND present, and toss in the J.Wood Platt Caddie Scholarship Trust, the second largest of such organizations with, by far, the smallest footprint,...sorry Tricks...it ain't even close! GAP rules. Name me one that nails it better on that scale...worldwide!
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 01:55:25 AM »
Kris and Dan:

There is no question at all that for a regional golf association and one of moderate size, GAP's tournament season and schedule and offering and the clubs and courses they can use for no cost to the association for their membership players, the GAP may be the best in America.

I love that association for a lot of reasons and the guys I played with and against who knew it and came in here from other states and regions for things like USGA qualifiers confirmed that every time.

That was the good news. The bad news for me was I played in so much of what they offered for quite a few years and it wasn't until the president of the association told me one day that it was only one of three regional associations left in America that was made up of only private clubs.

I'll never forget how surprised I was to hear that. I think I said to him something like: "Do you mean to say I haven't been playing against all the best players in Philadelphia and its area?"

After that and probably because I wrote so many thank you letters to the clubs that hosted GAP events they put me on the board.

When I was on and shortly after that we heard Ashbourne was taking players off the street for a fee and at a board meeting it came up that was a violation of our Bylaws and for that they technically should be thrown out of GAP. I'll never forget that annual meeting at Green Valley and how the guys from Ashbourne begged us not to throw them out of GAP.

And I will never forget that board meeting of GAP after that and the president I mentioned above who became my primary mentor in golf administration, Bill Walsh, said that he and the GAP should not put up with that technicality. I even remember where he was sitting when he said that. And so the GAP Board voted to propose a Bylaw change to the entire membership that only two words should be removed from the Bylaws---eg "EXCLUSIVE USE" so that GAP could essentially or perhaps I should more accurately say, could technically, go public.

I don't remember the year, maybe like 1989 but that was the campaign of our lives with GAP. The dynamics were unbelievable----the clubs you thought would support the Bylaw change wouldn't and the ones you never suspected would support it were all for it. We actually thought and feared that the campaign may even destroy GAP after about ninety years.

Some of us made a thousand or more phone calls that spring and summer and fall and the annual meeting was at Manufacturers. Even at the meeting we didn't really know what would happen because we hadn't polled properly or nose counted. I wish I could remember now the club that cast the vote that put us over the top. I had tears in my eyes then and I admit I do now thinking about that night again.

What a time that was. I think it was our finest hour and I sure feel it was one of mine.

That's why I love golf and why I love GAP. Well, it's not the only reason but it is a super-fine reason for sure.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 02:19:01 AM by TEPaul »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 06:06:12 AM »
Interesting stuff, you Philly Phanatics...our women's BDGA still holds out as a privates-only association.  I don't see how that can work in these times, but they somehow do.

TEP,I'll tak you up on that...meantime, I hope other DG members from around the country chime in on this thread...I know that it is off-topic (technically speaking), but it is intrinsically linked to good golf in great formats with substantial fields on fine courses.

Would it be too much to ask other GA members/participants/board members about missteps and successes over the years?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Kyle Harris

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 06:14:33 AM »
Another close knit, semi-local group to Philadelphia is the Trenton District Golf Association.

When I worked at Cherry Valley, the Trenton District events seemed both well-attended and enjoyable and it remains a close knit group of clubs in the Trenton area, most of these clubs double as GAP members as well.

http://www.tdga.net/

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 08:31:44 AM »
If one were to travel the country talking to golf association administrators and the volunteer leadership of golf associatins, he would find that they all, universally, feel about their association the way TP and other contributors to this thread feel about their own associations. Rather than debate which are the "best" associations, it is more productive to think about each association as a link in a chain of organizations that are preserving the game as best as they can for the future benefit of all golf. As a former golf administrator, I can avow with great confidence that happenings and decisions made in one association often affect similar situations in other associations. While larger associations such as the MET do wield influence, an idea from the Wyoming GA may carry just as much weight in some circumstances.

Without ranking them, in my opinion the "heavyweights" in golf administration are the MetGA, the Chicago District GA, the Northern and Southern CA GAs, the Georgia GA, the Pacific Northwest GA, the Massachusetts GA, the Carolinas GA, the Florida GA, and the Arizona GA. There would not be much debate as to why these associations carry such weight- the prevelance of historical golf participation and influential clubs, and large numbers of active golfers. However, my personal experience is that every golf association has a history of dedicated service to the game. As large associations, they also attract  and keep (i.e., can pay) top administrative talent.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 08:43:51 AM »
Ronald:

If you are looking for ideas as to what kinds of tournaments will work for the members of the Buffalo District, why don't you ask them?

For too long GAs have been looking inside their boards and staffs for answers to questions such as yours. Look outside. If you want to gain support form your members, find out what they want and find a way to give it to them. Remember that only few will ever qualify to play in your championship. Get professional marketing advice; it will pay off.

Many GAs are finding success (financially but more importantly in building loyalty) through arranging member "play days" at hard to access clubs or courses. The course either donates the fee or charges a reduced fee. Carts are usually mandatory. There may be a competition involved- a par or bogey competition, or a beat-the-pro, with a minimal prize. Link the day to some fund raising purpose (caddie scholarships, for example); you might be able to sell sponsorships.

Some courses will not participate. That's strictly up to them. Get the best ones you can.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 09:35:34 AM »
Jim,
Excellent observations. I couldn't agree more. Sharing information,collaborating etc., amongst each other and beyond, certainly strengthens each organization and the game as well.

Tricks,
Good on ya for taking an active role in reviving the Buffalo golf scene! Others have provided some excellent insights as to what might generate sound ideas and direction for your group's efforts.

I will say that while many of the Tournaments and Championships are, and should be, geared to the top players, they represent a fraction of the total of those playing the game at most member clubs an organizations. Many golf organizations and association's historical focus has been riveted on this elite level play.

In light of the current pressures: economic, dwindling participation etc., wouldn't it make sense for organization to re-evaluate the mission and resource commitment? After all, what organization can remain healthy for long in today's climate.. looking principally after about 5% of its membership that participates in top level, competitive golf.

I'm all for maintaining top competitions for skilled players, but an almost singular focus on this aspect of the game, leaves other areas critically shortchanged, in my view. Explore a bit and I'm sure some worthwhile endeavors beyond that will emerge... that can only help the game, both in our respective regions and elsewhere.

Out of curiosity, about how many clubs in your area have caddie programs and who would be a source to tap to learn more about the particular clubs that offer them? As no one I' ve spoken with can give me an accurate appraisal, of where caddie golf is at present, numbers wise, I'm beginning to do some independent research and your area hasn't gotten much attention on the matter of late. Thanks in advance for any leads you may put my way!

Cheers,  8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

JohnV

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 10:11:58 AM »
I will say that while many of the Tournaments and Championships are, and should be, geared to the top players, they represent a fraction of the total of those playing the game at most member clubs an organizations. Many golf organizations and association's historical focus has been riveted on this elite level play.

It has always interested me that the East Coast associations seem to be almost exclusively into gross events, while the West Coast ones do many more net events.  Here at the NCGA we have 16 gross events and 12 net ones (counting the 14 zone tournaments as 1 as there is an overall championship at end of them).

It has been estimated that 50,000 entries play at the club level to play in the club tournaments (9 of the net ones above).  Not bad out of 150,000 members.

TEPaul

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 10:14:44 AM »
John:

Is the NCGA made up of individual members or member clubs or both?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back