News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kevin Pallier

Re: A memorable, quirky week in England & Wales - on to Pennard
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2010, 07:47:33 PM »
Thanks John

I have just added Pennard as a must see when I next visit the UK. It will be a good excuse for me to leave the Mrs with her family at Bristol while I visit the links across the border at Wales.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2010, 07:37:00 AM »
Kevin,
You won't be sorry. 

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2010, 08:53:22 AM »
John - Your pictorials are the one thing on GCA.com that I always show my wife. They are so much fun and clever. Thank you for helping us frame our memories of these courses with something other than the typical ass shots that wind up on my camera. Well done!!!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2010, 10:35:09 AM »
Thanks John

I have just added Pennard as a must see when I next visit the UK. It will be a good excuse for me to leave the Mrs with her family at Bristol while I visit the links across the border at Wales.

Kevin, don't know if you've played Burnham and Berrow, but it's even closer to Bristol, just south on the English side of the Bristol Channel.  It's a delightful course.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2010, 10:50:59 AM »
Thanks John

Kevin, don't know if you've played Burnham and Berrow, but it's even closer to Bristol, just south on the English side of the Bristol Channel.  It's a delightful course.

Just pick a day when the wind is not blowing 30+ mph from the N, NW.  The front nine can be unplayable under those conditions.

I didn't see much commentary about Southerndown?   Would like to hear impressions.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2010, 01:48:09 AM »

Bill

Yes - I have been fortunate to have graced the fairways of B&B. As you say - it's a delightful layout with some cracking holes.

Pennard and St Enodoc are two in the south-west region that I need to make a priority to see.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2010, 07:41:50 AM »
Michael,
Thanks.  I just wish I could be faster about posting sometimes.

Lou,
I'll post some photos of Southerndown in the next few days (hopefully). 

Jason Topp

« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2010, 01:56:39 PM »
It was a strange experience travelling with John for a week and to see him veer off in all sorts of strange directions to take these pictures.  I was particularly concerned about his fascination with sheep.

I really appreciate this thread because many of the details of the trip, such as the bench dented by what must have been a 2000 pound person, the lookout tower at Clyne and the funny signs that exist in that part of the world would have largely faded from memory by now.

The squirrel crossing sign - that memory will never fade, particularly given the ferociousness with which John demanded I stop the car. I thought I had run over something.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2010, 11:46:40 AM »
What wonderful photos and commentaries! There's a good book in the making here. Thank you, John.

Tony_Muldoon

Re: A memorable, quirky week in England & Wales - now featuring Clyne
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2010, 12:10:17 PM »

Reminds me of one of Sean’s best ....lines.

On the tee.  “The aim here is to keep it separate from Church and State...”
Let's make GCA grate again!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2010, 10:35:22 PM »
What wonderful photos and commentaries! There's a good book in the making here. Thank you, John.

Thanks.  That's very kind to say.

Jason,
I'm glad we had your quick reflexes behind the wheel.  And you were the guy driving the streets of Painswick.

Tony,
I don't think I had seen that line before.  It's classic.

John Mayhugh

Re: A memorable, quirky week in England & Wales - Southerndown posted
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2010, 10:36:29 PM »
Part of the fun of playing Pennard was staying in the lively city of Mumbles.  I took some photos but cannot seem to find them.  The one I really wanted to post was a photo of the White Rose pub just up the street from our B&B.  It’s been a LONG time since I was in a group to shut down a bar on back-to-back nights. Of course, one night was around midnight and the next around 11PM – Mumbles isn’t the liveliest place!

Before moving on to Southerndown, a brief story about the B&B or guest house that I stayed in.  Jason & I made the mistake of booking the accommodations in Mumbles on the night of our Porthcawl dinner. Like most Americans used to staying in hotels that are staffed 24 hours, I gave little thought to our time of arrival.  I did call a couple of times from Porthcawl to assure the proprietor that we were coming, but we ended up not getting there til past midnight.  I was the recipient of a tongue-lashing, where the lady of the house told me how lucky I was that she didn’t put a sign up in the window and let our rooms out to someone else.

The next morning at breakfast, Philip told her that he would only be staying one night instead of the two that he had reserved.  She informed him that he would have to pay for both nights because she really did not want to try to find someone else “off the street” to take his room.  I would have pointed out the inconsistency, but to be honest I was a little scared of her!  

Southerndown is not far from Porthcawl, but is a different type of course.  It’s called a “downland” course and is built on a layer of soil atop a large limestone hill.   It plays a lot like a links, and also has all sorts of heather, bracken, & gorse.  I expect at some point I’ll try to do a proper profile of the course as I think one is warranted.  Anywhere that Fernie, Fowler, Park, & Colt touched is worthy of study.

We arrived at Southerndown a bit late, and that resulted in a schedule conflict with a ladies event – a team competition they called a Ryder Cup.  The staff was very helpful in moving us around, but the net effect was a disruption to member play there and that was unfortunate.

The clubhouse is situated partly up a large hill.  This ruined castle sits at the bottom of the hill.

The castle from a bit nearer.

Southerndown also has sheep, and apparently an ineffective fence around the practice green.

Dogs, sadly, are not welcome.  Damned commoners agreement.

The course starts off with a huge hill climb.  Looking back from the first green shows how winded one might get at the start.

One benefit of the climb is the tremendous views, including this estuary.

Gorse and bracken are threats on most of the holes.  There is probably a bit too much in spots.

As you might expect given the architectural heritage, some really strong green sites and bunkering.

I had the toughest time figuring out what these coat racks were doing on the course.  Someone explained that these hold bags of divot mix.  Oh, that is way better than what I came up with.

At least I knew what this was for.

The two-level 18th fairway is worth a look.

In the clubhouse, a classic upstairs locker room. The glare from the window prevents you from seeing the awesome view of the course.

Other clubs would do well to follow Southerndown’s example here – a private club room for kids.  Great idea.

Southerndown was an excellent course.  It’s a hard one to describe, and I am sure a second trip around really helps one understand it better.  I’m really glad that I got to see it.  Amazing what a trip I had up until this point considering how little-known all of the courses are (at least outside of the UK and/or architecture geek circles).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 09:01:16 AM by John Mayhugh »

Sean_A

« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2010, 02:14:26 AM »
Tucky

I look forward to a proper review of Southerndown, not that your current musings aren't proper!  I too think it a wonderful course and despite my recent light bulb moment with Porthcawl Southerdown remains my second favourite in Wales.  As you rightly point out, the only real drawback to the course is the profusion of lost ball opportunities - nothing that a Merion like scythe can't cure.  Thanks for all the pix, they have been a wonderful reminder of an incredible itinerary.  Many props to ya.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark Pearce

« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2010, 04:55:55 AM »
John,

Yet another wonderful run of images.  I suspect the sheep are the reason no dogs are allowed at Southerndown.

It was a long time since I had played at Southerndown and the course was stronger than I remembered.  An excellent way to round off an excellent trip.  

Finally, my last abiding image of this year's BUDA will be the sight of Conrad standing by his car, parked on a roundabout, as you and Jason and I drove off, as he yet again pondered how anyone in the motor trade could be stupid enough to put unleaded in a diesel.  I'd have loved to have a picture of that.  Thanks again for the lift, it was the only way I was getting home that night!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 08:35:48 AM by Mark Pearce »
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2010, 10:49:47 PM »
Mark,
I guess the sheep would be a good reason not to let dogs come around.

If we hadn't given you a lift, we would never have gotten to see the timeless charm of Slough.  So we should be thanking you.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2010, 10:50:20 PM »
After Southerndown, it was time to head back to the London area for my last night of the trip and one final round of golf at Woking.  Mark Chaplin was good enough to provide a hotel recommendation in Worplesdon, and it was a nice little town to stay in.  At least to a small extent my trip included two of the Ws.

Before leaving the hotel to play golf, I took a little walk around the neighborhood.  Here’s something that you probably don’t see on many playgrounds in the US.

My flight home wasn’t until 2:30 in the afternoon, so we arranged to be first off Woking at 8AM.  We managed to arrive plenty early, with only one small wrong turn on the way.  The club isn’t the easiest to find.  Unfortunately, the pro’s shop was a bit slow to open that day, and I was starting to get nervous about finishing – why, I don’t know.  After all, a two-ball shouldn’t take more than three hours, even if taking lots of photos.

Completely unsolicited, the assistant secretary sent out someone from the clubhouse with a couple of scorecards.  He said that he had noticed the golf staff was running late that morning and did not want us to have to wait around.  Just come by and settle up after the round.  That little bit of thoughtfulness is one of my favorite memories of the trip.

We caught a foggy morning, so my photos aren’t the best.  Still, they help me remember another great day at the first heathland course.

Still gotta share the course.

The grounds are both simple and elegant.  The path to the left leads to the clubhouse & the one to the right the first tee.

The pro’s shop is in the same style as the clubhouse.

Though there is a pretty good practice area, this was also available near the clubhouse and first tee.  Do you really need anything more?

A few first tee instructions.  As we would see later, the instructions about the heather are warranted.

Here’s how you want to start the round……or do you?

The photo doesn’t do a good job of showing it, but the first green gives a great introduction to the cleverness of the greens.  The front to back slope on a driveable par 4 is an excellent defense.  Note the tall flagstick to aid your view from the tee.  How tall?

Pretty tall!

The green complex on the 3rd is really memorable for the shape of the green and the perfect placement of the bunker. 

Though the course is in many ways idyllic, there are reminders how near you are to a busy city.  A train going past might bother a lesser player.

Looking back towards the fairway on the famous 4th.  Tough hole location behind the bunker, and if you look closely you can see the outlines of the fairway bunkering as well.

Though not one of the more-discussed holes, this green site on the 5th speaks volumes about the simple charms of Woking.

As does this little stone bridge back at the tee.

Supposedly there is an airport or two nearby.

A water hazard!

With a bit of thoughtfulness & practicality thrown in.

I was really sorry that I didn’t get a chance to enjoy a drink on the patio, but was very glad that no one was sitting there when I had to hit my approach.  I did fine, but a bladed shot could be scary.

Not much water on the course, but apparently the need for a flotation device.  I would have gone with a different shape.

Just like the start of the round, the end also featured a short par 4.  Having been closed out in our match on the 17th,  I was free to pretend I was brave enough to go for the green off the tee.  Ended up short & dry.

My second trip to England, and I didn’t have to use one of these either time.  Luck, or is the wet weather exaggerated?  Or some of each?

We had a few minutes to look around the clubhouse, and I’m glad that I did.  On display are curling stones from the club’s old, old days.  A pretty good drubbing of Wimbledon back in 1903.

The highlight was reading some excerpts from the club’s suggestion book.  This one, signed by Stuart Paton, addressed concerns about hole locations.  Given the work that this brilliant amateur architect performed on the course, I hope they listened.

How to summarize this trip?  I think it’s safe to say that no one preceding us has played the same itinerary, and a travel company would have a tough time selling it.  I feel fortunate to have played each course we chose, and my only regret of the trip is getting but one trip around several of the courses.  I only hope to see each and every one of them again. 

Sean_A

Re: A memorable, quirky week in England & Wales - finished at Woking
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2010, 03:19:09 AM »
I don't know Tucky, your itinerary (and the fact you convinced someone to tag along!) is one of the best I have ever come across.  Its not often I am jealous of a tour, but you sir have brought it out in me.  THanks for all the effort of this expose.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2010, 05:58:43 AM »
Woking is the only decent course within a 100 miles that I have yet to play, Mayhugh's excellent shots have given me the drive to make sure I play there PDQ.

John the shape of the floatation device means even the fattest member can at least get an arm in!

Once again you've submitted a wonderful photo essay of a tour capturing the spirit of the clubs as well as decent course photos. Cannot wait for 2011's version.
Cave Nil Vino

James Boon

« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2010, 08:23:39 AM »
John,

A great collection of courses, pictures and memories! I very much look forward to next years Buda tour and the chance to catch up again! Thanks for completing the thread with Woking, as I'll be there just after Christmas if the weather holds out okay? It looks delightful.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2010, 09:30:29 AM »
Great work John! Why can't more of our 1000+ members share their experiences like John does? Altthough he doesn't do 18 tees and 18 greens you still get the flavour of each course he visits. Perhaps others don't possess the love of the game that John does. In any case cheers for  the tour and a happy Thanksgiving to one and all.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2010, 09:35:31 AM »
Pete - I'd say John gives us more of the flavour by not taking pictures of 18 tees and greens
Cave Nil Vino

John Mayhugh

« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2010, 09:58:05 PM »
Sean,
That is high praise indeed, though I deserve little credit.  All but three of the courses were either part of Buda or pre/post options.  Credit needs to go to you, Boony, & Tony for me having those on the itinerary.  I also have to credit you & Pearce for your love of Kington as that's what inspired me to commit the windshield time to see it.  Bill McBride sold me on Painswick and Jason picked out Woking for our wrap-up, so my part was easy. 

Mark & James,
Hoping Buda next year works out, but with Delta being stingy with frequent flier tickets and the trip to Australia, 2011 Buda may be more difficult than the last two.  I would hate to miss it.

Pete & Mark,
That's really nice of you to say.  Truth is, I just sort of stumbled across doing this because it seems so many courses already have detailed photo threads anyway. 

Scott Warren

Re: Re: A memorable, quirky week in England & Wales - finished at Woking
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2010, 10:28:13 PM »
Great pics of Woking, mate. I agree with you on #5 - it's a hole that deserves a lot more discussion than it gets. 1-6 is an amazing start.

Chappers, for 40 quid as a twilight rate, you should get there PDQ!

Jason Topp

« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2010, 11:32:08 PM »
I wondered when you would add Woking and now I realize I missed it.  Incidentally, I may have hit the train with that tee shot.  In the afternoon, I bailed out left.

This is the thread I send to people rather than try and explain the trip.  Trying to describe the trip in a way that a casual listener will understand is almost impossible.  This thread describes it perfectly in terms of place.

Now if I could figure out a way to explain the people that attend these events. . . .  

Maybe it is better that John's thread focuses on other things . . . .

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2010, 03:02:09 AM »
Thanks for a really enjoyable and informative tour, John.  All these courses are within three hours drive for me and as a relative newcomer to the game you have given me some great ideas for an itinery of my own. Kington, Painswick, and Penarth in particular look like essential stops.

Cheers
Duncan

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back